CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Student attendance (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204168)

USCfootball 02-17-2014 08:59 PM

Student attendance

Alarming trend across the country

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...football-games

TKE226 02-18-2014 12:23 PM

Re: Student attendance

an example of how the youth today would rather "socialize" through social media than actual social events.

palmettosc 02-18-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKE226 (Post 4090939)
an example of how the youth today would rather "socialize" through social media than actual social events.

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with large high quality TV's that are now available. 10 years ago watching the game at a tailgate was damn near impossible to do with any sort of quality picture. I think that has more to do with it than social media.

uscgamecocks88 02-18-2014 12:31 PM

I'm not a student so maybe I'm missing something but while watching the game on a HDTV with air conditioning, easy access to other games, and no bathroom lines are nice, the stadium experience is a big part too...

B-G 02-18-2014 12:42 PM

I think HD TVs is a big part.

I will say when I was a student (going be 2 years ago in may) I didn't get a ticket for some of the smaller games, would watch our game at tailgate, as well as some of the other games that may have been going on.

I just don't think you're going to get the same atmosphere at a noon game against day Kentucky or a D1aa team as you will for a night game against Clemson or Georgia.

kick_ball 02-18-2014 12:45 PM

i will always favor being in the stadium for games but there are times when a nice tv, access to cold adult beverage, easy access to bathrooms, cooler temps and not a ton of drunk people stumbling all over you seemed like a nice alternative

Woody7687 02-18-2014 12:52 PM

I for one will say this, there is nothing like gameday in the Will B!! I love it, sends chills up my spine when 2001 is played and the team rushes the field. But I will say this there are times when I would rather hang out at the tailgate or house and drink as much cold beer as I please and eat what i want and watch it all on 70 in crystal clear HD. I believe if they sold alcohol at games the attendance would be better. But Im sure there will be a bunch of holier than thous in here to slam that idea.

CockTail 02-18-2014 12:55 PM

Attendance is a problem at many live sporting events. You can either embrace the problem or blame those who are not going. Here is what I would suggest to improve attendance at WB:

1.) Improve Wifi reception. Make it easier for our students to tweet and send pictures of the game. Embrace the technology.

2.) Move some the student section to behind the visitors bench. This would be better seats for the students and make it rough on the visitors. This could be a reward for students who attend the games. I am sure they can track by seat who has attended the games. Maybe only Jr's and Sr's who attend 90% of games can get those seats.

3.) Play better music and let the announcer have some fun, make the atmosphere more like an Arena Football League game, not like the Lawrence Welk Show. I like Sandstorm, but overplaying it makes it lose its appeal.

4.) Not sure if this is already being done, but designate a family section of the stadium where fowl language is not permitted. Nothing ruins a family gathering like a drunk a-hole.

5.) Shoot T-shirts into the stands during time outs. Find ways to keep fans engaged during the whole game.

6.) You have to sell beer.

Our atmosphere is pretty darn good, but attendance will fall substantially if we start losing a few games, look at what has happened to Florida.

dffoxfanatic71 02-18-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockTail (Post 4090984)
Attendance is a problem at many live sporting events. You can either embrace the problem or blame those who are not going. Here is what I would suggest to improve attendance at WB:

1.) Improve Wifi reception. Make it easier for our students to tweet and send pictures of the game. Embrace the technology.

2.) Move some the student section to behind the visitors bench. This would be better seats for the students and make it rough on the visitors. This could be a reward for students who attend the games. I am sure they can track by seat who has attended the games. Maybe only Jr's and Sr's who attend 90% of games can get those seats.

3.) Play better music and let the announcer have some fun, make the atmosphere more like an Arena Football League game, not like the Lawrence Welk Show. I like Sandstorm, but overplaying it makes it lose its appeal.

4.) Not sure if this is already being done, but designate a family section of the stadium where fowl language is not permitted. Nothing ruins a family gathering like a drunk a-hole.

5.) Shoot T-shirts into the stands during time outs. Find ways to keep fans engaged during the whole game.

6.) You have to sell beer.

Our atmosphere is pretty darn good, but attendance will fall substantially if we start losing a few games, look at what has happened to Florida.

Location is perfect. many students (including me) love the endzone. there's also that sec rule about being behind the bench. but you cant assign seats in the ss. everyone wants to sit with friends. the biggest boon we get is to sit in the lower deck, as apposed to the upper deck or no tix.

Beer will never be sold unless the NCAA changes their rules. that being said all of the stadium is alcohol free (technically)

sandstorm is however overplayed. but its a difficult line to toe and better wifi/4g coverage would be awesome.

ktguen 02-18-2014 01:17 PM

Better service/wifi would help tons. A lot of times students get separated from their friends while being herded into the section or want to meet up with other people/get in touch with others. Or catch up on action of some other games. This idea might bother some of the older crowd on here but it's not going to change. Saying students shouldn't be doing that/should be paying more attention to the game isn't going to solve the issue. (Also, the majority of the student section IS paying attention to the game. It is possible to check your phone every once and a while and still cheer/support the team. Doesn't make you any less of a fan) The stadium must adapt to the times.

