CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Car drives off Blossom Street Bridge (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203248)

usc1 01-17-2014 12:34 AM

Car drives off Blossom Street Bridge

Bridge closed off for now...lots of rescue personnel on the scene. Hope whoever it is survived that. I can't imagine being the guy behind him and watching the car in front of you drive off the bridge in to the water.

http://www.wistv.com/story/24477345/...lands-in-water

ktguen 01-17-2014 12:42 AM

Re: Car drives off Blossom Street Bridge

Passed it driving back from a friend's going away dinner. Scary! I'm not sure surviving that is possible, it's so rocky and doesn't appear to be very deep. Prayers for all involved.

usc90grad 01-17-2014 10:09 AM

2 dead. How in the heck can you drive off a bridge?

USCBatgirl21 01-17-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4062305)
2 dead. How in the heck can you drive off a bridge?

Man and woman in the vehicle. I saw an earlier report where a witness said the vehicle slammed on brakes, swerved, and went off the bridge. I wonder if they were fighting in the vehicle and then lost control.

So very sad all around.

Spur's Addiction 01-17-2014 10:47 AM

The river under there is not very deep. Probably no more then a few feet. Plus very rocky.

usc90grad 01-17-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4062335)
Man and woman in the vehicle. I saw an earlier report where a witness said the vehicle slammed on brakes, swerved, and went off the bridge. I wonder if they were fighting in the vehicle and then lost control.

So very sad all around.

Aren't their barricades or sides to the bridge that prevent this? Been a while since I've been on Blossom Street.

ktguen 01-17-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4062370)
Aren't their barricades or sides to the bridge that prevent this? Been a while since I've been on Blossom Street.

Yes, they took down the whole side as they went over.

davidmc467 01-17-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah but if you go fast enough, you're going into that river.

Talk about a horrifying experience for those two people.

USCBatgirl21 01-17-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

As KT mentions, they took out the entire concrete side to the bridge, which really is no higher than the hood of an SUV like the one that went over.

I go over that bridge all the time getting to Carolina Stadium, and in my little Kia, I can easily see over the sides driving by. They aren't very high.

davidmc467 01-17-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4062400)
As KT mentions, they took out the entire concrete side to the bridge, which really is no higher than the hood of an SUV like the one that went over.

I go over that bridge all the time getting to Carolina Stadium, and in my little Kia, I can easily see over the sides driving by. They aren't very high.

You know, I always figured the Gervais Street bridge would be the place where accidents like this happen. That bridge is scary narrow.

hellraiser24 01-17-2014 12:02 PM

The river is actually pretty high right now. Riverfront Park is closed because the water is pouring over some parts of the trail. I can't recall a time where I have seen the river higher than it is now.

markymark550 01-17-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmc467 (Post 4062410)
You know, I always figured the Gervais Street bridge would be the place where accidents like this happen. That bridge is scary narrow.

Yeah, that one is pretty narrow. But I would have thought it would have been the bridge on I-126 with something happening when somebody tries to see how fast they can go over that bridge.

Regardless, prayers to the families of those involved.

Acockolypse Now 01-17-2014 12:22 PM

Dude may have had a heart attack at the wheel.

Damn that's sad.

usc90grad 01-17-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4062375)
Yes, they took down the whole side as they went over.

Thanks...thought that was the case. Sounds like they hit it at a high rate of speed. Texting and driving or heath issue caused the driver to hit the gas...just assuming.

uscgmck 01-17-2014 02:50 PM

Not trying to derail the thread but take a look as you travel around the state or country. Notice how guard rail guidelines (height mostly) have not changed in years. Here locally in Mississippi, yes I know its Mississippi but on I-20-I-59-I-55-I-10 a lot of places that need them don't even have guard rails. The bigger problem is that with today's trucks, SUV and crossovers a slight increase in speed or hard turn of the wheel sends you sailing over the low guard rails. On one part of the Ross Barnett Dam 4 SUV's went over the rails into the water, rails to low for higher top heavy vehicles. They after saying no money to replace, found money after the first lawsuit was filed.

That man and woman last night did not stand a chance according to reports.

Gaichon 01-17-2014 03:18 PM

I've driven, rode a bike, or walked over that bridge many times (not to mention floated under it) and wondered when/if this was going to happen. Sorta ironic - I found a license plate on the river bottom years ago right where it looks like they went over.

Carolina4Life 01-17-2014 03:29 PM

Been across many bridges but the Blossom St. one has always been scary to me. People drive way to fast on it and it's a tight squeeze.

rioninusc 01-17-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4062609)
Been across many bridges but the Blossom St. one has always been scary to me. People drive way to fast on it and it's a tight squeeze.

When did a 4 lane highway with a walking path become a tight squeeze? You sure as heck wouldn't want to go over some of the bridges in the country. That guard rail is most likely just there to prevent pedestrians from falling off, not cars. Sad to see nonetheless.

ktguen 01-17-2014 06:47 PM

Two people died, a 35 year old male and a 40 year old female. The lady actually survived the fall and was taken to the hospital and died there. The man was still in the car and was dead when they found him. They wrecked about 9:45pm and they pulled the car out around 1:30am.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeKZ06bIcAATcCy.jpg

Metalrush24 01-17-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4062400)

Yeah, I have to go over the bridge every day (live just on the other side of it in West Cola) and have walked over it a number of times and the shortness of the concrete rails is surprising once you walk up to it. They're high enough to go just passed the midpoint of the average man(I'm 5'11" so that's about what I consider average) but I've always thought that if you were on a bike, you could easily accidentally scrape the rail and go over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellraiser24 (Post 4062432)
The river is actually pretty high right now. Riverfront Park is closed because the water is pouring over some parts of the trail. I can't recall a time where I have seen the river higher than it is now.

The levels now aren't as high anymore, believe it or not. This was the first thing I thought, because the normal levels are maybe 3-4' beneath the bridge, but from Monday-Wednesday it was significantly higher, like you said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4062717)
When did a 4 lane highway with a walking path become a tight squeeze? You sure as heck wouldn't want to go over some of the bridges in the country. That guard rail is most likely just there to prevent pedestrians from falling off, not cars. Sad to see nonetheless.

They're referring to the Gervais bridge, which is incredibly narrow and the one I thought this type of accident might occur on.

Sad situation, nonetheless.