CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Would you consider the Mens Basketball Team (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203239)

M.C. 01-16-2014 05:52 PM

Would you consider the Mens Basketball Team

a black eye to the athletic program? I'm by no means suggesting that it is just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

johnnyb 01-16-2014 05:53 PM

Re: Would you consider the Mens Basketball Team

no more than the football program was

boowilliam4 01-16-2014 05:58 PM

Did we consider them a black eye in 1997 when they were SEC champs? If anything our baseball program has more than made up for what has been lacking in our basketball department.

M.C. 01-16-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4061473)
no more than the football program was

I just hope Martin is the guy to turn it around

B-G 01-16-2014 06:04 PM

No because they still make the athletic program money.
More than any sport but football.

johnnyb 01-16-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4061479)
I just hope Martin is the guy to turn it around

the team this year reminds me of the football team in the years right after spurrier took over...they seem to have issues playing as a team, and sometimes let small mistakes "get in their head" and it costs them the game

baitandswitch 01-16-2014 06:07 PM

How could anyone think that? It's not like we go 0 for.

Luke Skycocker 01-16-2014 07:27 PM

No

USCfootball 01-16-2014 07:44 PM

I don't think so. It's not like the team has ever been a powerhouse. I think 15 wins and the occaisional NIT appearance is good.

ds401 01-16-2014 07:48 PM

No.

I wish tons more students went to the games. My husband calls me the lone cheerer. I get looks when I cheer/yell. I find my yelling distracts the opposing team when they have the ball. Students are more vocal than fans my age (50's). SOOOO....... praying for more students to show up and stay the game.

The players have to get mad enough to play like their life depends on it. They played this past game better in rebounding.

carolina2010 01-16-2014 07:48 PM

No... But it was sweet to hear Mckie again on television last night from the announcers. Had a flashback to Ryan Stack, Melvin Watson, Jamel Bradley, Carlos Powell... I know they all didn't play together but it feels like a long time since all those guys played in the garnet and black.

USCfootball 01-16-2014 07:52 PM

The out of conference results this year have been a downside. However, games against Baylor, OK St. were gauranteed loses. Considering 4 gauranteed conf loses (UK and FLA) a 21-10 record would have been an OUTSTANDING season.

I think right now 14-17 looks realistic going into SEC championship play. I wouldn't be suprised to see a better record either.

Qatarcock 01-16-2014 09:22 PM

Yes.

Considering the success of the football team, baseball team, and women's basketball team, right now the men's basketball team is the black eye of the athletic department. Hopefully Frank the Tank is the man to turn it back around and make them relevant yet again. (This comes from someone who attended every game when I was in SC and continues to have basketball season tickets which my family originally obtained in the 80's.)

We should expect and demand more from our basketball team and not be satisfied with anything other than a regular tourney team (insert Eddie Fogler joke here). It is because I expect that, combined with the success of the other teams, that it is currently a black eye. At least we are not in the Newton era!!!!!

roosterdude21 01-16-2014 09:46 PM

I'm sure Martin will get it turned around

Spur's Addiction 01-16-2014 09:59 PM

no

gamecock88 01-16-2014 10:04 PM

No, but they can see the punch coming from where they are.

Gamecocks1137 01-16-2014 10:19 PM

I voted yes, not because I do not believe in our team to turn it around. It is because I feel as if they are't motivated. Marcus Lattimore should come speak to this team. They need to hear it from an outside voice.

2000grad 01-16-2014 10:22 PM

Our lacrosse team is winless. That is shame right there

M.C. 01-16-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4061821)
Our lacrosse team is winless. That is shame right there

Isn't that a club sport

Cockhornleghorn 01-16-2014 10:57 PM

This is only Frank's 2nd season. I am certain he will get it turned around. Dawn Staley had her detractors in her first 2 seasons, too.