CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Frank Martin apologizes to Brenton Williams (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203404)

IMACOCK 01-21-2014 06:27 PM

Frank Martin apologizes to Brenton Williams

I didn't see or hear this but thought I would share

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gamecoc...56--ncaab.html

Gamecock_Aholic 01-21-2014 07:00 PM

Re: Frank Martin apologizes to Brenton Williams

I want to see said tirade.

InGarciaWeTrust 01-21-2014 07:30 PM

Ya anyone have a video?

scfastpitch 01-21-2014 08:03 PM

I originally thought he was talking about at the end when he got on him , but this says it happened in the first half so I have no idea when .

Coulwoodwarlord 01-21-2014 08:19 PM

I'ma tell you what..............this kind of thing is what makes him awesome, and could also be his downfall. Frank has got to temper himself and pick his spots. Question is.......can his players handle it, can "our" program handle it, and will Ray stand behind him. I'm dead serious about this.

CockTail 01-21-2014 08:50 PM

It was on tv here in Florida, and part of it was caught on camera. A lot of F bombs being dropped. I did not realize it was directed at one player, thought he was talking to the whole team. I don't remember exactly when it was, but he lit into him directly after calling time out early in the first half.

This is exactly the type of thing that will hurt him in recruiting. Any recruit can see how Martin reacted to a player, but does not see how they are in practice, or how much he cares about his kids.

I think he is a good coach, but unless he has some success, he could lose players fast.

Cockypantherfan 01-21-2014 08:56 PM

He's like a modern day Bob Knight.

Gamecocks1137 01-21-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4066424)
He's like a modern day Bob Knight.

Yep, and how did that go?

IMACOCK 01-21-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4066435)
Yep, and how did that go?

Knight led his teams to three NCAA championships, one National Invitation Tournament (NIT) championship, and 11 Big Ten Conference championships.
15 Sweet Sixteen appearances.
8 Elite Eight appearances.
5 Final Four appearances.

Bob Knight's all time coaching record is 902-371.
His 902 wins in NCAA Division I men's college basketball games is third all-time.
Knight is the youngest coach to reach 200.
Texas Tech's participation in the 2007 NCAA Tournament gave Knight more NCAA Tournaments appearances than any other coach.
He is the only coach to win the NCAA, the NIT, an Olympic Gold medal, and a Pan American Games Gold medal.
He was named the National Coach of the Year four times (1975, 1976, 1987, 1989) and Big Ten Coach of the Year eight times.
In 1975 he was a unanimous selection as National Coach of the Year, an honor he was accorded again in 1976 by Associated Press, United Press International, and Basketball Weekly.
In 1987 he was the first person to be honored with the Naismith Coach of the Year Award.
In 1989 he garnered National Coach of the Year honors by the AP, UPI, and the United States Basketball Writers Association.
Knight was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1991.

U-Dub Gamecock 01-21-2014 10:14 PM

It tuff love... Players know that going in... IJS

pimpingamecock 01-21-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4066499)
It tuff love... Players know that going in... IJS

what U-Dub said... the issue won't be if the players can handle it, it's if Carolina can. This guy loves his players, I think that is very obvious when you hear him talk, and what he says outside of 40 mins of game time, and his history with his players. Honestly, so he yelled at the guy and dropped some F-bombs... I heard worse in my days of HS football.

Gamecocks1137 01-21-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMACOCK (Post 4066492)
Knight led his teams to three NCAA championships, one National Invitation Tournament (NIT) championship, and 11 Big Ten Conference championships.
15 Sweet Sixteen appearances.
8 Elite Eight appearances.
5 Final Four appearances.

