CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Columbia School Districts (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204239)

kdog29902 02-19-2014 11:34 PM

Columbia School Districts

So my girlfriend is applying for teaching jobs in the Columbia area. Does anyone have any insight into certain schools districts and schools that would help out? She currently teaches 6th grade language arts in Mississippi. She's worried about getting a job at a school that does not have a good reputation.

usc1 02-19-2014 11:42 PM

Re: Columbia School Districts

Richland One. Crayton Middle.

etowngangsta 02-19-2014 11:45 PM

School of hard knocks sucks. Don't go there.

ktguen 02-20-2014 01:45 AM

If she's going to try to for Richland One I would try for Crayton Middle or Hand Middle. Wouldn't do anything other than those two in Richland One. Can't go wrong with most of them in Richland Lexington 5. I can't give you specific schools in that one but it's a good district.

GamecockNeal 02-20-2014 03:22 AM

As a teacher, I certainly hope she would be more receptive to teaching anywhere and making a difference....The lower income and "bad reputation" schools far out number the ones she seems to be looking for. Lots of great kids and schools that just need good and caring teachers.

2000grad 02-20-2014 07:11 AM

I'm a middle school teacher in the area. You can PM me if you wish

3MTA3 02-20-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockNeal (Post 4092828)
As a teacher, I certainly hope she would be more receptive to teaching anywhere and making a difference....The lower income and "bad reputation" schools far out number the ones she seems to be looking for. Lots of great kids and schools that just need good and caring teachers.

Problem is- a lot of those bad reputation schools are places where the teachers are not provided the tools needed to teach, forcing many teachers to go out and buy supplies out of their own pocket (and God bless those teachers who do)

Also, not every teacher is prepared to play the role of Michelle Pfeifer in Dangerous Minds. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but I think you get the point.

GamecockNeal 02-20-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4092848)
Problem is- a lot of those bad reputation schools are places where the teachers are not provided the tools needed to teach, forcing many teachers to go out and buy supplies out of their own pocket (and God bless those teachers who do)

Also, not every teacher is prepared to play the role of Michelle Pfeifer in Dangerous Minds. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but I think you get the point.

I am well aware about buying supplies. However, there are many ways to assist this problem, if even encountered. Grant writing, fund raising and donations come to mind.

I realize that not everyone is cut out to be in the worst of the worst schools but I think all teachers should want to be challenged, to want to help and to not just limit themselves to only "great schools."

2000grad 02-20-2014 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4092848)

250/Year can't cover my supplies. I always spend my own money. As far as the pfeifer reference, that was a very unique situation. There are many teachers that get some results that don't have notoriety but i know you are aware of that

2000grad 02-20-2014 07:34 AM

I will say this...there are some posters here that have donated funds to schools to help but supplies for students. They should be commended for that. I'd rather the students have the money so the can get what they need

GamecockNeal 02-20-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4092851)
250/Year can't cover my supplies. I always spend my own money. As far as the pfeifer reference, that was a very unique situation. There are many teachers that get some results that don't have notoriety but i know you are aware of that

Yep. I think what im saying is that many people, including some friends, became doctors for the money and not to help people. As teachers, we dont get that option. We go into it because we want to further our kids and nation and are open to challenges. At least I hope thats the case.

3MTA3 02-20-2014 09:34 AM

And then there's Common Core that will discourage some teachers from the profession, but something tells me I'd have to take thy conversation to a corner of the board that is nearly impossible to get access to.

2000grad 02-20-2014 09:47 AM

Please elaborate on that statement because it would be easier for teachers who don't know the current standards to be trained in teaching with common core

usc_yogi 02-20-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdog29902 (Post 4092560)
So my girlfriend is applying for teaching jobs in the Columbia area. Does anyone have any insight into certain schools districts and schools that would help out? She currently teaches 6th grade language arts in Mississippi. She's worried about getting a job at a school that does not have a good reputation.

A good place to start is just looking at some of the info on the school report cards from the state. These are not an end-all be-all assessment of a school, but it will give her an idea about the schools in Richland 1 and 2, and Lexington 1-5 school districts.

http://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/

3MTA3 02-20-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4092878)
Please elaborate on that statement because it would be easier for teachers who don't know the current standards to be trained in teaching with common core

I've seen many effective arguments against Common Core, and how it hamstrings teachers, removing their ability to teach according to their audience (meaning recognizing not all classes respond to an approach the same way- there is no one size fits all)

I actually teach adults often in my line of work (training) and I know that there can be no one size fits all. Every audience is different.

2000grad 02-20-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4092895)
I've seen many effective arguments against Common Core, and how it hamstrings teachers, removing their ability to teach according to their audience (meaning recognizing not all classes respond to an approach the same way- there is no one size fits all)

I actually teach adults often in my line of work (training) and I know that there can be no one size fits all. Every audience is different.

Pedagogy vs standards are not the same thing.

Your bolded statement is a sweeping generalization and is not a true statement. If teachers are taught to differentiate their instruction, their effectiveness will soar.

So, how do you differentiate your instruction in order to reach your multiple intelligences that you teach?

davidmc467 02-20-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4092811)
If she's going to try to for Richland One I would try for Crayton Middle or Hand Middle. Wouldn't do anything other than those two in Richland One. Can't go wrong with most of them in Richland Lexington 5. I can't give you specific schools in that one but it's a good district.

Pretty much this. Crayton and Hand are good schools in good areas that feed into very strong high schools in Flora and Dreher.

catdaddy66 02-20-2014 11:48 AM

Kershaw county has a lot of great choices and is very close to the NE area of Columbia. Always need good educators in SC, but I'm greedy! Want to herd them ALL to my county!!

3MTA3 02-20-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4092911)
Pedagogy vs standards are not the same thing.

Your bolded statement is a sweeping generalization and is not a true statement. If teachers are taught to differentiate their instruction, their effectiveness will soar.

So, how do you differentiate your instruction in order to reach your multiple intelligences that you teach?

Hey, my bad- I'm only basing my opinion on some very impressive testimony I watched of teachers and students before some committees that I came across. They were very convincing.

2000grad 02-20-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4093196)
Hey, my bad- I'm only basing my opinion on some very impressive testimony I watched of teachers and students before some committees that I came across. They were very convincing.

I saw some of those FB videos...not overly impressed. Here is the problem...you have people that are upset that their children are having to learn a new way to do something and saying "6" is not good enough without the explanation. It is frustrating to the kids and parents. IMO, this is what they should have done...let's say that they started the new standards in the 2013-2014. Teach it to the first graders only. Then, the next year, teach it to the first and the rising 2nd graders from the previous year and continue. What that does is it allows the curriculum to spiral correctly. Thrusting the new curriculum on 8th graders and expecting them to be able to do things based on a foundation that should have been built for the past 7 years...I think you get what I am trying to say.