CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Curtaining off the upper decks at Colonial Lifeless Arena? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204381)

ipull4usc 02-25-2014 04:02 PM

Curtaining off the upper decks at Colonial Lifeless Arena?

Anyone else think we should curtain off the upper decks of Colonial Lifeless Arena? According to David Cloninger's tweets, Frank Martin expressed in his presser today that the arena is just too big and is not a good basketball atmosphere. I agree.

The CLA is way too big. We play in the 17th biggest college basketball arena in the country:

Biggest College Basketball Arenas
1. Syracuse (plays in Carrier Dome, a multi-sport facility)
2. Kentucky
3. UNC Greensboro (play in the former Carolina Hurricanes arena and site of the ACC tourney)
4. Louisville
5. North Carolina
6. Tennessee
7. BYU
8. Georgetown (plays in Washington Wizards arena)
9. St. John's (plays in Madison Square Garden)
10. NC State
11. Arkansas
12. Ohio State
13. UNLV
14. Marquette (plays in Milwaukee Bucks arena)
15. Seton Hall (plays in former home of New Jersey Nets)
16. Memphis (plays in Memphis Grizzlies arena)
17. South Carolina

As you can see, many of the teams with arenas bigger than ours actually just share an arena with a current or former professional sports franchise. If you take out the teams that are simply playing in a pro team's arena, we play in the 11th biggest college basketball arena in the country (including the Carrier Dome)!! That's absurd! We aren't even the 11th best program in our own conference. Look at the other names on that list and we are glaringly out of place. That list is full of NCAA Champions and college basketball blueboods.

We have had the absolute worst basketball program in the conference by every quantifiable metric since we joined in 1992. We haven't won an NCAA Tournament game since the Nixon administration. We are undoubtedly one of the worst high-major basketball programs in America. There is ZERO evidence that South Carolina can enjoy prolonged success meriting high attendance.

Building an 18,000 seat arena for one of the worst basketball programs in America doesn't make sense. Instead, we should have improved Frank McGuire arena, it was a perfect size at a bit more than 12,000 and it was a great basketball facility with character. I know the City of Columbia felt it needed a large arena to attract concerts, but Colonial Lifeless Arena is way too big for our basketball program and the building has no character.

Since we are stuck playing in Colonial Lifeless, I would support curtaining off the upper decks. On rare occasion we could raise the curtains if attendance is going to be high enough, maybe every few years when we play Kentucky at home.

bgallup 02-25-2014 04:12 PM

Re: Curtaining off the upper decks at Colonial Lifeless Arena?

WIN GAMES and you will see its not to big! if we can put 8k plus in a baseball game over the weekend, we can put 14k plus into a basketball game. Have to win first!!

ipull4usc 02-25-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgallup (Post 4096748)
WIN GAMES and you will see its not to big! if we can put 8k plus in a baseball game over the weekend, we can put 14k plus into a basketball game. Have to win first!!

It's been a decade since we made the NCAA Tourney. In the past 16 seasons we have 1 season with an SEC record above .500! ONE!

Maybe we can fill the arena ONE DAY when we improve. However, judging by our track record, that day could be a LONG time coming.

Would you be in favor of curtaining off the upper decks until we improve and attendance improves (if and whenever that might be)???

I strongly believe it would create a better basketball atmosphere.

mater 02-25-2014 04:31 PM

I tend to agree. There are alot people complaining about the venue. Simple, with a better product, seating wont be an issue. Plus, the CLA was also intended for concerts and events.

GamecockUltimate 02-25-2014 04:32 PM

Just move games back to the frank for a while, id live to watch some there, but with the vendors at the CLA it wouldnt work out.

Cockypantherfan 02-25-2014 05:00 PM

I attended games in college (between 2007-2011) where te arena was packed or all but packed. The year we upset Kentucky, 2008 I believe, the place was packed.

