CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Clemson Sexual Assault (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203311)

ElectricCock 01-19-2014 03:24 PM

Clemson Sexual Assault

Hate to see stuff like this happen. They found her unconscious in front of the science building.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1

ccured 01-19-2014 04:12 PM

Re: Clemson Sexual Assault

Hope she recovers. Hope they catch the sob

ktguen 01-19-2014 04:22 PM

I hope they catch whoever did this and lock them away

USCBatgirl21 01-19-2014 04:45 PM

While I hate this happened, and no ones wants to see anyone hurt, why was she out after dark jogging alone?
One of the first things they tell you is NEVER go out alone after dark. Too often a little common sense can prevent things like this from happening.

ds401 01-19-2014 08:45 PM

It doesn't give some AHole the right to hurt a female. I use to have to take the subway/'L' in Chicago to school. I use to hold my tailoring shears, noone ever sat next to me or bothered me:) I was 17 yrs. old.

I find it odd that this happened on campus. Wonder if it was a student who committed the crime.

ktguen 01-19-2014 08:58 PM

A college campus should be safe at any hour! Students are always walking around late at night/early in the morning. Not a good decision to be alone but she still shouldn't have to worry about being assaulted.

johnnyb 01-19-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4064349)
A college campus should be safe at any hour! Students are always walking around late at night/early in the morning. Not a good decision to be alone but she still shouldn't have to worry about being assaulted.

Should be, you nailed it..unfortunately we don't live in the perfect world where it is, there are bad people in this world, and they target those who appear to be weak, especially women/elderly/handicapped. Should it be that way? Nope, but it is and you and I have to live in it. So do what you can to protect yourself and limit your exposure, make wise decisions.

All that being said, I am not blaming the young lady for this horrible act, just hoping since it happened it will serve the purpose of making people be more aware of their situation and surroundings.

TS-45 Gamecock 01-19-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4064166)
While I hate this happened, and no ones wants to see anyone hurt, why was she out after dark jogging alone?
One of the first things they tell you is NEVER go out alone after dark. Too often a little common sense can prevent things like this from happening.

I don't understand what the hell you are trying to say here. Is it her fault because she went jogging alone after dark or she didn't have enough common sense?

Was she asking for it?

DJCatfish 01-20-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Good point, I almost forgot that women shouldn't jog after dark. If they can't get their jog in before 5:30 PM in January, they just need to get on the treadmill. Otherwise they basically want to be raped. That is just common sense.

wthforever 01-20-2014 01:28 AM

Thought I remember hearing a while back where Clemson recruiters were using that against USC, telling the parents or something, that Columbia is a dangerous town, on and on?

GamecockUltimate 01-20-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4064603)
Good point, I almost forgot that women shouldn't jog after dark. If they can't get their jog in before 5:30 PM in January, they just need to get on the treadmill. Otherwise they basically want to be raped. That is just common sense.

Quit being a smartass. Use some common sense, clearly she didn't imply that. Read deeper and speak less

MisterClowney 01-20-2014 03:27 AM

I thought bad things only happened in Columbia.

bobbycock 01-20-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ds401 (Post 4064341)
It doesn't give some AHole the right to hurt a female. I use to have to take the subway/'L' in Chicago to school. I use to hold my tailoring shears, noone ever sat next to me or bothered me:) I was 17 yrs. old.

I find it odd that this happened on campus. Wonder if it was a student who committed the crime.

The difference between what you did and this jogger is the fact that you had to do what you did...she didn't need to be jogging late at night. She lacked common sense. But I hope she recovers from this ordeal.

usc90grad 01-20-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

She was on campus, not jogging through the hood.

Surprised to see you blaming this on the victim.

USCBatgirl21 01-20-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4064722)
She was on campus, not jogging through the hood.

Surprised to see you blaming this on the victim.

ODL people. Not blaming the victim at all. Just saying what everyone is thinking, especially if you read the comments on the news outlets Facebook pages.

It doesn't matter where she was jogging. Young women are told from the moment they get on campus (and many are told by their parents as they are growing up) NOT to go anywhere after dark alone because it makes you more vulnerable to crime. IT IS UNSAFE! Even in the article the police point out how unsafe it is to go out alone after dark. So I guess they are blaming the victim too. When I was in school 20+ years ago, we always went in groups after dark. If you had late classes you found someone in your class going to the same dorm as you to walk with. If you had to go park your car and walk back to the dorm you got your roommate or someone on your hall to go with you. Why? SAFETY IN NUMBERS.

Yes, we should expect to be safe on college campuses, even after dark. BUT that is not the world we live in. I wonder, had she been walking home alone from Tiger Town Tavern (or had it been one of our students walking home alone from 5 Points) how quick many of you would have been to point out the same thing - that it could have been avoided had she been in a group? But oh no...you can't point that out if something happens on campus.

Again, no one asks to be attacked. But I'm standing by my statements that in ANY situation when someone (male or female) is attacked (be it mugged, raped, whathaveyou) being out alone after dark makes one more vulnerable and criminals look for those people. There is a reason why we tell people not to be out alone after dark.

Sadly, this is yet another example that the Police and University Officials will have to illustrate their point.

Legalman72 01-20-2014 09:34 AM

As a father of a young lady, I cannot imagine the anguish, nor do I want to try. Praying for that young lady and her family.

yazoo 01-20-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4064603)

No, there are options. Just find a partner to run with and make decisions that are less risky.

The Yancey 01-20-2014 09:57 AM

That woman has the right to be anywhere and anytime and to NOT be a victim. She does not share one iota of blame here. In the future I suggest that she pack heat or at least some mace or a Taser on her keychain. Nail the bastards!

thekob 01-20-2014 10:10 AM

No one is saying she carries any blame at all, just what she did goes against what people (women especially) are taught about how to keep safe. Regardless, an awful event and prayers to the victim and her family, and hellfire and brimstone to the assailant.

JaxcockFL 01-20-2014 12:32 PM

Man, I read this thread and then a couple about the super bowl and the ad at the top of the page showed a CWP ad, then a super bowl ad. Freaky.

Well, certainly men and women should be able to go anywhere that they are allowed to at any time without fear of attack. Unfortunately, the reality is that steps should be taken to reduce the risk that is part of life.

That being said, the best result of this moving forward is that the SOB is caught, prosecuted and incarcerated for as long as possible. This poor girl went for a jog and her whole life changed in a terrible way. Prayers to her and her family and friends for this life long ordeal.