CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I am officially giving up Facebook (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203483)

Gamecocks1137 01-24-2014 01:45 AM

I am officially giving up Facebook

I am not sure if it is just me, or having to listen to the whole gangs problems. I have a family and I have friends, but at the end of the day reading their problems have seemed to give me more. Maybe I am just old school, but of my own decision I have decided to step away from facebook, and I think I will be happier for it.

I was very happy just 10 years ago, it is like a disease that feeds off your face. I can't take it anymore.

Mr.101 01-24-2014 01:47 AM

Re: I am officially giving up Facebook

ok

Gamecocks1137 01-24-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.101 (Post 4068910)
ok

I am hoping some older people will make me feel I made a better decision, that old.. OK.. that just makes me feel weird.

Gamecocks1137 01-24-2014 01:55 AM

Anyone ever had a facebook page that felt like, "I should have never made a facebook page."?

johnnyb 01-24-2014 01:55 AM

Ehh...forums are the only social media I do

Gamecocks1137 01-24-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4068918)
Ehh...forums are the only social media I do

I will join you with that. Facebook had too much for me.

johnmcclane 01-24-2014 02:29 AM

i got off, too.

facebook gives people a public platform who don't need a public platform. it exhausted me. its ignorance on parade.

RGHoskins 01-24-2014 08:47 AM

Damn. Off your face?

ccured 01-24-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4068914)
I am hoping some older people will make me feel I made a better decision, that old.. OK.. that just makes me feel weird.

My dad has one and he gets on it maybe once every other month for exactly what you said:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmcclane (Post 4068936)
i got off, too.

facebook gives people a public platform who don't need a public platform. it exhausted me. its ignorance on parade.

I have never had one because of just this reason. I do browse my wife's every once in awhile to see what morons are saying but if I had one it would just engage me to much with a back and forth with them and I would be exhausted as well

spareparts 01-24-2014 08:54 AM

Never had one. Wife did. Seems boring

The Yancey 01-24-2014 09:11 AM

It is easy to control who and what you see on FB. I get most of what I want an dlittle of what I don't.

A. Pilgrim 01-24-2014 09:29 AM

You can easily restrict what you see on your newsfeed, what posts to your timeline, etc.

Captain9Dragons 01-24-2014 10:02 AM

i have to check out this facebook thing

Spur's Addiction 01-24-2014 10:02 AM

To be honest I am kind of getting bored with it as well. I check it daily but not sure why. Post something about once or twice a month.

I guess there are a few people on there I genuinely want to keep up with. But most of it is just blabber either from people I don't really have a reason to keep up with or subjects that I don't care about.

I don't know. Maybe I just put everyone on ignore except the few folks I actually enjoy reading their stuff.

PageUSC 01-24-2014 10:12 AM

It was much better when it came out an you could only access it with a college email address. I was in college at the time and it was great.

Now it's just weird and any weirdo can get on and everybody and their mom is on there literally.

I don't post anywhere near as much as I used to. I'm still on just don't get caught up in it anymore.

I'm on twitter for instant news and sports info. Instagram to post pics and I can link to Facebook if I want from those.

markp_vip 01-24-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4068917)
Anyone ever had a facebook page that felt like, "I should have never made a facebook page."?

I rarely look at mine, just check it from time to time in case any old friends are trying to get in touch.

A. Pilgrim 01-24-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4069026)
To be honest I am kind of getting bored with it as well. I check it daily but not sure why. Post something about once or twice a month.

I guess there are a few people on there I genuinely want to keep up with. But most of it is just blabber either from people I don't really have a reason to keep up with or subjects that I don't care about.

I don't know. Maybe I just put everyone on ignore except the few folks I actually enjoy reading their stuff.

Agree with this, which is why I took a few minutes and went through my entire friends list- managing those I "subscribe" to, and those who are on the "restricted" list, for example (amongst other categories)

By doing so, my newsfeed only shows those friends whom I actually care to read about, or read what they're saying, while all of the acquaintances simply fade into the background.

A. Pilgrim 01-24-2014 10:21 AM

One thing I've never understood, though...
And, no offense to the OP (but maybe he/she can provide insight on this question)

But why do people announce when they're leaving facebook?
If you're going to deactivate your account...ok, just do it.

spareparts 01-24-2014 10:27 AM

Facebook is the new MySpace

A. Pilgrim 01-24-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4069053)
Facebook is the new MySpace

Myspace is so retro.