CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Lacrosse (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204120)

2000grad 02-16-2014 04:15 PM

Lacrosse

Any other lacrosse people in here? I just started getting into the sport. Pretty enjoyable

B-G 02-16-2014 04:22 PM

Re: Lacrosse

Since moving up here I've gotten into it.
A lot of people I work with played in college.

I enjoy it.

robgusc76 02-16-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4089443)
Any other lacrosse people in here? I just started getting into the sport. Pretty enjoyable

No, but we added to our sports at NGU for next year, so Ill have to start soon.

LBC 02-16-2014 04:35 PM

Absolutely. I honestly enjoy the game of Lacrosse more than any other. My son has played travel lacrosse for the last five years...just started his fifth. It is by far the fastest growing sport in the country. From both a boys and girls standpoint and the number of college programs is getting ready to explode. The number of kids who have dropped baseball/softball because of how radically slow paced and boring it is and picked up a lax stick is ridiculous. Especially kids who like the contact and non-stop action of sports like football, hockey and basketball...I think five of the 20 kids on my son's team also just got finished up with middle school wrestling as well.

I've been a fan since I was a kid but growing up in SC meant no one I knew played it. That is a thing of the past now. Everyone is playing it now and as I said it is by far the fastest growing sport in the country by a long shot.

The days of only private schools from Baltimore and New York playing are long gone. Places like Colorado, California, Florida, Virginia, NC, Washington, Oregon, Utah, etc. are seeing youth baseball /softball numbers plummet and Lacrosse explode.

TheMule 02-16-2014 08:10 PM

Charlotte has a pro team: http://www.charlottehounds.com/ I think the guy who calls Gaffney sports also still calls the Hounds' games.

Limestone College has had a really good team for several years now and has won a couple of national championships. They get most of their players from the Baltimore area.

Thenardier 02-16-2014 08:25 PM

I could always catch the the ball, but whenever I tried to fling it out, it'd always just drop out.

robgusc76 02-16-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMule (Post 4089743)
Charlotte has a pro team: http://www.charlottehounds.com/ I think the guy who calls Gaffney sports also still calls the Hounds' games.

Limestone College has had a really good team for several years now and has won a couple of national championships. They get most of their players from the Baltimore area.

Still have a good program. They were picked to win our conference (conference carolinas) again this season.

B-G 02-16-2014 10:22 PM

Yea most of the top college teams have rosters full of kids from NY, NJ and MD.

markp_vip 02-17-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC (Post 4089465)
Absolutely. I honestly enjoy the game of Lacrosse more than any other. My son has played travel lacrosse for the last five years...just started his fifth. It is by far the fastest growing sport in the country. From both a boys and girls standpoint and the number of college programs is getting ready to explode. The number of kids who have dropped baseball/softball because of how radically slow paced and boring it is and picked up a lax stick is ridiculous. Especially kids who like the contact and non-stop action of sports like football, hockey and basketball...I think seven of the 20 kids on my son's team also just got finished up with middle school wrestling as well.

I've been a fan since I was a kid but growing up in SC meant no one I knew played it. That is a thing of the past now. Everyone is playing it now and as I said it is by far the fastest growing sport in the country by a long shot.

The days of only private schools from Baltimore and New York playing are long gone. Places like Colorado, California, Florida, Virginia, NC, Washington, Oregon, Utah, etc. are seeing youth baseball /softball numbers plummet and Lacrosse explode.

It's great seeing lacrosse start to take off like it is. I grew up playing it in New Jersey and Virginia. When I moved to VA in the late 80's it was still a club sport in highschool. I think the only thing that has held it back from growing quicker is the cost of equipment just to get started.

The Yancey 02-17-2014 11:26 AM

I have a friend who played college lacrosse at Wellesley. Nice sport.

hellraiser24 02-17-2014 11:44 AM

I played in high school and last summer I joined a men's team in Columbia. Such a fun sport, and I am glad it has gained popularity over the past decade.

TKE226 02-17-2014 12:53 PM

"Up here" its a huge sport. MD, NJ, NY, MA is the place to be for lacrosse. I can remember going to the NCAAs at Bryd Stadium at UMD campus when I was 8. Also went to a high school that was at the time a regional contender year after year.

However I think I played for 2 years..had more interest in baseball.

rileytm 02-17-2014 01:57 PM

I coach lacrosse here in Greer. Awesome sport, wish they would have had it when I was in school. I think it appeals to many because of two reasons:
1. it combines soccer, field hockey, softball/baseball, basketball and football (kind of) all into one.
2. For younger players, they may have gotten burnt out on Soccer or other sports and want to try something new, or some were never good enough to make other varsity sports, but since Lacrosse is new, most are still learning and it is something you can pick up pretty quickly.