CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203808)

GSC2013 02-05-2014 07:13 PM

THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

I guess its ok now to discuss these rookies here now, since they are no longer recruits but signees.

So, we have Wideman, Lamin and the Blake kid all coming in at DL. Which one has the best immediate impact? Lamin is a JUCO obviously, so he may start. Word on Wideman is he's game ready right now.

DB. We got a couple great ones. Lammons and Green are 4-star, and may need to start immediately. Concerns?

And we landed a stud at LB, with Bryson Allen-Williams. He along with Skai Moore are gonna be terrifying for opponents!!!

I think this defense is shaping up to be a monster. It can be really good this year. But my goodness, 2015??? USC's D is gonna be top 5 in the nation by then. And, seems most of these new guys have great attitudes, humble, hard working. The kind of guys who show up as 3/4 star recruits, and put in 110% every single day and become 1st rounders.

The staff really wrapped up some good ones, where do you all think they fit into this team and on the field? They're officially Gamecocks. Time to start putting the pieces together for 2014.

badfish17 02-05-2014 07:29 PM

Re: THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

Offense; i'd say Crosby might see some time at TE this year. Maybe Samuel mid/late season at WR or Returner.

On Defense; Lamin, Sawyer and Thomas should all see time on the Dline. Wideman will also play if he qualifies, some say there's a question. Smith and Green will play at CB.

qock 02-05-2014 07:31 PM

Re: THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

BAW will lead the team in sacks next year

Gamecocks1137 02-05-2014 07:36 PM

Our secondary is going to be nasty!

usc1 02-05-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qock (Post 4081145)

If our freshman back up LB leads us in sacks then we're in trouble.

Biggest impact next year:
1. Wes Green
2. Jhaustin Thomas (or whichever freshman DE sits atop the depth chart...Sawyer/Wideman?)

Hidden Gem- Harris Jr.

The Yancey 02-05-2014 07:39 PM

They have to be able to qualify first. Not everyone will.

GarnetSwarm1990 02-05-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qock (Post 4081145)

Our linebackers don't tend to get too many sacks.

My bet is that Thomas or English will lead the team in sacks.

Biocockanics 02-05-2014 07:43 PM

what just happened? did POTUS die?

oh, we signed new players.

yay

Garnet Gamecock 02-05-2014 07:45 PM

Whoever is in trouble qualifying, we need to set that person up with tutoring from "Miss Sue".

GSC2013 02-05-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4081160)
what just happened? did POTUS die?

oh, we signed new players.

yay

"That just happened!!" is just a fun quote from the movie Talladega Nights. And I used it to reference the fact that we just kinda swiped some pretty big time recruits out from under UGA, UF, FSU, Wisky and Nebraska's noses. All were committed at one point to those schools.

So, a little fun "That just happened!!" if you saw the movie was appropriate.

Geez. Lighten up:happycoc:

Sir Cuss 02-05-2014 08:09 PM

Over the next 3 years, our LB corps is (currently and) going to be SOOOO stacked.

CarolinaGnB521 02-05-2014 08:33 PM

Exciting times. Logically our biggest concerns without the incoming freshmen on the team is at CB and DL, so you automatically have to assume that the two big corner commits are going to be impact freshman, along with a few of the incoming DL players.

uscGRAD04 02-05-2014 08:39 PM

John Whittle on 107.5 seemed more confident on Wideman making it in than Sawyer.

c0ckkn0cker 02-05-2014 08:42 PM

After watching tape of DJ smith, I can definitely see him growing into a safety. He has the best tackling ability for a DB that I've ever seen coming out of HS at least from the random highlights I watch on YouTube.

JaxcockFL 02-05-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4081153)
They have to be able to qualify first. Not everyone will.

Can't we just Tar Heel them in?

PageUSC 02-05-2014 09:01 PM

Green and Lammons likely walk into the 2 deep at CB with our depth. Wouldn't be surprised if one starts along with Rico. DJ Smith is good enough to not redshirt too. I expect Harris and Smalls to RS. I also expect Lammons to win a PR or KR job.

At DE, hell it just depends on who can qualify out of Wideman, Thomas, and Sawyer. I think Thomas is most ready to contribute out of JUCO. If we can get 2 out of those 2 in school I think that's a plus.

At DT Lamin can be in the 2 deep right this year. Stallworth can RS.

BAW will battle Roberts for the 2 deep spot behind Skai.

On the OL, I expect Stanley and Young to RS.

QB Scarr will RS.

I expect Googer, Samuel, and Shaq to RS as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Shaq or Samuel got some PT.

Crosby may crack the lineup at the H-Back role.

I expect Ritchie to RS if he makes it into school.

Gamecocks1137 02-05-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4081227)
Green and Lammons likely walk into the 2 deep at CB with our depth. Wouldn't be surprised if one starts along with Rico. DJ Smith is good enough to not redshirt too. I expect Harris and Smalls to RS. I also expect Lammons to win a PR or KR job.

At DE, hell it just depends on who can qualify out of Wideman, Thomas, and Sawyer. I think Thomas is most ready to contribute out of JUCO. If we can get 2 out of those 2 in school I think that's a plus.

QB Scarr will RS.

I expect Googer, Samuel, and Shaq to RS as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Shaq or Samuel got some PT.

I can see Googer redshirt just based on his ACL injury. I don't believe Shaq is going to redshirt, I believe he gets playing time immediately.

usc1 02-05-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PageUSC (Post 4081227)

QB Scarr will RS.

I agree with all this, although I'd put DJ Smith ahead of Lammons right now just based off the fact that Lammons has hardly played any corner up to this point and will have to learn a lot. The talent is definitely there.

PageUSC 02-05-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4081230)
I can see Googer redshirt just based on his ACL injury. I don't believe Shaq is going to redshirt, I believe he gets playing time immediately.

True freshmen WRs don't typically do well in Spurrier's Offense. The route tree is difficult to pick up.

It even took Alshon what 5 games to see significant time. Last year Cooper's snaps were limited at WR, but he is special.

PageUSC 02-05-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4081233)
I agree with all this, although I'd put DJ Smith ahead of Lammons right now just based off the fact that Lammons has hardly played any corner up to this point and will have to learn a lot. The talent is definitely there.

Fair enough. I could see that happening.