CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Proving Ground (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Another Spurrier quote (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204259)

Rooster'srule 02-20-2014 09:51 PM

Another Spurrier quote
 
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rrier/5643397/

Spurrier noted that South Carolina had successfully slowed rival Clemson's uptempo offense in the past by keeping it off the field. The Tigers averaged 81.5 plays a game in 2013, but managed only 57 in a 31-17 loss to South Carolina. In losses in 2011 and 2012, Clemson ran 60 and 59 plays, respectively. :clap:

b381l 02-20-2014 10:00 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Nice post. Hard to score if you don't have the ball. Dabo hasn't figured that out yet.
This thread probably needs to be in the Cock Pit.

GamecockInHell 02-20-2014 10:33 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
I really don't like the up-tempo game. Its a gimmick offense designed to cover up and hide deficiencies. It levels the playing field against teams like Bama that load up on 5-star talent, and thats probably a good thing, but I just don't like gimmick offenses.

davisd9 02-20-2014 11:01 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockInHell (Post 4093693)
I really don't like the up-tempo game. Its a gimmick offense designed to cover up and hide deficiencies. It levels the playing field against teams like Bama that load up on 5-star talent, and thats probably a good thing, but I just don't like gimmick offenses.

Agree!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

SanAntonioCock 02-20-2014 11:08 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockInHell (Post 4093693)
I really don't like the up-tempo game. Its a gimmick offense designed to cover up and hide deficiencies. It levels the playing field against teams like Bama that load up on 5-star talent, and thats probably a good thing, but I just don't like gimmick offenses.

What he said.

kick_ball 02-20-2014 11:12 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
but just because some people don't like it doesn't mean they should make a rule saying you cant do it

FearThethumbandDJ 02-21-2014 01:04 AM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kick_ball (Post 4093738)
but just because some people don't like it doesn't mean they should make a rule saying you cant do it

unless saban says it

robgusc76 02-21-2014 01:44 AM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
If they can prove that it causes injuries, I see no problem with it, if not, let it be. But coaches need to realize that fake injuries will happen to slow them down.

b381l 02-21-2014 08:22 AM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robgusc76 (Post 4093810)
If they can prove that it causes injuries, I see no problem with it, if not, let it be. But coaches need to realize that fake injuries will happen to slow them down.

I've heard the injury argument too, but I haven't heard any of that coming from coaches.

Rooster'srule 02-21-2014 10:52 AM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4093626)
Nice post. Hard to score if you don't have the ball. Dabo hasn't figured that out yet.
This thread probably needs to be in the Cock Pit.

You are right. I do not know how to move it. I will be more careful in the future about where I post.

uscjeremynca 02-21-2014 11:16 AM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
I was getting ready to post this in the Cockpit until I saw it here. Not the place for this post at all. However, Spurrier is right. I shared my thoughts in the thread on rule changes but the 10 second rule is a joke. Leave it to Spurrier to speak his mind and actually use common sense.

uscjeremynca 02-21-2014 11:21 AM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
I'll say it again for those of you who don't like gimmick offenses. This isn't just about gimmick offenses. Yes, we run a different style of offense. We prefer eating the clock and holding onto the ball. We have beaten teams regardless of which type of offense they have so it's no issue for our defense.

However, this rule hurts all teams. I go back to what I said in the football rules thread. Remember the game against Missouri where we were down 17 and had to come back in the 4th to tie with 15 secs left? Do you think we win that game when 10 seconds are required to run off when we were trying to come back in that game? No. I'm pretty sure we would have lost at least 15 seconds at some point in the game and we don't get a chance to tie.

LifetimeCock 02-21-2014 12:08 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Carolina has never snapped the ball in less than ten seconds, even in hurry up it takes them 20 seconds, and also if a player has a minor tweak injury he cant get off the field in time, clowney got caught trying to get off and got a five yard penalty with a foot injury, so their only option now is to go to the ground with what has always been an injury that the fans probably never knew about because they were able to get off while the clock was running, it is not an option now, what drives this whole concept of up tempo is "we cant score through straight up football" so lets limit the defenses!!!

kick_ball 02-21-2014 12:22 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LifetimeCock (Post 4093955)
what drives this whole concept of up tempo is "we cant score through straight up football" so lets limit the defenses!!!

see i disagree with this statement.. it is assuming that football offenses cant evolve and change... only the "old school" offenses are the right ones ... one of the major reasons i love college football is the variety of offense and schemes.. now i dont wont SC do use up-tempo because i dont think it is as successful consistently but i dont think there should be rules against it ... but i also say that those up tempo teams should not get upset if teams "fake" injuries to slow the down

uscjeremynca 02-21-2014 12:47 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
One correction on my statement above. We scared with 43 seconds remaining against Missouri and not 15.

