CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SEC football coach most wins (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203872)

Take-a-Knee 02-07-2014 01:47 PM

SEC football coach most wins

Some of our redshirt recruits have a reasonable chance to help Coach Spurrier
to get the Bear's all time SEC win record .. Coach is 31 wins away .. Do you think Tanner should start promoting this a little more ? I believe if Coach can hang on for 6 or 7 more years , Gamecock Football will on as solid a ground as possible ..

Gamecocks1137 02-07-2014 02:02 PM

Re: SEC football coach most wins

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4082904)
to get the Bear's all time SEC win record .. Coach is 31 wins away .. Do you think Tanner should start promoting this a little more ? I believe if Coach can hang on for 6 or 7 more years , Gamecock Football will on as solid a ground as possible ..

Who needs six or seven when we can do it in 4?

usc1 02-07-2014 02:02 PM

31 wins is still a long ways away. Don't think it needs to be seriously talked about right now.

SanAntonioCock 02-07-2014 02:29 PM

Stay focus.

FearThethumbandDJ 02-07-2014 02:55 PM

31=3 years

BOOK IT

Spurticus 02-07-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock (Post 4082952)
Stay focus.

^
+1

Just because we have had a strong run the past 3/4 years and have set new
high marks for this program doesn't mean we / our coaches or players, should
start looking at "milestones" when we still have much more to accomplish as
a team / program. Continue winning, aim for titles and let the milestones
fall in place when our guys get to them. JUST KEEP WINNING !!!!

jrussjr 02-07-2014 03:09 PM

^^^^^
+1

I like the mantra "one game at a time"...even if its South Alabama at the Willie B!!

scfanohio 02-07-2014 03:11 PM

Heard the HBC on the Bill King show this morning. King was bragging about our program and the HBC talked about the 42 wins over the last four years but then said we haven't won the SEC yet but we need to "sneak in there and win it in the next 2-3 years".

He's focused only on the SEC, and I think that comment was telling about how much longer he thinks he can coach.

As an aside, Bill King, after the interview, asked the audience to join him in a prayer for Steve Spurrier to never retire from coaching college football. He said the game of college football is so much better when Spurrier is in it.

superfly 02-07-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ (Post 4082978)
31=3 years

BOOK IT

Duh....not when you play 8 conference games a year. They are talking conference wins....

Take-a-Knee 02-07-2014 03:48 PM

If this recruiting class pans out like I hope , I think the program moves up another notch towards elite .. I really like the DL potential and depth we are building .. Great time to be a Gamecock !!!

Roosterboy 02-07-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee (Post 4082904)

I think Spurrier would like to get that number...but I think he is more focused on winning an SEC championship or two before he leaves.

Roosterboy 02-07-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfanohio (Post 4082994)
Heard the HBC on the Bill King show this morning. King was bragging about our program and the HBC talked about the 42 wins over the last four years but then said we haven't won the SEC yet but we need to "sneak in there and win it in the next 2-3 years".

He's focused only on the SEC, and I think that comment was telling about how much longer he thinks he can coach.

As an aside, Bill King, after the interview, asked the audience to join him in a prayer for Steve Spurrier to never retire from coaching college football. He said the game of college football is so much better when Spurrier is in it.

That is what I like to hear.
He knows the last few years we have pissed a game away and cost ourselves a shot at the SEC title game, especially last year.

Next year, this team, with the offense we have coming back, we can compete for an SEC trip.

brat 02-07-2014 05:12 PM

I think the comment on needing to win the SEC in the next 2-3 years means we should have a team capable of it and for our recruiting and program to keep building, we need to do it soon, or else we will be looked at as just another school that can't get it done and it may begin to have an adverse reaction with media and recruits.

Garnet Gamecock 02-08-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

31=3 years

BOOK IT

Yep, and I think that makes Coach a lock to stay for at least that long.

The man was born to break records.

Besides, he could coach circles around the Bear.

As an outsider from Texas growing up, it always amazed me at how many of Alabama's games under Bear Bryant were played against absolute powderpuffs. There were many years where they only played a handful of semi-decent teams.

Spur's Addiction 02-08-2014 06:51 PM

Once SOS get within about 5 wins they (athletic dep) should start talking about it. Before then- it would just be a distraction.

Yearofthegamecock 02-08-2014 07:24 PM

Spurrier has been setting goals for the team the day he got here. I think the team should set this one for him.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

crowcutta 02-08-2014 08:31 PM

it would likely take 5-6 years. with 5 being a great run, 6 being good. the only way i could see him sticking around for a 7th season to break the record is if he either feels great about the team going into that year or if he already has an sec title here and still feels the desire to coach.

Coulwoodwarlord 02-08-2014 09:40 PM

It's gonna take another 5 years if it takes a day. When the Boss hits 70 years old, we will be on borrowed time. I hope for Steve's sake that we do win an SEC title. I wish it more for him than for us. We as Gamecocks may never be able to compensate him for all he has done for our University.

ReadR00ster 02-08-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

31=3 years

BOOK IT

It's mathematically impossible. Most you can win is 9 a-year and you have to win the SEC championship to do that.

uscsandstorm85 02-08-2014 10:51 PM

I feel like Spurrier is more interested in team goals than he is in personal ones.