CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Minor League Baseball in Columbia (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204219)

jared 02-19-2014 10:57 AM

Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
I think there may have been a thread on this a while back so sorry for starting a new one. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this. Things seem to be moving forward..

yesevamoore: City staff might have some baseball stadium docs ready for a Council vote at March 4 meeting.

I like the idea of getting another MiLB team here. Besides baseball, the whole Bull st project brings new restaurants and bars, new housing, and jobs to the area. There is no baseball played in Columbia after the middle of June so I don't think getting people to games would be a problem. MiLB is about entertainment and kids love it. I didn't know this and I'm sure you guys didn't either, but Columbia is the second largest market in the country, behind Tucson, AZ, that doesn't have a professional sports team.

weatheredxtown 02-19-2014 11:48 AM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
I think that would be awesome. When I was little, I remember going to Capital City Bombers games and having a blast.

USCBatgirl21 02-19-2014 12:14 PM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jared (Post 4091829)
There is no baseball played in Columbia after the middle of June so I don't think getting people to games would be a problem.

Actually baseball has been played in Columbia past mid June for quite a few years now. We had the Columbia Blowfish of the Coastal Plains League, a summer wooden bat league for college players.

The problem they will run into with the housing and attracting families is the school zone. The area is zoned for CA Johnson High and its feeder schools. Schools that are not exactly top priority as far as the powers that be in Richland 1 have ever been concerned.

I heard that one proposal had money being put into a charter type school for the families that (they hope) will move into the area. Yeah...that will go over really well with the folks already in that area. Let's throw a bunch of money at a new school instead of trying to improve the failing schools in the area.

Roosterboy 02-19-2014 12:30 PM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4091874)
Actually baseball has been played in Columbia past mid June for quite a few years now. We had the Columbia Blowfish of the Coastal Plains League, a summer wooden bat league for college players.

The problem they will run into with the housing and attracting families is the school zone. The area is zoned for CA Johnson High and its feeder schools. Schools that are not exactly top priority as far as the powers that be in Richland 1 have ever been concerned.

I heard that one proposal had money being put into a charter type school for the families that (they hope) will move into the area. Yeah...that will go over really well with the folks already in that area. Let's throw a bunch of money at a new school instead of trying to improve the failing schools in the area.

Yea that probably would piss them off.
I'd love for Columbia to have a minor league club.
Charleston and Greenville both have teams, so why not Columbia (again).
I remember going to Bomber games and having a good time. Imagine if Columbia gave them a facility like Greenville gave the drive. That team has done a good bit for its downtown explosion.

The RiverDogs are a little different (because it is tucked away between marsh land, an inlet, a neighborhood and the Citadel) , but their park is usually full Friday and Saturday nights.

kick_ball 02-19-2014 12:34 PM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
i know its bigger but the area surrounding the durham bulls park is great... lot of places to eat, shop ... even one restaurant that overlooks left field ... it hosted the ACC baseball tournament it was really cool ... while we wouldn’t host an sec tourney it is still a neat model to follow

USCBatgirl21 02-19-2014 12:41 PM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kick_ball (Post 4091892)
i know its bigger but the area surrounding the durham bulls park is great... lot of places to eat, shop ... even one restaurant that overlooks left field ... it hosted the ACC baseball tournament it was really cool ... while we wouldn’t host an sec tourney it is still a neat model to follow

A little OT, but re the SEC tourney - I wonder, with the new ballpark the Braves are building in the burbs, if that will be looked at for future SEC Tourneys when this latest contract with Hoover runs out.

uscgmck 02-19-2014 12:57 PM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
Lived in "Bull City' for a short while and had my first visit to the Bull's park. I was amazed that you could get a haircut from a pro in a full service shop while watching the game. Very nice ball park.

jared 02-19-2014 01:01 PM

Re: Minor League Baseball in Columbia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4091874)
Actually baseball has been played in Columbia past mid June for quite a few years now. We had the Columbia Blowfish of the Coastal Plains League, a summer wooden bat league for college players.

The problem they will run into with the housing and attracting families is the school zone. The area is zoned for CA Johnson High and its feeder schools. Schools that are not exactly top priority as far as the powers that be in Richland 1 have ever been concerned.

I heard that one proposal had money being put into a charter type school for the families that (they hope) will move into the area. Yeah...that will go over really well with the folks already in that area. Let's throw a bunch of money at a new school instead of trying to improve the failing schools in the area.

Yeah I know we have the Blowfish but a minor league team would pretty much ruin them. Their attendance is pretty bad and they only have about 25 home games. Thats mainly why I didn't mention them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.