CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   La Grande, Oregon (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203426)

HeadCockFan 01-22-2014 04:14 PM

La Grande, Oregon

Has anyone on CT spent any time in La Grande, Oregon? I'm considering a job there, and it's daunting to say the least. I've read mixed reviews about this isolated small town. I'm not so sure we'd feel welcome.

Thanks for any info.

Cockypantherfan 01-22-2014 04:20 PM

Re: La Grande, Oregon

If you have to ask then you don't want to go. JK, I'm just trolling.

spareparts 01-22-2014 05:35 PM

Actually I have spent a little time in that area because I worked at WSU in Pullman, and also in Lewiston, for a while. It's very beautiful and some of the most incredible fishing and outdoors recreation I have ever seen. You will have to be an outdoorsman. I would say that it appeals to a certain type of person, definitely isolated and in the winters it can be harsh. I think Eastern Oregon U is there?? If you like the convenience of cities close by where there is a variety of mainstream stuff to do, then it's not for you. But if you are up for living in a mind-blowing western town then this is the area for you. It's a little different than the palouse area (WSU area/Pullman) but similar. You should visit before you commit.

I would move there in a fricking heartbeat, and flyfish all day long. God's country.

HeadCockFan 01-22-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4067241)
Actually I have spent a little time in that area because I worked at WSU in Pullman, and also in Lewiston, for a while. It's very beautiful and some of the most incredible fishing and outdoors recreation I have ever seen. You will have to be an outdoorsman. I would say that it appeals to a certain type of person, definitely isolated and in the winters it can be harsh. I think Eastern Oregon U is there?? If you like the convenience of cities close by where there is a variety of mainstream stuff to do, then it's not for you. But if you are up for living in a mind-blowing western town then this is the area for you. It's a little different than the palouse area (WSU area/Pullman) but similar. You should visit before you commit.

I would move there in a fricking heartbeat, and flyfish all day long. God's country.

Rep sent, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I am definitely an outdoorsman, as are my sons, but the wifey may be miserable there, so I will likely have to pass. I will visit either way and do some hiking and camping. I've heard the locas are unfriendly, but I aim to dispell that view.

spareparts 01-22-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4067563)
Rep sent, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I am definitely an outdoorsman, as are my sons, but the wifey may be miserable there, so I will likely have to pass. I will visit either way and do some hiking and camping. I've heard the locas are unfriendly, but I aim to dispell that view.

Everyone is unfriendly up there because of Californians migrating there and ruining everything

U-Dub Gamecock 01-22-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4067622)
Everyone is unfriendly up there because of Californians migrating there and ruining everything

It's funny. Moved to Washington in 85' from N.Cali. I've seen both views of the dislike of Californians in Pacific NW.. I get it, after living in Wash for 10 years, I kinda hated the newer transplants moving in.. They are viewed similar to how people from Ohio that now live down here in SC... Most native SC people want there asses kicked back up North.

HeadCockFan 01-23-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4067622)

My job there would be forest protection, so hopefully they would give me a pass even though I'm a redneck from the Carolinas. Certainly better than being a Californian.

IMACOCK 01-23-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4067155)
Has anyone on CT spent any time in La Grande, Oregon? I'm considering a job there, and it's daunting to say the least. I've read mixed reviews about this isolated small town. I'm not so sure we'd feel welcome.

Thanks for any info.

You won't ever have to pump your own gas.

HeadCockFan 01-23-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMACOCK (Post 4067949)
You won't ever have to pump your own gas.

Good to know, now I won't try and punch the guy for coming up to me in my car uninvited, haha.

IMACOCK 01-23-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4068005)
Good to know, now I won't try and punch the guy for coming up to me in my car uninvited, haha.

My first time in Oregon, I drove to three different gas stations trying to find one that wasn't full service. I was finally told that they are all full service. I'm guessing it's a state thing. :confused: