CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Gamecock Women Dunking (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204286)

Cockhornleghorn 02-21-2014 09:16 PM

Gamecock Women Dunking

I have never seen one of our players dunk, in the hundreds of games I've attended through the years. The only time I've seen an opposing player dunk in person was Michelle Snow for Tennessee when we played them in 2002. That said, which of our players do you guys think could dunk with an open path to the basket?

I'd say Alaina Coates and Aleighsa Welch. They are both very athletic. I know Aleighsa is only 6', but she is such an incredible athlete, I bet she could dunk. Can you imagine the crowd response at one of these last 2 games if we had somebody dunk?

Gamecocks1137 02-21-2014 09:30 PM

Re: Gamecock Women Dunking

Coates or Ibiam, they have the height for it thats for sure.

Latt7more 02-21-2014 10:19 PM

None of them.

simsar4 02-21-2014 11:08 PM

I'm friends with Welchs brother and he swears she can dunk.

Cockhornleghorn 02-21-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsar4 (Post 4094341)
I'm friends with Welchs brother and he swears she can dunk.

I'm sure she can; she's a great athlete. I'm sure Dawn would only let them dunk if it was a sure breakaway opportunity.

Luke Skycocker 02-21-2014 11:55 PM

Probably Welch if anyone, A'Ja Wilson probably can

gAmkok 02-22-2014 12:26 AM

Welch would be the only one I might place money on potentially being able to. She's as athletic as I've seen.

Next would be Coates but as tall and athletic as she is, she still doesn't have enough height to go straight up for a dunk. It'd have be a running leap off the dribble and I haven't seen anything that tells me she does that.

Next year I'll add Wilson to the list, hopefully.

roosterdude21 02-22-2014 01:45 AM

I'm sure she can, dunking a basketball isn't all that difficult

M.C. 02-22-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterdude21 (Post 4094400)
I'm sure she can, dunking a basketball isn't all that difficult

If your white it is

3MTA3 02-22-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4094415)
If your white it is

Hey look- a racist statement! Also, it's "you're"

scfastpitch 02-22-2014 09:30 AM

I would say probably none , or else some would be dunking in warmups . Women in general don't have the vertical leap that men do (although there are certainly plenty of women with a better vertical than me , lol ) . A 30 inch vertical is very good for a female . In volleyball , they measure how high you can touch . Ten feet is sort of a benchmark for women's volleyball (much like running a 4.4 forty in football) . The top teams usually have several players that can touch over ten feet . Obviously to dunk a basketball you have to be above ten feet considerably . If you can palm the ball , it will help .
For those that came to the Texas A&M game last year . A&M had a girl around 6-7 that was their third string center . I believe she is still a backup for them . She was last in line for their "bounce it off the backboard" drill and tried to slam it home . The ball bounced about 20 feet in the air . Although she missed the dunk I was impressed with how high she got up .
I just hope no star female player tears up an ACL trying to dunk . ACL injuries are much more frequent in females .

GamecockInHell 02-22-2014 01:21 PM

In addition to the vertical leap it also helps to have large hands with long fingers. I've seen lots of guys who can get up high enough to dunk but lose the ball because their hands can't get enough grip.

usc1 02-22-2014 01:25 PM

If anyone I would think Coates, but I doubt anyone on our team can. Aja Wilson has made it known she can't dunk.

Cockhornleghorn 02-22-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4094519)
If anyone I would think Coates, but I doubt anyone on our team can. Aja Wilson has made it known she can't dunk.

Did a reporter ask her?

Singaporecock 02-25-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamecockInHell (Post 4094511)
In addition to the vertical leap it also helps to have large hands with long fingers. I've seen lots of guys who can get up high enough to dunk but lose the ball because their hands can't get enough grip.

That's not true. You can throw it up, let it bounce, and kinda give yourself an alley oooop. I am only 5'8 with small hands but used to be able to dunk it when I was in my 20s.

ucan'tlickourcocks 02-25-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc1 (Post 4094519)
Aja Wilson has made it known she can't dunk.

This runs counter to reports I have heard...... that she can dunk, has done so, just not in a game situation......

Why would she say she can't dunk?

ucan'tlickourcocks 02-25-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singaporecock (Post 4096912)
That's not true. You can throw it up, let it bounce, and kinda give yourself an alley oooop. I am only 5'8 with small hands but used to be able to dunk it when I was in my 20s.

Yea..... but you had help! :lol:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...82/Flubber.jpg