CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Jamacian Bobsled team qualifies for Sochi, needs PayPal donations (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203313)

ktguen 01-19-2014 04:42 PM

Jamacian Bobsled team qualifies for Sochi, needs PayPal donations

Jamaican Bobsledders Seek Money for Sochi Trip

With a little bit of perseverance, Jamaicaís Winston Watts has appeared to qualify as a bobsled pilot at next monthís Olympics. Without a little bit of money, though, the latest edition of the Jamaican bobsled team might not actually appear in the Sochi Games.

Watts, 46, has been the catalyst for the teamís resurgence, as he came out of retirement and raised funds (and chipped in some of his own money) to help himself and his partner, Marvin Dixon, through qualification and now hopes to compete in his fourth Olympics. Watts is a naturalized American who lives in Evanston, Wyo., a town about an hour from Park City, Utah, where the United States bobsled team often trains.

The Jamaica Olympic Association offers the bobsled team little funding; Watts and Dixon have done just about everything to raise money, including begging for donations via PayPal on their website.

They did not even have enough money to fly to St. Moritz, Switzerland, this weekend to compete in the final qualifying event. Instead, they waited and watched the results, hoping they would not be passed in the overall standings by too many teams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/19/sp...trip.html?_r=0

2000grad 01-19-2014 04:52 PM

Re: Jamacian Bobsled team qualifies for Sochi, needs PayPal donations

It's going to be a bright sunshiny day

Thenardier 01-19-2014 05:33 PM

Feel the rythm, feel the rhyme, it's bobsled time! Cool Runnings! Lol

FanofCarolina1 01-19-2014 09:34 PM

Maybe Usain Bolt could donate?

usctiburon03 01-20-2014 01:57 AM

Its extremely ironic as I was just watching Cool Runnings on Starz earlier today. Weird.

GregoryHouse 01-20-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usctiburon03 (Post 4064659)
Its extremely ironic as I was just watching Cool Runnings on Starz earlier today. Weird.

You mean coincidental.

RockRocks787 01-20-2014 09:28 AM

usc90grad 01-20-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4064715)
You mean coincidental.

:lol:

Travelin 01-20-2014 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's all smoke and mirrors, well mostly smoke. They're just raising money for more ganja.

Thenardier 01-20-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GH (Post 4064715)
You mean coincidental.

I was going to say serendipitous, lol

Biocockanics 01-20-2014 01:34 PM

If you can't afford to go to something, don't waste your and others time.

Donations to play games, GFY

Spur's Addiction 01-20-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4064966)

That's the Olympic spirit!

CockLurker 01-20-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Says the guy that follows American sports.

At least they will be representing their country.

I hope you've never in your life paid to see any sporting event, movie, concert, etc. Because that'd be a bit hypocritical.

Thenardier 01-20-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Facepalm

Biocockanics 01-20-2014 03:20 PM

I paid to go see sporting events when I had the money, I didn't beg for donations so I could go. I had to quit travel sports bc my family couldn't afford it...we didn't start begging for money.

Work for what you have and for what you earn, stop begging others for handouts.

spareparts 01-20-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

You need to hang out with the Jamaican Bobsled team, listen to some of that Bob Marley from the Rainbow, partake of some white widow, and chill

JAH RASTAFARI

GregoryHouse 01-20-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4065062)
I paid to go see sporting events when I had the money, I didn't beg for donations so I could go. I had to quit travel sports bc my family couldn't afford it...we didn't start begging for money.

Work for what you have and for what you earn, stop begging others for handouts.

They aren't going on a day trip to Charlotte for ribbon dancing so as much as you think you can relate to Olympic athletes, you know nothing Jon Snow.

US Athlete's also depend on donations and coporate sponsors
Quote:

The following are 10 things you may not know about how athletes pay their way to the Olympics.

1. The U.S. is one of just three countries which do not provide government funding for their Olympic program. Instead, the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) relies on corporate and individual donations, as well as the sale of broadcast rights in order to train and underwrite the full expense of the U.S. team in the Olympics, Paralympics, Pan American and Parapan American Games.

2. Many small business owners take it upon themselves to help fund Olympic hopefuls. For example, Keith Hanson owns several shoe stores in Detroit, Michigan and provides runners with free housing, health insurance, coaching, free running shoes and part-time jobs in his stores.

3. In Colorado, companies like Home Depot, JCPenney and US West participate in the Olympic Job Opportunities Program, which matches U.S. Olympic and Paralympics hopefuls with employers who will work around their training and competition schedule. Home Depot, for example, provides athletes with a 20-hour workweek -- but pays them for a full 40 hours. In 2006, 33 of the 211 U.S. team members worked for Home Depot.

4. Other countries like China pay a mere $230 monthly stipend and performance-based bonuses to their athletes, while Sport Canada pays their Olympians $1500 a month. However, as of 2006, 70 percent of their athletes were below the poverty line.

5. Olympic Training Centers in Colorado Springs, Colorado , Lake Placid, New York and Chula Vista, California offer free room, board and training to athletes competing in the Olympics.

6. Private citizens get in on the act as well, as in the past, grade-schoolers in Sioux City, Iowa, held a bake sale and collected recyclable bottles and cans, while second graders from Georgia collected pennies to help fund America's Olympic team.

7. The U.S. Olympic Foundation, which was partially funded with excess money from the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles, gives half its assets to the USOC member organizations and invests the rest to provide for future athletes.

8. Those member organizations that the USOC funds (aka National Governing Bodies) support various training and athlete development programs. Each NGB governs a specific sport and raises funds to train athletes, educate coaches, enhance training facilities and cover travel expenses.

9. Big business also comes into play, as many corporations support U.S. athletes in exchange for the ability to use the Olympic symbol in their adverting. Many of these companies include, Bank of America, General Motors, Johnson & Johnson and Anheuser-Busch Inc.

10. Communities also come together to support their local athletes. For instance, the state of Michigan sells commemorative license plates with the funding going to the Olympic training center at Northern Michigan University. Likewise, when gold medalist speed skater Bonnie Blair wanted to train in Europe when originally hoping to make the Olympic team, the Champaign Policeman's Benevolent Association in Illinois raised the money she needed.

Realizing a dream

Not every athlete is well-known enough to obtain direct corporate sponsorship providing them with an excess of funds to train. Lesser known Olympians hoping to make their mark in sports history must rely on other sources of income or donations in order to keep their dream alive.

Thenardier 01-20-2014 03:49 PM

Nice info GH.

GregoryHouse 01-20-2014 03:54 PM

Yeah, a lot of athletes in the non-glamorous sports still have to use most of their time training and rehabbing instead of working full time jobs to pay for the travel and participation expenses. They depend on the kindness of strangers by and large

Cockypantherfan 01-20-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4064814)
It's all smoke and mirrors, well mostly smoke. They're just raising money for more ganja.

And this is a problem how?