CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again! (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203739)

Cockhornleghorn 02-03-2014 02:17 PM

Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/02/0...eshman-of.html

Fourth time this season, but she had to share it with a player from Florida. If she keeps improving I think she will be the unanimous Freshman of the Year.

Gamecocks1137 02-03-2014 02:38 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Coates is one heck of a player, her and Ibiam are a great duo.

Luke Skycocker 02-03-2014 02:52 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Yea but what else can she do :lol:

She's unstoppable as a freshman. Just imagine in 3 years

kman 02-03-2014 03:07 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
I don't follow BB that much but the article says she only played 19 minutes. I realize she is only a freshman but if she is so good, why not play more?

superfly 02-03-2014 03:21 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kman (Post 4078147)
I don't follow BB that much but the article says she only played 19 minutes. I realize she is only a freshman but if she is so good, why not play more?

The pace of the game takes it's toll on the bigger players. She subs in and out with other quality players. We have the players to go deeper this year and will really be deep next year.

OldPat 02-03-2014 04:21 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by superfly (Post 4078155)
The pace of the game takes it's toll on the bigger players. She subs in and out with other quality players. We have the players to go deeper this year and will really be deep next year.

Precisely, sf, get it done in half the time & be fresh come playoff time.
Actually, depth is one of our strengths that DS utilizes against our opponents. Even UCONN may not be as deep as us next year-certainly no more.
Congrats again, AC.

ConwayGamecock 02-03-2014 06:07 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPat (Post 4078207)
Precisely, sf, get it done in half the time & be fresh come playoff time.
Actually, depth is one of our strengths that DS utilizes against our opponents. Even UCONN may not be as deep as us next year-certainly no more.
Congrats again, AC.

Don't know that I'd go that far: Next year according to ESPN's Hoopgurlz ratings at least, UConn will have (7) 5* rated players on their roster, and (3) 4* rated players. Even with Wilson choosing us (she hasn't done so yet, and could choose UConn), we'd have (4) 5* rated players and (5) 4* rated players.

That talent for us would certainly put us among the nation's best in terms of depth, but UConn is just a monster these years. But Coach Staley is still working, so who knows: maybe in 2015.......

Gamecocks1137 02-03-2014 06:14 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock (Post 4078308)
Don't know that I'd go that far: Next year according to ESPN's Hoopgurlz ratings at least, UConn will have (7) 5* rated players on their roster, and (3) 4* rated players. Even with Wilson choosing us (she hasn't done so yet, and could choose UConn), we'd have (4) 5* rated players and (5) 4* rated players.

That talent for us would certainly put us among the nation's best in terms of depth, but UConn is just a monster these years. But Coach Staley is still working, so who knows: maybe in 2015.......

Or maybe this year. Just because your a giant of a sport, doesn't mean you cannot be knocked on your ass.

ucan'tlickourcocks 02-03-2014 06:37 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Congrats to Alaina! She is fun to watch, especially when she gets a little PO'd!

If there is a better SEC freshman, I have not seen her!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4078310)
Or maybe this year. Just because your a giant of a sport,
doesn't mean you cannot be knocked on your ass.

Have you seen UCONN play? They are in a class all by themselves at this point!

Their closest game this year, they won by 11pts at 7th ranked Baylor! That is the CLOSEST!
After that, you have a 15pt win, and a couple 19pt wins..... rest are blowouts pretty much!
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...cticut-huskies

UCONN does have 2 games left against #4 Louisville..... be interesting to see if the Lady Cards have
anything for UCONN.....

Having said all that, would like to get a shot at them late in the NCAA tourny......

ConwayGamecock 02-03-2014 07:50 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4078310)
Or maybe this year. Just because your a giant of a sport, doesn't mean you cannot be knocked on your ass.

I was talking about depth of talent, not beating them on the court. Of course, player development is another factor: you can stack 5*s on top of 5*s, and eventually some of them will develop on their own into great players, making you look like a great coach. The ones that don't will fall by the wayside and won't be missed too much because there will always be other 5*s coming in to take their place.

Coach Staley has been doing a stellar job finding and developing our talent: from Sutton and Grant who were 3* at best but developed into great players, from Bruner who wasn't even a 3*. Ibiam was a high 3* who is playing like a high 4* now, and Welch, Mitchell, and Coates all play as well as most 5* rated players out there do, save for the very few monsters.

Coates is almost there now, though: Kelsey Bone was the overall #2-rated prospect by Hoopgurlz in the 2009-'10 class - 2nd only to Baylor's Brittney Griner. She was on the All-SEC 2nd team and probably would've won Freshman of the Year over UK's A'dia Mathies had USC won more games. She won SEC Freshman of the Week 3 times, and averaged 13.6 pts, 8.7 rpg, and 0.8 bpg over 17 SEC games (16 reg. season gms plus 1 SECT gm). Hoopgulrz didn't utilize the star rating system back then, but no doubt if they had Bone would've been a 98-grade 5*.

Coates now already has 4 SEC FOTW honors, and is currently averaging 13.3 pts, 9.0 rebs, and 2.8 blocks per gm. with 7 more reg. season gms to go...

Jackson with Arkansas seems to be Alaina's only true threat for SEC Freshman honors, but she mostly is just a scorer and she has started every game for the Hogs, while Alaina comes off the bench to produce her numbers. Coates has the better all-around game by far with her rebounding (2nd overall in SEC play) and shot-blocking (1st overall in SEC play), and her FG% also leads the conference in conference play by a substantial amount...

In other words: remember how excited we felt about getting Bone into the program? Coates is just as good as her, and performing even better thus far, comparing both of their freshman seasons...

Cockhornleghorn 02-03-2014 08:48 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kman (Post 4078147)
I don't follow BB that much but the article says she only played 19 minutes. I realize she is only a freshman but if she is so good, why not play more?

Many freshmen hit a "wall" during their freshman year so Dawn is making sure that Alaina doesn't have that problem. We also have quality depth at every position, playing 9 or 10 players each game. We have outperformed my expectations so far this year and they are only getting better.

U-Dub Gamecock 02-03-2014 10:41 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Carolina has a shot at a #1 seed... That would be huge to avoid U-Conn until at least the Final Four.

Luke Skycocker 02-03-2014 10:45 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
If we do end up being a 2 I want to be in whichever regional Duke/L'ville is the #1 in. UCONN, Stanford, and Notre Dame are pretty much locks for 1's and the fight is for the last spot

U-Dub Gamecock 02-03-2014 10:47 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4078596)
If we do end up being a 2 I want to be in whichever regional Duke/L'ville is the #1 in. UCONN, Stanford, and Notre Dame are pretty much locks for 1's and the fight is for the last spot

In order to get the 1 seed, we would probably have to win the regular season, AND the SEC tournament..

Luke Skycocker 02-03-2014 11:28 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4078601)
In order to get the 1 seed, we would probably have to win the regular season, AND the SEC tournament..

Agreed, 1 more loss at max

arice12 02-04-2014 02:17 PM

Re: Alaina is SEC Freshman of the Week…again!
 
at kentucky, tenn, and leu will be tough games to finish out the season


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.