CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Question about our Graduate Assistants (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203496)

UncleGamecock 01-24-2014 04:29 PM

Question about our Graduate Assistants

Hello 1st time poster, long time reader.
My brother is interested in being a Graduate Assistant, but cant find any information about who our current Graduate Assistants are or if any of them are getting jobs somewhere. He played football at a D2 school and said that Graduate Assistants can only work for so long before they have to leave. Does any other Cockytalkers have any information on these guys or advice for him?

catdaddy66 01-26-2014 02:39 PM

Re: Question about our Graduate Assistants

I believe Shaq Wilson is a grad asst and helps Botkin with our linebackers.

eggroll 01-26-2014 07:24 PM

Not an expert by any stretch but the GA job sounds like it's about who you know and not so much what you know. I'm thinking you need to know someone on the staff or get recommended by another coach. I think you can only be a GA for as long as you're working on your master's degree.

CarolinaGnB521 01-26-2014 10:52 PM

Grad Assistants are a mixture of applicants and former players. A couple of the GA's we've had here have come from schools such as Harvard, Penn State, etc. etc. (and almost all of them played D1 Football) In the sports world, it's a "who you know". GA's are hard to come by, especially at larger schools.

If lucky enough to land one, however, only the best ones get jobs in college. A couple of our GA's have been lucky enough to follow coaches to other schools, and others have been lucky enough to get other jobs. The ones that don't get collegiate level jobs have become high school coaches mostly.

The last GA that landed a real coaching posistion in college was Addison Williams. He had a lot of praise from coach Ward though, and was pretty much the asst. DB coach while he was here (pre-Brown, during Jeep Hunters reign of coaching the safeties).

Most of them end up coaching high school football and looking for a way back into the college levels.

Great gig though - Grad School is payed for completely + some cash. Not much though.

bigdawg77 01-26-2014 11:20 PM

He should look at the D2 route for being a GA. It'll give him even more experience then being a D1 GA honestly. At the vast majority of D2 school they can only afford 4-5 full time guys so GAs in a lot of cases are given their own position group and recruiting area to look after and recruit. Then after that look at moving onto a QC job at the D1 level or a position coach at D2 or a high school asst. in a football crazed state like Texas, Georgia, Florida etc.

ra742002 01-27-2014 10:25 AM

Good luck to him. I've been working camps, and getting involved as much as I can with the program, getting to know the coaches through having players recruited, and I also have 6 years of successful coaching experience at the Ol level, and I CANNOT for the life of me, get a GA job. It's certainly about who you know. Just tell him to knock on as many doors as he can, and keep trying.

UncleGamecock 01-27-2014 02:20 PM

Thank you for the help. I will pass the advice to him and see what he wants to do. I know we all know the coaching staff and you had mentioned Shaq (miss him as a player on Saturdays!) I don't know much about how many Graduate Assistants we have or even who they are. If it helps to be a former player do we have any guys that played at Carolina besides Shaq? I think its a great idea to keep these guys around and show the current team how to do things. Only good things can happen from them being around.

uscsandstorm85 01-30-2014 02:23 AM

It is a tough door to get your foot in.

ra742002 01-30-2014 07:56 AM

The grad asst who works with the OL is from Texas A&M. He is originally from South Carolina, but I can't recall where.

RoosterBooster 01-30-2014 09:32 AM

Unfortunately if you are having to ask the question, likely he doesn't have much of a shot at USC. Spurrier is a great one to have on the resume so being a GA in his program is highly sought after. Your brother should start with his former coaches seeing if they have connections in a program which he can leverage. I notice you are in Virginia, a Pipeline into a high school we have trouble recruiting is also a huge feather in the cap. Good luck.

GSC2013 01-30-2014 05:43 PM

Yep. GA spots at big schools are 100% about who you no. If you don't know someone at USC, or, if one of your top 3 resume references don't know someone there, you have 0 chance. None.

The coaching profession from the college level up is almost 100% about who you know, but more importantly, who do the people who will reference you know.

No one gets a job in college coaching by a blind application.

Your brother's best bet is this:

Call his old college coaches
Ask for a GA spot with them, or help landing one with someone they know.

Coaching is SO unlike what people think it is. I did a GA spot for a couple years at an FCS school and changed careers. So, if his old coaches can't land him one, he should ask if he can volunteer on the staff, and find part time work to make ends meet for a season or two, just to get used to what all goes on in that job off the field. Once he is "seasoned" with all that stuff, he'd more marketable.

Meaning, his coaches will feel more comfortable recommending him for a GA spot at another school if their school doesn't have one available. That's how I got mine. My old coaches at Coastal let me volunteer for a season, then recommended me to another place.

90 hour work weeks. Stress sandwich. Lots and lots and lots of long days with no sleep, no money, no glory, no girlfriends. But, if you want it, its the price to pay.

FlorenceCock 01-30-2014 06:17 PM

It has worked out well for Addison Williams.
http://www.tusculumpioneers.com/prof...?playerID=1689