Bob Knight's all time coaching record is 902-371.
His 902 wins in NCAA Division I men's college basketball games is third all-time.
Knight is the youngest coach to reach 200.
Texas Tech's participation in the 2007 NCAA Tournament gave Knight more NCAA Tournaments appearances than any other coach.
He is the only coach to win the NCAA, the NIT, an Olympic Gold medal, and a Pan American Games Gold medal.
He was named the National Coach of the Year four times (1975, 1976, 1987, 1989) and Big Ten Coach of the Year eight times.
In 1975 he was a unanimous selection as National Coach of the Year, an honor he was accorded again in 1976 by Associated Press, United Press International, and Basketball Weekly.
In 1987 he was the first person to be honored with the Naismith Coach of the Year Award.
In 1989 he garnered National Coach of the Year honors by the AP, UPI, and the United States Basketball Writers Association.
Knight was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1991.

I was actually being sarcastic lol.. I know he is one of the greatest College Coaches of all time.

IMACOCK 01-21-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4066525)
I was actually being sarcastic lol.. I know he is one of the greatest College Coaches of all time.

Wasn't anything against you. Was just putting it out there :thumbsup:

IMACOCK 01-21-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpingamecock (Post 4066513)
what U-Dub said... the issue won't be if the players can handle it, it's if Carolina can. This guy loves his players, I think that is very obvious when you hear him talk, and what he says outside of 40 mins of game time, and his history with his players. Honestly, so he yelled at the guy and dropped some F-bombs... I heard worse in my days of HS football.

I heard worse in my days of my dad coaching me in little league...seriously.

SPURprise 01-21-2014 11:13 PM

Frank Martin misses so many plays and wastes valuable time during timeouts berating his players.

Specifically - during the timeout before the last play of the Ole Miss game - he was busy yelling at Williams instead of focusing on the right play to call to get off a decent shot.

If you remember... Thornwell went away from the basket instead of towards it on that last play.

Just calling it how I see it.

scfastpitch 01-22-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPURprise (Post 4066554)
Frank Martin misses so many plays and wastes valuable time during timeouts berating his players.

Specifically - during the timeout before the last play of the Ole Miss game - he was busy yelling at Williams instead of focusing on the right play to call to get off a decent shot.

If you remember... Thornwell went away from the basket instead of towards it on that last play.

Just calling it how I see it.

Sometimes I would agree, but not in that particular case . There was an official timeout to check the monitor , then Frank called two timeouts after that , plenty of time for instruction .

sc455 01-22-2014 10:06 AM

Players know what they are getting when they sign up..my only issue is his language and demeanor during games..there is no place for that behavior in front of fans. there are children sitting there. Berate them at halftime or postgame..

Travelin 01-22-2014 10:15 AM

He was man enough to admit publicly he was wrong and apologized to Brenton and the fans that heard him.

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Let the man do it his way and learn as he goes along. He took on a monumental task at USC and he's doing his best.

SPURprise 01-22-2014 11:53 AM

I went back to see if I could hear exactly what the mics picked up during the Ole Miss game... you could clearly hear Martin yelling, "You suck mother f-er, you're a f-ing mama's boy." The cameras were on him for that moment, but he continued dropping f-bombs when they rolled film of a highlight.

Are we proud of this as Gamecock fans? I think it is disgraceful. If I'm a recruit, I would never want to play for him.

No doubt he does great things off the court and is involved in the Columbia community, but he has to tone it down.

It comes to a point where the behavior is just plain abusive.

With so many young guys on the basketball team this year, time will tell if they decide to transfer. Don't be surprised if many of them do.

Gamecock_Aholic 01-22-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPURprise (Post 4066857)
I went back to see if I could hear exactly what the mics picked up during the Ole Miss game... you could clearly hear Martin yelling, "You suck mother f-er, you're a f-ing mama's boy." The cameras were on him for that moment, but he continued dropping f-bombs when they rolled film of a highlight.

Are we proud of this as Gamecock fans? I think it is disgraceful. If I'm a recruit, I would never want to play for him.

No doubt he does great things off the court and is involved in the Columbia community, but he has to tone it down.

It comes to a point where the behavior is just plain abusive.

With so many young guys on the basketball team this year, time will tell if they decide to transfer. Don't be surprised if many of them do.

What was the time on the clock? I wanna watch this for myself.