However, I'm going to say this until some of you get it. Missouri game. We do not win that game if this rule is in place!!! That has nothing to do with our offense. Zero. Nada. Nothing. However, when teams are down in the 4th quarter and need to hurry up their offense, they would have to wait 10 seconds to snap it.

In the case of the Missouri game, how many snaps did they have under 10 seconds? How many possessions would have they have had to wait another 2, 3, or 4 seconds before they could snap the ball? All of that would have eaten time off the clock and we may not have won. Would we have hurried up more? Maybe, assuming we could get everything snapped after waiting 10 seconds.

This new rule doesn't just affect hurry up offense. It affects all offense and all teams, especially when a team is trailing in a game. It's calling for a mandatory run off of the game clock regardless of the situation and giving teams less time to play the game in the 60 minutes given. Yes, this is fine if you don't run a hurry up offense or you aren't trailing in a game. However, all teams will be affected by this rule - not just up tempo offenses.

Gamecock Scott 02-21-2014 12:51 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uscjeremynca (Post 4093920)
I'll say it again for those of you who don't like gimmick offenses. This isn't just about gimmick offenses. Yes, we run a different style of offense. We prefer eating the clock and holding onto the ball. We have beaten teams regardless of which type of offense they have so it's no issue for our defense.

However, this rule hurts all teams. I go back to what I said in the football rules thread. Remember the game against Missouri where we were down 17 and had to come back in the 4th to tie with 15 secs left? Do you think we win that game when 10 seconds are required to run off when we were trying to come back in that game? No. I'm pretty sure we would have lost at least 15 seconds at some point in the game and we don't get a chance to tie.

I haven't gone back to watch the replay of the Missouri game, but I can almost guarantee that during our comeback, that we never used less than the 10 seconds you are talking about to snap the ball. I would say it is a nonissue concerning the Missouri game.

uscjeremynca 02-21-2014 01:13 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott (Post 4093992)
I haven't gone back to watch the replay of the Missouri game, but I can almost guarantee that during our comeback, that we never used less than the 10 seconds you are talking about to snap the ball. I would say it is a nonissue concerning the Missouri game.

Yes but how many times did Missouri snap the ball with less than 10 seconds? You see, requiring them to run more time off the clock would have cost us. It's not just when we have the ball.

Gamecock Scott 02-21-2014 01:56 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
As i remember it, Missouri was not really getting to the line that quickly. I will go back and look at the replay.

uscjeremynca 02-21-2014 02:02 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecock Scott (Post 4094034)
As i remember it, Missouri was not really getting to the line that quickly. I will go back and look at the replay.

Even if the seconds don't add up exactly, you can see where a few seconds here or there can make a difference in a game that comes down to a last second FG. The point is that both teams are affected by this rule, regardless of which runs the up tempo offense.

Cock Kool-Aid 02-21-2014 02:28 PM

Re: Another Spurrier quote
 
FWIW, the combine analysis on Connor Shaw on NFL.com refers to our offense as a "gimmicky offense". I'm pretty sure most offenses have "gimmicks" of some sort. "Gimmick offense" is just a word that people like to throw around to belittle the teams who push the limits and progress the game of football. If it wasn't for "gimmicks", we would all still be running the Wing T and football would be really ****ing boring. These "gimmicks" are created by critical thinkers who want to obtain a strategic advantage in the game- they're the ones who keep the chess match that is a football game new and exciting for those of us who actually enjoy the mental aspect of the game as opposed to "let's just line up the big boys and let 'em smash together and whoever's stronger wins!". QUIT TALKING SHIT ABOUT GIMMICKS. Thank you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.