CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203334)

The Yancey 01-20-2014 10:03 AM

9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
http://www.morningstarmissionsblog.o...-all-make.html


uscgmck 01-20-2014 12:36 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
I thought I was up on all this stuff but, news to me.

SwampFox 01-20-2014 12:49 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
Years ago when I was in Scouts, we learned that we could get a fire going with steel wool, tinder, and a 9V battery. All you had to do was stack tinder on the steel wool and use the battery as an igniter by touching it to the steel wool. You had to be careful, as that always got a fire going fast.

Acockolypse Now 01-20-2014 12:53 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
Holy crap.

usc90grad 01-20-2014 01:10 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
OT, but we used to get kids to lick a 9V when we were younger.

ccured 01-20-2014 06:39 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
yeah I was taught to wrap the ends of 9v batteries in electrical tape when storing if I didn't have the original packaging. My dad taught me to do this but I never knew why. Now I know

Gamecocks1137 01-20-2014 08:32 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4064941)
OT, but we used to get kids to lick a 9V when we were younger.

I actually remember doing this, now I don't know why I did. I of course was just a child. The metal taste wasn't very satisfying.

johnnyb 01-20-2014 09:10 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4065346)
I actually remember doing this, now I don't know why I did. I of course was just a child. The metal taste wasn't very satisfying.

ehh, you did it to check the charge...a 9 volt with a good charge left on it tingles a good bit more than an almost dead one

Cocky Doodle 01-20-2014 09:14 PM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
I learned my leason with 9v batteries a few months ago. I was changing the batteries in the fire alarms in the house, and had a couple of 9v's in my pocket. All of the sudden my leg started to burn. I reached in to pull the batteries out and one of them was smoking hot. I think a quarter made the connection between the posts, not sure. But I researched it and learned my lesson, with a red mark on my leg to show for it.

GamecockNeal 01-21-2014 02:10 AM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampFox (Post 4064914)
Years ago when I was in Scouts, we learned that we could get a fire going with steel wool, tinder, and a 9V battery. All you had to do was stack tinder on the steel wool and use the battery as an igniter by touching it to the steel wool. You had to be careful, as that always got a fire going fast.

I love watching Survivorman and he often talks/uses this technique. Really cool and fast.

BleedsGarnet 01-21-2014 02:55 AM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
I dont' think I own anything that uses 9v batteries anymore.

johnnyb 01-21-2014 03:05 AM

Re: 9V BATTERY DESTROYS HOME
 
back up battery in smoke detector?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.