Not saying this is the only solution but it would help. The draw of the fancy tailgates and lack of alcohol in the stadium also hurts. But the wifi issue would be the easiest one to fix.

CockyLifer 02-18-2014 04:02 PM

1. Sell Beer don't card near student section.

2. Reduce student section

3. Why does everyone need wifi at the game? You are at the game for the game right? I understand it sucks not being able to text and stuff but watch the game people and take the people who you really need to be texting about it (< wifi problem solved)

4. Some people can't afford the cost of going to the games and already have television service paid for. Can cost you and a group of friends anywhere from $500-$1500 for a game and tailgate. Compare that to $75-$150 for cases and grub at home where you see multiple views of the game and don't have to worry about driving after drinking and can have more people over for that experience.

Now I Love going to the games and will continue to do so just understand why people don't.

palmettosc 02-18-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockyLifer (Post 4091195)

3. Why does everyone need wifi at the game? You are at the game for the game right? I understand it sucks not being able to text and stuff but watch the game people and take the people who you really need to be texting about it (< wifi problem solved)

4. Some people can't afford the cost of going to the games and already have television service paid for. Can cost you and a group of friends anywhere from $500-$1500 for a game and tailgate. Compare that to $75-$150 for cases and grub at home where you see multiple views of the game and don't have to worry about driving after drinking and can have more people over for that experience.

Now I Love going to the games and will continue to do so just understand why people don't.

You can't solve a legitimate problem by saying it shouldn't exist.

thekob 02-18-2014 04:15 PM

I was able to make it to three games this past year...my first in a decade (since I was a student). It was unbelievably awesome!

With that being said, wifi/cell phone reception is one huge area they could improve. Not sure of the logistics or if it's even feasible, but it'd be awesome to be able to update FB with photos or at least text friends that weren't lucky enough to get to go and brag a bit on the team.

Sandstorm....wait...you guys mean to tell me that techno music from the 90's is no longer cool?

I think they're going to see dividends with some of the changes they made mid season this past year. It's hard to force people to go to a noon kickoff to play D1AA, especially if they're students who are hung ove....errr...I mean tired from studying. I'm not sure if attendance in general is down a bit (when adjusted to the advent of the insane streaks our team has had the last few years) because of the built up infrastructure around the stadium....it's no longer just Cockabooses....there are condos, bars, etc around where you can watch the game.

Looking forward to getting another three pack this coming year!

Luke Skycocker 02-18-2014 04:30 PM

Selling beer and not carding has to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard. That is 5000 problems waiting to happen

Fear#5 02-18-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

The wifi would be great for halftime and commercial breaks. That's one of the issues right there. The amount of unnecessary commercial breaks and the lengths of these breaks slow the game down a ton. Average fans (which that's all a lot of students are) start to lose focus on the game due to these excessive breaks. That problem could get even worse with all the money ESPN and CBS are pumping into college football.

B-G 02-18-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Ha.

Yea the school will def do that.

ReadR00ster 02-18-2014 04:51 PM

We could play the second half the game in the parking lot from now on. lol.

ReadR00ster 02-18-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4091017)
Better service/wifi would help tons. A lot of times students get separated from their friends while being herded into the section or want to meet up with other people/get in touch with others. Or catch up on action of some other games. This idea might bother some of the older crowd on here but it's not going to change. Saying students shouldn't be doing that/should be paying more attention to the game isn't going to solve the issue. (Also, the majority of the student section IS paying attention to the game. It is possible to check your phone every once and a while and still cheer/support the team. Doesn't make you any less of a fan) The stadium must adapt to the times.

Not saying this is the only solution but it would help. The draw of the fancy tailgates and lack of alcohol in the stadium also hurts. But the wifi issue would be the easiest one to fix.

That is not the problem. The problem is they use the texting to say "I'm bored, let's all go drink in the parking lot." I'm sure a lot of people would like to have the wifi, but that has nothing to do with why people show up then leave. Most plans have unlimited for 4g data anyways. And if they are kind of people that are always using their phone for stuff like that and are using it everywhere they go, that is the kind of plan they are going to have.

GamecockMomSC 02-18-2014 05:09 PM

USC can't sell alcohol in the public/open areas of the stadium because it's against SEC rules; however, anyone who thinks there is a lack of alcohol at WB has never been to a game.

I would imagine that student attendance at football games is in decline for the same reasons that it is down in the general population. Unless you really enjoy the game day atmosphere, and IMO there is nothing like game day at Willy B, TV coverage on a widescreen is simply better. Things will have to be done to increase the in-stadium experience to keep fans in their seats.

SirBigSpur 02-18-2014 08:20 PM

I don't see why students aren't attending the games. I only have 4 years of FREE Gamecock football as a student here. Right now I have very little responsibilities. I don't have a wife to worry about, young children, tough jobs, travel plans etc. This is the best time to soak up all the amazing experiences here at Williams Brice as I can.

It's a shame I'm a sophomore and it's already 50% over