CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203295)

JohnnyR2211 01-18-2014 09:17 PM

Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Raise your hand if you still turn to the game and get pissed when we lose even though you know we're gonna blow it.

I get so mad when we let games get away, I wouldn't mind if we pulled a Marcus Camby or a Derrick Rose. Can we please just pay off some recruits for ONE great year. I'm talking SEC title (tourney or SEC) and a couple of NCAA wins? I'm so damn sick of pulling for a team that chokes! And this is the only one that has been "rebuilding" for so long. I swear after Devan Downey left and Dominique Archie got hurt we've been toast. How is it that these small schools like Wichita St., Winthrop, Butler, St. Louis, etc. go to the tourney and win games and a major school in SC can't win, but yet we can field title caliber teams in football and baseball year in and year out? It just blows my mind so much.

I know Frank Martin is good. I know this, but I mean this is just so senseless that we can lose this damn close EVERY time. Be on the cusp EVERY time, but NOT THERE EVERY TIME. Don't get me wrong, I love the school, but Jesus how much can you take? The women's team turned it around (different dynamic I know), but it's like this is the major anomaly of our athletic department.

Cockhornleghorn 01-18-2014 09:26 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 (Post 4063649)
Raise your hand if you still turn to the game and get pissed when we lose even though you know we're gonna blow it.

I get so mad when we let games get away, I wouldn't mind if we pulled a Marcus Camby or a Derrick Rose. Can we please just pay off some recruits for ONE great year. I'm talking SEC title (tourney or SEC) and a couple of NCAA wins? I'm so damn sick of pulling for a team that chokes! And this is the only one that has been "rebuilding" for so long. I swear after Devan Downey left and Dominique Archie got hurt we've been toast. How is it that these small schools like Wichita St., Winthrop, Butler, St. Louis, etc. go to the tourney and win games and a major school in SC can't win, but yet we can field title caliber teams in football and baseball year in and year out? It just blows my mind so much.

I know Frank Martin is good. I know this, but I mean this is just so senseless that we can lose this damn close EVERY time. Be on the cusp EVERY time, but NOT THERE EVERY TIME. Don't get me wrong, I love the school, but Jesus how much can you take? The women's team turned it around (different dynamic I know), but it's like this is the major anomaly of our athletic department.

The women made the NCAA's in Dawn Staley's 4th season. This is Frank's second. Frank will turn it around, just like Dawn did.

Gamecocks1137 01-18-2014 09:35 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn (Post 4063662)
The women made the NCAA's in Dawn Staley's 4th season. This is Frank's second. Frank will turn it around, just like Dawn did.

I hope your right, and I agree with his style of coaching. I just hope he isn't such a hot head that it is pissing off the players. Even though I know they need to man up about it.

Wardkd2012 01-18-2014 09:36 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Just have faith. Frank Martin is a great coach. Half the roster are freshman. You can't turn a program around in just two years. Look at Spurrier. His second year with South Carolina, we weren't anything to look at. It took him 7 years to get us our first double-digit win season. I know you can't really compare football to basketball, but you can't turn a program that has basically been nothing better than mediocrity into relevance in just two years. Martin has recruiting line here in the SEC. I have faith that he will turn the basketball team around. Just watch in a year or two, these games that we are blowing at the end will turn into wins.

Wardkd2012 01-18-2014 09:37 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
*Martin has to establish the recruiting here in the SEC*

Gamecocks1137 01-18-2014 09:39 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wardkd2012 (Post 4063682)
*Martin has to establish the recruiting here in the SEC*

If we could pick up that Seven kid.. man we would be set.

Gamecocks1137 01-18-2014 09:40 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wardkd2012 (Post 4063682)
*Martin has to establish the recruiting here in the SEC*


Sorry post was duplicated.

boowilliam4 01-18-2014 09:44 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Frank is just getting his ball players in to play here. Give the man a chance before you doubt him.

CockTail 01-18-2014 09:48 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
This team should have won the last 2 games. Last year this team never had a chance in most games, and not competitive. This team is better, playing mostly freshmen and sophomores. When they learn how to close out games, we will be fine. Made no mistake, closing out games has to be learned, we are just not there yet.

beak2 01-18-2014 09:50 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Dawn Staley had a losing record after her first 3 seasons, if I am not mistaken, and Frank Mcguire won 6 games his 1st season here and 11 the next. It takes time to build, why does everyone keep forgetting that.
go cocks!!

Regalcock 01-18-2014 09:50 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CockTail (Post 4063702)
This team should have won the last 2 games. Last year this team never had a chance in most games, and not competitive. This team is better, playing mostly freshmen and sophomores. When they learn how to close out games, we will be fine. Made no mistake, closing out games has to be learned, we are just not there yet.

Well said!

Cockhornleghorn 01-18-2014 09:54 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4063680)
I hope your right, and I agree with his style of coaching. I just hope he isn't such a hot head that it is pissing off the players. Even though I know they need to man up about it.

I don't want this to come across as exceedingly arrogant, but I know I'm right. I've been to virtually every Carolina home game in the last 32 seasons and Frank WILL turn it around. We'll win a few more games next year and then have a break out season the following year. Please refer back to this post 2 years from now.

Ahmad 01-18-2014 10:16 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
We're just a player or two away. I think we need a more athletic big man and a wing player that is a consistent finisher. Those are the two glaring weaknesses that I see with the team.

jonick 01-18-2014 10:25 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmad (Post 4063739)
We're just a player or two away. I think we need a more athletic big man and a wing player that is a consistent finisher. Those are the two glaring weaknesses that I see with the team.

Point is we can't seem to get those type players to come here.. we'll see what happens..not going anywhere I don't think...

Gamecocks1137 01-18-2014 10:26 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonick (Post 4063748)
Point is we can't seem to get those type players to come here.. we'll see what happens..not going anywhere I don't think...

IF we can pick up that Seventh kid. His highlights are unreal. We need him, I hope we pursue him with everything we have, or UNC is going to take him from us.

Ahmad 01-18-2014 10:49 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
I think the first big recruit we need to get is 2015 Doral Moore from GA his teammate Temarcus Blanton is already a Gamecock signee

b381l 01-18-2014 11:03 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
We really need a big player that is active...not necessarily a scorer, but gets rebounds and blocks shots.

aftertwobowls 01-18-2014 11:18 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4063780)
We really need a big player that is active...not necessarily a scorer, but gets rebounds and blocks shots.

I just watched Coach Martin's post-game presser. He was talking about how bad our defensive rebounding was and that 4 of our big men combined for 4 total defensive rebounds today. Our guards are out-rebounding our big men right now, and it's pathetic.

robgusc76 01-18-2014 11:29 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
I dont know a lot about the x's and 0's of basketball, but just from someone who is learning the game, this team has improved lots since last season. They're getting better. Just gotta give it time. We watched it with football, its the same process.

Gamecocks1137 01-18-2014 11:41 PM

Re: Can we be honest about the state of our bball program right now?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aftertwobowls (Post 4063788)
I just watched Coach Martin's post-game presser. He was talking about how bad our defensive rebounding was and that 4 of our big men combined for 4 total defensive rebounds today. Our guards are out-rebounding our big men right now, and it's pathetic.

I just watched it again, and let me reiterate how much I think Martin is our guy. He is a great coach. I believe I can wait on him to get his players here and get us going once and for all.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.