CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   A little love from ESPN, Season report card (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203850)

Gamerooster 02-06-2014 10:46 PM

A little love from ESPN, Season report card

The only thing that keeps this (season) from being a solid ďAĒ was the inexplicable loss to Tennessee. Spurrier has taken the Gamecocks to unprecedented heights, but that 23-21 loss to the Vols and some of his decision-making in the second half wasnít his finest hour. Otherwise, the season speaks for itself. South Carolina was the only team in the country to beat three different teams that finished in the top 10 of the final AP poll and won 11 games for the third straight season. Go back and count how many times thatís been done, period, in the SEC. Spurrier has turned South Carolina into a national power, and nobody would have predicted that when the Head Ball Coach took over in Columbia in 2005.

The rest:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...44&src=desktop

usc1 02-06-2014 10:50 PM

Re: A little love from ESPN, Season report card

Pretty spot on assessment

ucan'tlickourcocks 02-06-2014 11:21 PM

Damn....... I will sleep better tonight with our A-

3 wins against top 10 teams speaks for itself! Although I still believe Clemsux was not a top 10 team!

Just sayin...............

b381l 02-06-2014 11:27 PM

where would be if we had beat UT and lost to Missouri....

Carolina4Life 02-07-2014 12:18 AM

I want a National Championship. Forget a report card from ESPN.

uscsandstorm85 02-07-2014 02:40 AM

So ESPN does not hate us anymore.

garnet&black1998rn 02-07-2014 05:47 AM

espn still blows ................... duh

Flameout12 02-07-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerooster (Post 4082426)
Spurrier has turned South Carolina into a national power, and nobody would have predicted that when the Head Ball Coach took over in Columbia in 2005.

Dude, that's what we hired him to do and lots of people thought it would happen....just lots sooner. I expected it to show up around his 4th or 5th yr.

Getting some noticeably better asst. coaches around '09-'10 was huge!

Nureye 02-07-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4082564)
I want a National Championship. Forget a report card from ESPN.

You gotta get a grip on reality.

Woody7687 02-07-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flameout12 (Post 4082669)
Dude, that's what we hired him to do and lots of people thought it would happen....just lots sooner. I expected it to show up around his 4th or 5th yr.

Getting some noticeably better asst. coaches around '09-'10 was huge!

Points!!! If we would have been any other program Spurrier would have been in the hotseat after his 3rd 4th year. Am I glad he got us where we are, hell yes Im tickled pink but I too thought it would happen a lot sooner. Just goes to show you where our program was when he got here and as much as we love Lou, he got us to a few bowl games but never elevated us to this level. In fact the damage Lou put on us with NCAA violations and such probably hurt Spurrier his first few years.

JDStud6 02-07-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4082703)
You gotta get a grip on reality.

That's not really a far stretch.

If North hadn't made a spectacular catch in the TN game, we would have played Auburn for the SECCG.

Most likely they would have won but if we won that, we're in the title game and I think we matched up pretty good against FSU.

JD

cockinraleigh 02-07-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDStud6 (Post 4082718)

If North hadn't made a spectacular catch in the TN game, we would have played Auburn for the SECCG.

Most likely they would have won but if we won that, we're in the title game and I think we matched up pretty good against FSU.

JD

This

Nureye 02-07-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Most likely
they would have won but ifwe won that, we're in the title game and I think we matched up pretty good against FSU.

JD

The words in red indicate tater logic.

However, my previous comment was more an issue with C4L's recent blabbering about how awful our coaches are at recruiting, and how Clemson is better than us at everything (except beating us in football.).

Carolina4Life 02-07-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nureye (Post 4082766)
The words in red indicate tater logic.

However, my previous comment was more an issue with C4L's recent blabbering about how awful our coaches are at recruiting, and how Clemson is better than us at everything (except beating us in football.).

Way to twist my stance on our program. I never said Clemson was better than us in anything other than getting star recruits. National Championship is wanting too much? Give me a break. What is the need in competing year in and year out if that's not your ultimate goal?

ReadR00ster 02-07-2014 01:33 PM

How can such a great team like South Carolina lose to such a terrible doormat like Tennessee? ... man that sounds awesome when people say that.

MisterClowney 02-07-2014 01:37 PM

ESPN only is nice to Carolina because they are biased towards the SEC and hate everyone else especially Clemson. - Tigernet

Gamerooster 02-07-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4082884)
How can such a great team like South Carolina lose to such a terrible doormat like Tennessee? ... man that sounds awesome when people say that.

Things have certainly changed. Our overall record with Tennessee is 7-23-2. Our record with SOS as head coach is 5-4 and he coached our only 2 wins in Knoxville.

rosstheboss 02-07-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterClowney (Post 4082891)
ESPN only is nice to Carolina because they are biased towards the SEC and hate everyone else especially Clemson. - Tigernet

unless it comes to recruiting, then ESPN is all that matters since they ranked clemson the highest

Acockolypse Now 02-07-2014 02:40 PM

I predicted it when he was hired too.

I mean, that's why we hired him.

USCfootball 02-07-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

JD

FSU would have prison raped us in the title game. Take off the glasses. However, with this recruiting class.....I think a national title is 1 to 2 seasons away.