CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Gold medalist Jamie Anderson's mom: I didn't push my kids 'to read and write' (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204299)

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-22-2014 12:48 PM

Gold medalist Jamie Anderson's mom: I didn't push my kids 'to read and write'

http://www.today.com/sochi/gold-meda...ids-2D12092209

Quote:

What does it take to raise an Olympian? In the case of Jamie Anderson, 23, the first woman to win gold in slopestyle snowboarding, her mom took an unconventional approach: there was no TV, no traditional schooling, and a focus on outdoor activities and following one’s spirit.

“I wanted them to be like children, playing outside, running and jumping and not sitting inside at a desk,” said Lauren Anderson, who raised the kids in South Lake Tahoe, Calif. “They got to be free, building their bodies, protecting their spirits and minds, and not being pushed or pressured.”

Lauren home-schooled her eight kids while running a lawn-mowing business on the side. But the emphasis wasn’t on academics.

catdaddy66 02-22-2014 02:52 PM

Re: Gold medalist Jamie Anderson's mom: I didn't push my kids 'to read and write'

Ummm... what?

Thenardier 02-22-2014 03:09 PM

Re: Gold medalist Jamie Anderson's mom: I didn't push my kids 'to read and write'

Hippy dippy stuff

JAYBEZ 02-22-2014 11:45 PM

Well, she has 8 x-games medals, some euro tour wins, an Olympic medal, and gets paid to do something I have to fork over a load of cash for.

Not saying i would teach my kid that way, but she seems to be doing alright for herself.

ktguen 02-23-2014 01:20 AM

Yeaaah, she's gonna be fine either way.

usc90grad 02-23-2014 09:04 AM

She'll be in Playboy in a few years.

2000grad 02-23-2014 09:28 AM

http://www.rif.org/static/images/RIF...y_Vertical.png

Unless you are a gold medalist

JAYBEZ 02-23-2014 10:03 AM

Plus, this isn't anything new. CJ Spiller can't read and he is playing in the NFL.

rolinb1 02-23-2014 10:41 AM

what are the other 7 kids doing now?

catdaddy66 02-23-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolinb1 (Post 4095005)
what are the other 7 kids doing now?

Yeah, a world or Olympic champion can pay the bills. But, I believe education is not just for employment purposes. Remember not all things in life come down to money. Education makes people contributing citizens in society. That's social, political, etc.

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-23-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdaddy66 (Post 4095074)
Yeah, a world or Olympic champion can pay the bills. But, I believe education is not just for employment purposes. Remember not all things in life come down to money. Education makes people contributing citizens in society. That's social, political, etc.

This, what happens if her career ends, let's face it she isn't going to be getting high level endorsement deals she isn't a Danica Patrick, Michelle Wie, Maria Sharapova level athlete. This is the problem with America they are athletes they don't have to be intelligent just as long as they can play a sport they will be alright. Gen X parents who want to be friends with their kids rather than be parents, no wonder society is the way it is in this country. Just because it is a trend among athletes in America doesn't it make it right much less defendable or acceptable.

ktguen 02-23-2014 07:29 PM

The blanket statement from her mom that "reading and writing" wasn't the focus of their schooling doesn't necessarily mean she's stupid or illiterate. We don't really have a way of knowing how smart she is. I've heard her speak in interviews and she doesn't sound any different than anyone else with a traditional schooling background.

Spurrier_Superior_One 02-23-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktguen (Post 4095449)
The blanket statement from her mom that "reading and writing" wasn't the focus of their schooling doesn't necessarily mean she's stupid or illiterate. We don't really have a way of knowing how smart she is. I've heard her speak in interviews and she doesn't sound any different than anyone else with a traditional schooling background.

They may have learned to read and write but I am willing to bet they did not have a well rounded education, probably their education level is what most FBS college football players have. You can coach them to be able to speak, you teach a gorilla to do sign language too...