CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Vanderbilt Coaching Search (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203197)

wumarshall82 01-15-2014 09:32 PM

Vanderbilt Coaching Search

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...65/2072/SPORTS

He would be a great college coach I would think. Young with lots of NFL exp. Seemed like he was a pretty cool guy that had personality on Hard Knocks a couple of years ago. Could always have Marty come in for a good cry after losses too. (jk - he is a good one too)

The pool of known candidates for Vanderbilt’s football head coaching vacancy is growing.
St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Indianapolis offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton have joined Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason on the list of potential replacements for James Franklin, according to reports.
Schottenheimer is interviewing for the position today, according to 247Sports.com. Hamilton’s name surfaced late Monday as candidate, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who cited “multiple league sources.”

2000grad 01-15-2014 09:42 PM

Re: Vanderbilt Coaching Search

Chad Morris IS the best fit for Vandy. College experience in 2 different conferences and is the real reason those teams won. Outcoaches the head coach wherever he goes

GoldenSpur7 01-15-2014 09:56 PM

After seeing what O'Brien did with the Penn St offense, the idea of hiring an NFL OC (Schottenheimer, Hamilton), who has developed his play calling at an elite level, has to be somewhat attractive. Mason has done a good job with Stanford's D. The article doesn't give much indication of whether he has any recruiting ties in the South, though.

usc90grad 01-15-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4060466)
Chad Morris IS the best fit for Vandy. College experience in 2 different conferences and is the real reason those teams won. Outcoaches the head coach wherever he goes

Agree

TKE226 01-15-2014 10:21 PM

i actually think Vandy will not go in the toilet. I think Franklin gave them name recognition and the pay is good, so its an attractive job now. an NFL OC is a good route for them, or an inovative OC in college. They will be a pest for a few years depending on who they get.

hellraiser24 01-15-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 (Post 4060487)
After seeing what O'Brien did with the Penn St offense, the idea of hiring an NFL OC (Schottenheimer, Hamilton), who has developed his play calling at an elite level, has to be somewhat attractive. Mason has done a good job with Stanford's D. The article doesn't give much indication of whether he has any recruiting ties in the South, though.

Because I don't believe he does. But has been recruiting players to attend a very prestigious university, academically speaking. That is probably a big selling point for him.

wumarshall82 01-15-2014 11:03 PM

Sounds like they aren't interested in Morris OR Morris wasnt interested in Vandy. It's a lose lose being in the SEC and Franklin is destroying their recruiting class

GoldenSpur7 01-15-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellraiser24 (Post 4060585)
Because I don't believe he does. But has been recruiting players to attend a very prestigious university, academically speaking. That is probably a big selling point for him.

Bold: good point.

Acockolypse Now 01-16-2014 12:05 AM

THE most important factor in who they hire is recruiting. If Vandy slips a little next year it's not that big of a deal, but two years in a row down would start a death spiral for a coach with no name recognition.

ReadR00ster 01-16-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wumarshall82 (Post 4060589)
Sounds like they aren't interested in Morris OR Morris wasnt interested in Vandy. It's a lose lose being in the SEC and Franklin is destroying their recruiting class

What are the Vandy fan's saying about him. Do they hate his guts yet?

b381l 01-16-2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4060466)

If Morris was a legitimate HC, he would have been gone by now.

b381l 01-16-2014 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellraiser24 (Post 4060585)

I think Vandy had more players arrested last year than any other SEC team.

2000grad 01-16-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4060854)

You do realize who he has whispering sweet nothings in his ear and leaving notes on his desk that read: I like you. Do you like me? Please check a box...yes, no, maybe. Please, please, please stay

treys1986 01-16-2014 08:41 AM

From what I've gathered, Morris was certainly interested in the Vandy job, and he was certainly interested in the Louisville job.

In fact, I read an article that a Clemson website put out that said that he was quite upset that he didn't get a real chance at landing the Louisville job.

Something is strange....I've heard rumblings that he may not interview all that well. Maybe thats it.

Carolina Pride 01-16-2014 09:51 AM

Seems like Morris may be shooting higher than his stock is with some of these jobs. He always seems to be about third in line for a lot of these HC jobs.

Maybe he isn't as high in demand as everyone would have you believe he is

usc90grad 01-16-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4060854)

I read schools are impressed with his coaching skills, but his presonality has been the deal breaker. A rock has more personality apparently.

Tailfeathers 01-16-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treys1986 (Post 4060897)
From what I've gathered, Morris was certainly interested in the Vandy job, and he was certainly interested in the Louisville job.

In fact, I read an article that a Clemson website put out that said that he was quite upset that he didn't get a real chance at landing the Louisville job.

Something is strange....I've heard rumblings that he may not interview all that well. Maybe thats it.

Looks like he'll be at CLEM5ON to take over when Bama comes calling for Daba.

mick66 01-16-2014 09:58 AM

Morris is that car you saw on EBay. Everything looks perfect, you confirm it's still available so you get the $$ and drive 9 hours to somewhere in northeast Alabama, but when you get there somehow it doesn't look as good as it did in the photos, and the interior smells like a mix of cigarette smoke and air freshener. Then when you crank it up you can tell something isn't right. It's a bummer, but you get back in your car and drive home because you don't want to get stuck with a clunker.

trapper82 01-16-2014 10:10 AM

WUMarshall,

I have a very sincere question for you. I have yet to see one Clemson fan here admit that it would be good idea for Morris to take the Vandy job if it was really offered to him. All I have seen is that he's going nowhere, he likes it where he is. And all that can be true, but still, you are talking a huge raise and a promotion, and you'll start your coaching career in a premier conference with BCS and great bowl game ties.

So the question is this: Do you believe Chad Morris wants the Vandy job or not. If not, why?

JaxcockFL 01-16-2014 10:32 AM

The quotes above about Chad are identical to those about Charley Strong when he was here and at UF.