CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Lady Gamecocks Basketball Tournament "Issue" (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203780)

U-Dub Gamecock 02-04-2014 10:25 PM

Lady Gamecocks Basketball Tournament "Issue"

I'm not going to press this that much, but I think it is a shame that this team ( who is a legit top 5-10 team) will not get any consideration to host the first 2 rounds, due to political issues we have.

Thoughts? Am I the only one pissed off about it?

uscGRAD04 02-04-2014 10:30 PM

Re: Lady Gamecocks Basketball Tournament "Issue"

Does that apply for basketball too? How are we able to host in baseball? I always thought pre-determined events ( bowl games) were the only ones affected.

U-Dub Gamecock 02-04-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 (Post 4079469)
Does that apply for basketball too? How are we able to host in baseball? I always thought pre-determined events ( bowl games) were the only ones affected.

I'm really not sure how it goes, but I know for basketball, we will not get consideration to host ( due to the Elephant in the room)...

Right now, we are a projected 2 seed, but they have us in the West Lafayette Regional ( against #7 Purdue)... IMO, a 2 seed should not have to play a damn road game in the 2nd round of the tourney.

doc 02-04-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4079465)
I'm not going to press this that much, but I think it is a shame that this team ( who is a legit top 5-10 team) will not get any consideration to host the first 2 rounds, due to political issues we have.

Thoughts? Am I the only one pissed off about it?

WE don't have issues, the NCAA has political issues!

Luke Skycocker 02-04-2014 10:43 PM

For the zillionth time, starting next year we will be able to host because host sites will be awarded based on merit just like baseball. It's unfortunate for this season, but going forward it is a non issue

U-Dub Gamecock 02-04-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4079485)
For the zillionth time, starting next year we will be able to host because host sites will be awarded based on merit just like baseball. It's unfortunate for this season, but going forward it is a non issue

This is the first I have heard of this. (Sorry, I missed the 999th Billion time before)... I'm glad they will award hosting spots due to merit.

Luke Skycocker 02-04-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4079496)
This is the first I have heard of this. (Sorry, I missed the 999th Billion time before)... I'm glad they will award hosting spots due to merit.

It's fine. The new system will be way better for us, but I wish they would just put them on neutral courts. I know they do it this way for attendance and to save money but its just not fair for the lower seeds

THE Cock 02-04-2014 11:51 PM

Gotta agree with the NCAA here. Time to put on your big boy pants and make the needed changes SC i.e. the "elephant in the room". It's 2014.

Acockolypse Now 02-05-2014 12:18 AM

That elephant has nothing to do with college athletics and our universities are being penalized over something they have zero control over.

As usual the NCAA is overstepping it's bounds and bringing politics into the mix.

FLCock89 02-05-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock (Post 4079476)
I'm really not sure how it goes, but I know for basketball, we will not get consideration to host ( due to the Elephant in the room)...

Right now, we are a projected 2 seed, but they have us in the West Lafayette Regional ( against #7 Purdue)... IMO, a 2 seed should not have to play a damn road game in the 2nd round of the tourney.

The current system is a "bid" type system. Before the season, cities/schools can place a bid to host a regional and 16 are given out. Many times you will see schools that know they have legitimate chances of making the tournament place a bid to host hoping to gain a home court advantage in the tournament. One of the most extreme recent examples I can remember was #1 seed Stanford playing #16 seed Hampton in Hampton, VA a couple years back in the first round.

Even if the host school doesn't make the tournament, they will still be a host. So in your example, even if Purdue tanked to end the season and missed the tourney, West Lafayette would still host a regional. Because these sites are based on bids and not merit, South Carolina is ineligible to host based on the flag rule.

But as Luke said, they're getting rid of this system soon. Until then, our best hope is to get placed into a regional that is completely neutral court so we don't get a home court disadvantage against a lower seed.

TheShelbySensation 02-05-2014 12:53 AM

Keep it flyin!!

COCKYWOOD 02-05-2014 12:58 AM

:woo::woo::woo: I'm no lawyer but, it seems our rights have been violated by the NCAA allowing this. :wink::wink::wink:

ReadR00ster 02-05-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLCock89 (Post 4079603)
The current system is a "bid" type system. Before the season, cities/schools can place a bid to host a regional and 16 are given out. Many times you will see schools that know they have legitimate chances of making the tournament place a bid to host hoping to gain a home court advantage in the tournament. One of the most extreme recent examples I can remember was #1 seed Stanford playing #16 seed Hampton in Hampton, VA a couple years back in the first round.

Even if the host school doesn't make the tournament, they will still be a host. So in your example, even if Purdue tanked to end the season and missed the tourney, West Lafayette would still host a regional. Because these sites are based on bids and not merit, South Carolina is ineligible to host based on the flag rule.

But as Luke said, they're getting rid of this system soon. Until then, our best hope is to get placed into a regional that is completely neutral court so we don't get a home court disadvantage against a lower seed.

It's ridiculous if you can't have the higher seeds playing in their own buildings than you don't need to put ANY teams in their own buildings. Why they heck should Purdue be rewarded like that?

jellafever 02-05-2014 02:09 AM

It sure would be nice if I could get access to the PF so I could answer this thread. Apparently the PF mod is asleep at the wheel.

jellafever 02-05-2014 02:11 AM

Also, the change for next year to merit based versus predetermined bids was up for a vote. It's not a guarantee that it will change to merit based, although it is likely.

b381l 02-05-2014 02:50 AM

maybe then we will bid on a BCS game....

Ahmad 02-05-2014 02:53 AM

The flag issue will be a contributing factor in Staley leaving.

treys1986 02-05-2014 07:30 AM

I think it needs to come down.

ceworkd 02-05-2014 08:48 AM

Thank God the NAACP is NOT targeting black and/or minor coaches or student athletes with a negative campaign to boycott USC before they join. There's NO way we could compete in the SEC period!!!!!! The nation's top talent would seek other schools to coach and play. The flag MUST be removed.:clap:

3MTA3 02-05-2014 08:59 AM

Lady Gamecocks Basketball Tournament "Issue"

Both sides on this issue are in the wrong. The NAACP is hurting those they claim to represent, and those who are adamant about resisting the NAACP only do so because they're so stubborn that they take a stance of "I won't be told what to do, no matter how much it hurts our community!"

It really is pathetic for both sides.