CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Jury Duty in Lexington SC (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204170)

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-17-2014 09:40 PM

Jury Duty in Lexington SC

Has anyone done jury duty here before? I have jury duty tomorrow.

COCKDIESEL 02-17-2014 09:44 PM

Re: Jury Duty in Lexington SC

I haven't but my wife has. The first day they did a ton of preliminary interview stuff and then you wait. At some point she had to call in every night for 4 nights to see if she had to report back the next day.

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-17-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL (Post 4090620)
I haven't but my wife has. The first day they did a ton of preliminary interview stuff and then you wait. At some point she had to call in every night for 4 nights to see if she had to report back the next day.

Thanks this is the first time I have to report for jury duty.

Captain9Dragons 02-17-2014 09:51 PM

their lawyers get to smoke you over and try to figure out if you might help or hurt their client

one guy wore shorts and the judge threatened him with contempt and a fine

our cases were DUI mostly

i didnt get picked, but was rewarded $15 for my troubles

TheUSCMike 02-17-2014 11:04 PM

You will probably get a call in the morning and be told it's cancelled, it's happened to me in Lexington County 3 times and Cayce magistrate's court so many times I've lost count.

Sir Cuss 02-17-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons (Post 4090628)
their lawyers get to smoke you over and try to figure out if you might help or hurt their client

Pretty sure that's with any S.C. state court jury selection, especially with the four preemptory challenges.

2000grad 02-17-2014 11:37 PM

I've been called but always get out of it

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-17-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUSCMike (Post 4090701)
You will probably get a call in the morning and be told it's cancelled, it's happened to me in Lexington County 3 times and Cayce magistrate's court so many times I've lost count.

I put in PTO for the whole day so it won't hurt my feelings if they cancel it, but I wouldn't like wasting 8 hours though.

Sonofacock 02-18-2014 01:38 AM

Act as ignorant as possible

b381l 02-18-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4090622)
Thanks this is the first time I have to report for jury duty.

just tell them in your opinion everyone is guilty until proven innocent....they wouldn't bring them to trial if hey were innocent......you'll be out by 9:00am.

bigdog2003 02-18-2014 08:40 AM

I had jury duty back in 2011 during the regionals for baseball. That Sunday was the huge storm that tore everything up, so the game got pushed to Monday. Figured I would be out of jury duty in plenty of time for the game, didn't get picked to serve, but the judge made me stay and just sit there. Ended up getting out as the game was ending. Thanks for the $15 check for my 6 hours.

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-18-2014 05:32 PM

I got out at noon today only one case the rest were settled out of court, didn't get selected so free for the rest of the week. One bailiff and the judge at least had a sense of humor and tried to make it as painless as possible. Don't have to worry about circuit jury duty until at least 2017.

snruter amabon 02-18-2014 05:38 PM

It's not too late to get one of those Charles Manson Tattoos in the middle of your forehead, should get you exempted.

SwampFox 02-18-2014 05:56 PM

The only time I ever got called for duty in Lexington County, the court was cancelled. It has happened every time I have been called, even after I moved to Florida.

davidmc467 02-18-2014 10:02 PM

I did federal jury duty in Florence a few months ago. I got to handle drugs and guns, had a free hotel, and was reimbursed nicely for my time.

Most people on our jury were at least 75 miles away from home. Driving was a bit of a bummer, but the free hotel made up for it.

The selection process was odd though. I filled out a packet before I even went to selection, then the lawyers never even asked any questions in the courtroom. They just asked about people who had conflicts, excluded a few people, then selected people.

garnet_black215 02-18-2014 10:32 PM

I've gotten jury duty once. Summer of 2011, but got out of it because I was taking a summer class. In fact, the Monday I went was the day after we beat Texas A&M in Omaha.