CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Clip of Frank Martin Yelling (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203421)

SPURprise 01-22-2014 01:38 PM

Clip of Frank Martin Yelling

Just a little bit of what the mics picked up on Saturday in the Ole Miss game.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=nlvm34&s=5#.Ut_8a_Yo5GE

baitandswitch 01-22-2014 01:55 PM

Re: Clip of Frank Martin Yelling

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPURprise (Post 4066977)
Just a little bit of what the mics picked up on Saturday in the Ole Miss game.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=nlvm34&s=5#.Ut_8a_Yo5GE

He's a fantastic coach, and so passionate about what he does and about how he wants things done.

Some people don't like it. All I have to say to those folks is there's another team in the upstate you can go pull for.

boowilliam4 01-22-2014 02:04 PM

Martin is the man, anybody who doubts him now will be looking very foolish in a few years when he turns this mens basketball program around. I think our student section should be called the Martin Maniacs.

uscGRAD04 01-22-2014 02:12 PM

What's the last part? "You're a ****ing _________"

N00k 01-22-2014 02:15 PM

You're a ****ing bum. ... I think.

HeadCockFan 01-22-2014 04:22 PM

I don't mind calling players out, and I don't mind cussing at players, I think there is a right way to do both. Coach K and Jim Boeheim and Izzo and Dean Smith all do/did this to some degree. They have all showed compassion too. But to me, there is a difference in how they do it and how Frank does it. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but he seems to come off a little more bullyish and seems to do it way too often to have a positive effect. I think he is alienating guys a bit and needs to reign it in. It's fine to yell and scream, but he's drifting over the line lately. Our guys play pretty hard from what I've seen, maybe I'm wrong though.

SanAntonioCock 01-22-2014 04:36 PM

This guy is embarrassing our university. It is the easy way to curse and scream and yell. Find another way to get your message to these players.

CockyInGA 01-22-2014 04:39 PM

When you sign on to play for a team, and are expected to give 110%, your ass belongs to the coach. Plain and simple.

You can't handle it? Can't perform? Can't be a winner? Quit. Winners have thick skin. Winners do what it takes to shut up their critics.

A coach gets paid to provide results. Just like my boss gets paid to provide results, and it's my job to make my boss look good. It's a player's job to make his coach look good. If I fail to do so, i'm out of a job. If a player can't make his coach look good, he shouldn't be on the team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock (Post 4067174)
This guy is embarrassing our university. It is the easy way to curse and scream and yell. Find another way to get your message to these players.

Do you also think they should all get medals for just showing up to practice?

ReadR00ster 01-22-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N00k (Post 4067025)
You're a ****ing bum. ... I think.

No, "You're a ****ing bove it."

Mr. Belvedere 01-22-2014 04:58 PM

He said Bum.. no white washing that one. Called Brenton a ****ing idiot too.

I like Frank, but these guys play scared. Taint working with some these players.

M.C. 01-22-2014 05:27 PM

I would dred coming to the bench if i screwed up i might just run to locker room instead lol

Gamecock_girl_west 01-22-2014 05:30 PM

Williams said something that sparked Martin's rage, that is hardly the sign of players who are scared. They lacked on court discipline when Martin came in and he is trying to get them to play his game. Sometimes you need an iron fist. He shouldn't launch into personal assaults on players, as that demotivates, but with a lot of these guys they think they know better than the coach and he is showing who was boss. Here's the bottom line, when a coach is shouting during a time out you keep your mouth shut. When he asks you a question you answer.

M.C. 01-22-2014 05:42 PM

not near as bad as the rutgers coach from a few years back

http://tribwpix.files.wordpress.com/...ired-video.jpg

spareparts 01-22-2014 05:44 PM

Guy is a walking cardiac event in progress. That tape sounds like he has lost all mental control. Hope he takes care of himself, there have been more than a few coaches who blew a gasket and ended up with health issues

Biocockanics 01-22-2014 05:48 PM

Wouldn't play or allow my son/daughter to play for a coach so out of control he screams expletives at them.

Sure, I know it's common...doesn't make it any less reprehensible. I miss the John Wooden mentality

Would you drop F-bombs on your child? if you would, you're a piece of garbage. If you wouldn't, why would you allow someone else to.

Gamecock_girl_west 01-22-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4067253)
Wouldn't play or allow my son/daughter to play for a coach so out of control he screams expletives at them.

Sure, I know it's common...doesn't make it any less reprehensible. I miss the John Wooden mentality

Would you drop F-bombs on your child? if you would, you're a piece of garbage. If you wouldn't, why would you allow someone else to.

I wouldn't drop f bombs on my child. But an 18 year old? And 18 year old getting a scholarship and half assing it on the court? Who doesn't listen to you? I suppose the fact that they use such language at 'kids' the same age in boot camp is as reprehensible?

It may not be your cup of tea, but it is effective. It is used in college sports, and has been for years. Maybe not by Wooden, but my Dean Smith, Coach K and countless others.

HeadCockFan 01-22-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4067253)

If my son is 19-21 years old and doing something that I've warned him not to do, for his own good, and then he ignored me and did it anyway, I would drop a few F-bombs on him, sure.

However, I don't think screwing up in a basketball game is quite the same. Frank needs to wait for a player to show signs of not caring or slacking off before yelling like this. I really don't think Brenton was doing either, just made a few mistakes. Also, I wouldn't do it in a public place, or in front of a camera. Obviously, Big Frank doesn't give a banana about that apple.

ACHILLES5508 01-22-2014 06:03 PM

been my kid frank would have had to worry about more than winning a basketball game more like removing my foot from his bum, that's something a lot of people are failing to realize he is talking to college students not professionals, im all for passion but he has crossed the line. I have played for some tough coaches but none have never talked to me that way... too far in my eyes.

sandstorm2001 01-22-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4067248)
Guy is a walking cardiac event in progress. That tape sounds like he has lost all mental control. Hope he takes care of himself, there have been more than a few coaches who blew a gasket and ended up with health issues

Like Urban Meyer? Hahahahhaha

spareparts 01-22-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock_girl_west (Post 4067262)

It may not be your cup of tea, but it is effective. It is used in college sports, and has been for years. Maybe not by Wooden, but my Dean Smith, Coach K and countless others.

Dean Smith and Coach K don't act like that, come on...

And if the only thing you have to offer as proof it's effective is Bobby Knight, then you probably think taking up smoking is a great idea because some people haven't died yet

Poor reasoning skills