CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Tools stolen (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203682)

Gamecocks1137 01-31-2014 03:35 PM

Tools stolen

My brother had his trailer full of tools stolen this morning from his truck in Cayce. Probably worth 2.5k or more in tools. Called the police, but nothing they can really do. Had it locked to his truck, they cut through it. Question to everyone, "Is there anything he or I, can do to find these tools? I know it is a long shot, but really hard to rely on the police for something like this. Also, mistake on his part, he had no insurance on the trailer, just his truck.

2000grad 01-31-2014 04:24 PM

Re: Tools stolen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4075811)
My brother had his trailer full of tools stolen this morning from his truck in Cayce. Probably worth 2.5k or more in tools. Called the police, but nothing they can really do. Had it locked to his truck, they cut through it. Question to everyone, "Is there anything he or I, can do to find these tools? I know it is a long shot, but really hard to rely on the police for something like this. Also, mistake on his part, he had no insurance on the trailer, just his truck.

I would call pawn shops and let them know

Kickerspl80 01-31-2014 04:25 PM

Check the scrapmetal places around and see if anybody brought a heap of toold to scrap out.

thekob 01-31-2014 04:42 PM

Keep an eye on Craigslist and the local pawn shops.

Gamecocks1137 01-31-2014 04:52 PM

Ok thanks for the info, also scratch the 2.5k he said there was about 10k worth of tools. Which is even worse. He told me he wished they would have stole his truck instead of the tools, tools worth more than his work truck.

M.C. 01-31-2014 04:55 PM

ouch dang that sucks.. I hope you find at least some of them

roosterdave 01-31-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4075811)

Just a quick word of advice. Assuming he recovers these tools, or even if he has to buy new ones, he would be best served to buy an engraver and make some kind of identifying mark (numbers/symbol) on all his tools so if it happened again the tools are identifiable if they turn up anywhere. Really crappy that this happened to your brother, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

catdaddy66 01-31-2014 05:35 PM

Does homeowner's policies cover this? He could get something for the value even if it isn't 10K.

usc90grad 01-31-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekob (Post 4075894)
Keep an eye on Craigslist and the local pawn shops.

This

Cockholio 01-31-2014 06:01 PM

I wish your brother a lot of luck. Utility trailer thefts are all too common. I have a musician friend that had one stolen from right out in front of his studio. Never recovered anything.

Gamecocks1137 01-31-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockholio (Post 4075981)
I wish your brother a lot of luck. Utility trailer thefts are all too common. I have a musician friend that had one stolen from right out in front of his studio. Never recovered anything.

Yeah they stole this right out of his front yard, sometime around 5:30 this morning. He heard a loud truck outside, while he was in the bed, but thought nothing of it.

RoosterBooster 01-31-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4075987)
Yeah they stole this right out of his front yard, sometime around 5:30 this morning. He heard a loud truck outside, while he was in the bed, but thought nothing of it.

The tools were in the garage. Call your homeowners company.

The Yancey 01-31-2014 06:20 PM

I hate thieves. :-x

Try to file against both homeowner and auto policies.

FurmanCock 01-31-2014 06:24 PM

What they said about insurance. I had my truck broke into while in Atlanta one weekend, and they stole my golf clubs. I can't remember if I filed it under homeowner's or auto insurance, but they paid off. I seem to think it was my homeowner's policy. I was lucky and still had receipts for value estimation. Hopefully, your brother still has receipts or paid by credit card -- he would be able to recreate value from credit card statements.

Best of luck to your brother.

gamecock88 01-31-2014 06:37 PM

They'll PC it out at flea markets and Craigslist. Stuff is gone most likely. Cops are just there for the paperwork.

trapper82 01-31-2014 06:38 PM

Definitely check the pawn shops and online ads. If you can find them at pawn shops, be able to describe them or prove they are his and boom, you've got the thieves. You need to call around though, they won't have it out in the store for 30 days for this very reason.

nicstockman 01-31-2014 07:08 PM

My buddy's trailer full of lawn equipment got stolen from his house this past week as well. Lives in Lugoff. It was stolen right out in front of his house, also locked up. Strange. Unfortunately, it'll probably never be found.

catdaddy66 01-31-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicstockman (Post 4076047)
My buddy's trailer full of lawn equipment got stolen from his house this past week as well. Lives in Lugoff. It was stolen right out in front of his house, also locked up. Strange. Unfortunately, it'll probably never be found.

I'm innocent!!! :rotfl:

usc90grad 01-31-2014 08:12 PM

Hardest part about filing an insurance claim is proving to the insurance company you had all this stuff to begin with. They will probably give a max amount nowhere close to the true value.

Gamecocks1137 01-31-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4076078)
Hard part about filing an insurance claim is pr

Yeah report was already filed, so too late for that.