CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Brenton Williams (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203444)

uncc21 01-22-2014 11:35 PM

Brenton Williams

What a great player. He is so unselfish.

:woo:
:kill:

sc455 01-23-2014 12:09 AM

Re: Brenton Williams

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncc21 (Post 4067727)
This guy just doesn't get it. As a senior, you think he would be a team player. All he looks to do is shoot. I have seen him several times this year on 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 fast breaks and try to go to the hole instead of looking for teammates. He is a 3 point spot up shooter at best in college and needs to know his role. Lucky that Martin doesn't pull him in my opinion. Mckie, thornwell, and shaw should be the starting guards in my opinion. I could be wrong though, but probably not.

:wo

cool story

USCBASEBALL1 01-23-2014 12:17 AM

Please just temper your expectations for this year and next. Your not going to build this Basketball Program overnight. This year just expect to struggle because that is reality. FM will build it but its going to take at least 2 more recruiting classes.

11SWU10 01-23-2014 12:19 AM

Agree! Ability but poor decisions repeatedly. I did Martin impressions with some of his decisions.
I would lose bringing Mckie along. He seems to have a solid upside.
The guy does not like to give the ball up. Missed a number of chances to hit teammates for open 3s.
I hate to beat up on players. Never should, they are kids but I have to agree.

SC Tag 01-23-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

This guy just doesn't get it. As a senior, you think he would be a team player. All he looks to do is shoot. I have seen him several times this year on 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 fast breaks and try to go to the hole instead of looking for teammates. He is a 3 point spot up shooter at best in college and needs to know his role. Lucky that Martin doesn't pull him in my opinion. Mckie, thornwell, and shaw should be the starting guards in my opinion. I could be wrong though, but probably not.

Why did would you put emoticons on that?

Luke Skycocker 01-23-2014 12:38 AM

The reason he doesnt pass it up on the break is so that he can get to the line where he is automatic

11SWU10 01-23-2014 12:46 AM

He...He...He
The guy can shoot free throws but who is going to hustle down to watch him play by himself.
If you want a friend you gotta be a friend. Share the ball when it is the right thing to do.
Getting old time for bed.

ccured 01-23-2014 06:57 AM

The way the game is refereed now you should always attack the rim. The problem is not him at all. The problem is the fact that this team can not make layups or grab rebounds. Also our guys don't seem to grasp the new rules on defense. It is even more imperative now to play with your feet not your hands

baitandswitch 01-23-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4067875)
The way the game is refereed now you should always attack the rim. The problem is not him at all. The problem is the fact that this team can not make layups or grab rebounds. Also our guys don't seem to grasp the new rules on defense. It is even more imperative now to play with your feet not your hands

The problem is not missing layups. The team gets to the free throw line on about 75% of their layup attempts. It's tough to make a layup when you get fouled. Our problem against UGA was a couple things:

1) UGA shot unbelievably well from 3 after shooting 28% all season from 3
2) We just don't seem to be able to get defensive rebounds
3) We foul way too much.

baitandswitch 01-23-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

I really don't think you get it. McKie and Shaw are not better options than Brenton. Brenton finished the game last night 4-7 from 3 and 6/11 overall. ... He makes free throws which is what we need him to do. McKie has barely seen mop up duty this season and for some reason you think McKie is a better option? You're delusional.

uncc21 01-23-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitandswitch (Post 4067879)
I really don't think you get it. McKie and Shaw are not better options than Brenton. Brenton finished the game last night 4-7 from 3 and 6/11 overall. ... He makes free throws which is what we need him to do. McKie has barely seen mop up duty this season and for some reason you think McKie is a better option? You're delusional.

How many turnovers did he have? Scoring isn't everything. Sharing the ball is how you win games

Harry Tuttle 01-23-2014 11:19 AM

I thought Chatkevicuis would be better this year. I think he may have been better last year.

2four2Gamecock 01-23-2014 11:27 AM

This young team is fine. They need to get tougher and rebound the ball.

FilchCock 01-23-2014 11:33 AM

This inflammatory post is, frankly, uncalled for; especially in the wake of an 18-point performance on the road in which Brenton went 4-7 from behind the arc.

That being said, please continue with your penetrating deductions.

USCBASEBALL1 01-23-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitandswitch (Post 4067879)

:thumbsup:

Roosterboy 01-23-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilchCock (Post 4068046)
This inflammatory post is, frankly, uncalled for; especially in the wake of an 18-point performance on the road in which Brenton went 4-7 from behind the arc.

That being said, please continue with your penetrating deductions.

Points aren't everything.
Did he play good defense...did he pass the ball, did he play his role?
Or did he go out and get his at the expense of the team?

Cockypantherfan 01-23-2014 01:22 PM

There is not some secret formula to have success at basketball. For a team to win it must start from the basics and build on that. Boxing out, rebounding, ball movement, communication on offense and defense, hustling, taking care of the ball... all of these things must be done and done well before we can start progressing.

I played freaking church league ball growing up and this stuff is taught... how do these kids playing college ball not understand you have to do the basics?

TwoNotch Dreams 01-23-2014 01:35 PM

Brenton probably suffered from his lone year on that Horn team, where a lot of players developed losing habits. He's a decent player and could probably be a solid 3rd guard at a winning program. I feel bad for him and LaKeem because they were really the only Horn guys who tried their all each night. Bruce too, but he was a wreck after he tried to balance two sports.

baitandswitch 01-23-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncc21 (Post 4068015)
How many turnovers did he have? Scoring isn't everything. Sharing the ball is how you win games

Brenton had 2 turnovers. Probably ought to look at stats before posting. Thornwell had 5 by the way.

baitandswitch 01-23-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4068156)
There is not some secret formula to have success at basketball. For a team to win it must start from the basics and build on that. Boxing out, rebounding, ball movement, communication on offense and defense, hustling, taking care of the ball... all of these things must be done and done well before we can start progressing.

I played freaking church league ball growing up and this stuff is taught... how do these kids playing college ball not understand you have to do the basics?

Bill Simmons begs to differ.

I don't know if you're being serious comparing yourself to college basketball players at USC. If you are please don't even bother responding because you're delusional.