CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Furman to discontinue men's golf program (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=203887)

uscgmck 02-07-2014 11:35 PM

Furman to discontinue men's golf program

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1

sporkgod50 02-07-2014 11:42 PM

Re: Furman to discontinue men's golf program

Hooray title IX!

ShutTheSuccop 02-08-2014 10:13 AM

As a furman alum and avid golfer, that saddens me greatly. I had lots of good friends who played golf there not to mention Brad Faxon. The women's program has been more successful but it makes no sense to cut men's golf except due to title ix but at a private school is title IX enforced? The basketball team is about as successful as the golf team and I would honestly bet that a majority of big donors care more about golf than other sports except maybe football...

Furman is becoming more and more concerned about money than ever before...tuition is skyrocketing...oh well guess my donations to purple tee club will end...the more I hear out of Furmna, the more I realize it is no longer the place I attended

...of course our most famous sports alum is a soccer player and at least we have lacrosse, lol...what a ****ing joke...create one sport and cut another

Captain9Dragons 02-08-2014 11:27 AM

they will find the money

InletCock1989 02-08-2014 11:58 AM

I had a three quarter scholarship there in 2007 for golf.

ShutTheSuccop 02-08-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InletCock1989 (Post 4083513)
I had a three quarter scholarship there in 2007 for golf.

From what I cam tell, it is to fund the lacrosse program, though they won't outright admit it...

Did you play at furman or go somewhere else?

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-08-2014 02:49 PM

Anytime an athletic program is cut is a sad day.

Legalman72 02-08-2014 03:11 PM

This sucks. Furman's had some great golf in its day and I hate to hear this.

doc 02-08-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop (Post 4083480)
...of course our most famous sports alum is a soccer player and at least we have lacrosse, lol...what a ****ing joke...create one sport and cut another

I think Frank Selvy is the most famous Furman sports alum.

FurmanCock 02-08-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 4083602)

Tough to argue with that one, but I would put Sam Wyche up there also. Brad Faxon graduated the year before I got to Furman, but I always followed his career on the PGA. This is a real disappointment.

ShutTheSuccop 02-09-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 4083602)

Selvy certainly has the biggest record held by a furman athlete but I think that Clint Dempsey has much more fame. There are also many accomplished female golfers in the past so maybe my opinion is biased by who is famous today...so you may be right!

ShutTheSuccop 02-09-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurmanCock (Post 4083979)
Tough to argue with that one, but I would put Sam Wyche up there also. Brad Faxon graduated the year before I got to Furman, but I always followed his career on the PGA. This is a real disappointment.

There is a petition going around for alums to try to fight this...if interested I can try to send you a link. I never in a million years thought they would drop golf at furman...the new president will have a fire to put out immediately

LBC 02-09-2014 09:48 AM

Furman also just started their first season ever in D1 Lacrosse...which is by far the fastest growing sport both at the college...from a new program standpoint...and youth level.

FurmanCock 02-09-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop (Post 4084140)
There is a petition going around for alums to try to fight this...if interested I can try to send you a link. I never in a million years thought they would drop golf at furman...the new president will have a fire to put out immediately

Thanks, Succop. Please send me the link. I'll happily sign it.

jcausc 02-09-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC (Post 4084145)
Furman also just started their first season ever in D1 Lacrosse...which is by far the fastest growing sport both at the college...from a new program standpoint...and youth level.

we should have a lacrosse team have them play at stone stadium.

ShutTheSuccop 03-19-2014 10:21 AM

Golf program being reinstated....good move, but I wonder how long it could last...not a great recruiting tool

http://newspress.furman.edu/2014/02/...ack-mens-golf/

robgusc76 03-19-2014 11:01 AM

Its all title IX. I don't care what they say, Instead of cutting the golf program now, they cut funding of the baseball program.

markymark550 03-19-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop (Post 4083480)
As a furman alum and avid golfer, that saddens me greatly. I had lots of good friends who played golf there not to mention Brad Faxon. The women's program has been more successful but it makes no sense to cut men's golf except due to title ix but at a private school is title IX enforced? The basketball team is about as successful as the golf team and I would honestly bet that a majority of big donors care more about golf than other sports except maybe football...

Furman is becoming more and more concerned about money than ever before...tuition is skyrocketing...oh well guess my donations to purple tee club will end...the more I hear out of Furmna, the more I realize it is no longer the place I attended

Title IX applies to any institution that accepts any type of federal funding. I have no clue about how Furman is funded, but I would bet there's some federal money coming in somewhere.

I read about a case concerning high schools in, I think, Pennsylvania where a private high school that accepted no federal funds was subject to Title IX because another school in the district accepted federal funds. Going on that precedent, the public schools in the SoCon would subject Furman to Title IX by association regardless of how Furman is funded.