I get what you're saying though.. But there will always be outliers.

ipull4usc 02-25-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4096783)
I attended games in college (between 2007-2011) where te arena was packed or all but packed. The year we upset Kentucky, 2008 I believe, the place was packed.

I get what you're saying though.. But there will always be outliers.

As far back as I can find Colonial Lifeless Arena attendance records, the highest % capacity we've had for a season was 73% capacity right around when we opened the new arena.

We had 61% capacity the year we made the NCAA Tournament in 2004. We averaged 7108 EMPTY SEATS every game in a year we made the Big Dance.

During the time period you cited, 2007-2011, we never averaged more than 68% capacity. And that was with vastly inflated attendance figures. Having attended every home game during that period, I can remember how laughable our inflated attendance numbers were.

Even with those vastly inflated numbers, we only "averaged" 8293 fans at last year's games, for 46% capacity.

We are currently "averaging" 52% capacity this season.

I write "average" in quotation marks because for the better part of the last decade we have been fudging attendance numbers by an absurd margin to make our numbers significantly higher. We actually have much less butts in the seats.

We have had a rare game here or there where the arena was decently full. These games, however, are few and far between.

Bottom line: we need to put curtains up. If we have a rare game where ticket sales are abnormally high, we can raise the curtains.

markp_vip 02-25-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgallup (Post 4096748)

Exactly, we kept it pretty close to full while I was in school and we only made one Tourney then, but we were competitive. We don't have to be world beaters to fill the CLA, but we gotta do better than we are doing now.

TwoNotch Dreams 02-25-2014 05:47 PM

The only time I've seen CLA completely packed was the Kentucky game in 2010. I would guess that every Kentucky game is our highest attended game since Wildcat fans are great at travelling and it's our only chance to see elite NBA prospects before they declare.

I agree though that the Coliseum holds noise better since everything is on top of you and compacted. CLA is still a nice venue though. They just need to get fans to come out consistently and make it a unique environment.

Luke Skycocker 02-25-2014 05:49 PM

What the hell are curtains going to accomplish besides looking like absolute crap? Win games and the place will slowly fill up.

ipull4usc 02-25-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4096817)
What the hell are curtains going to accomplish besides looking like absolute crap? Win games and the place will slowly fill up.

Curtains have been used by plenty of schools, including Michigan State and Tennessee, to create a more intimate atmosphere within the arena. They eliminate the cavernous feel and empty space. Additionally, they don't look like "absolute crap."

A lot of basketball tournaments use curtains to considerably improve the atmosphere.

Until we start winning games with regularity, which most agree will take years, why not use curtains to create a better atmosphere?

Carolina4Life 02-25-2014 06:28 PM

Yea, I hear what you're saying but hell no.

baitandswitch 02-25-2014 06:28 PM

http://www.nickersonarenacurtains.co...B_8inch_fs.jpg

It would look like this or possibly even cheaper looking.

baitandswitch 02-25-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4096817)

I agree. It looks like complete crap.

M.C. 02-25-2014 06:32 PM

Martin has other things he needs to worry about.. like actually winning

rosstheboss 02-25-2014 07:03 PM

Like everyone else said, frank is the last person that should complain about venue size(which i'm sure he really was meaning fan turnout) He already coaches a "boring" style of offense that is supposed to rely off of fierce defense to keep the score low and win. Even with that, fans will come if we are winning games. Heck, all we had to do was let Spurrier talk at halftime and the place was pretty dang crowded. We have enough interest, and enough fans, but we don't have a good enough product on the court. Can't expect most people to justify buying season tickets, making the drive, and/or scalping tickets just to watch us lose twice a week. Look at women's basketball for example. They were giving tickets away 3-4 years ago and now it's not packed, but it's getting full in the lower bowl consistently, it's loud, and has become one of the hardest places to win in the country. You think Dawn thinks our arena is too big still? We just had 10,000+ for a women's game and we weren't playing a very good team! If our men can get a little above .500 in sec play or even sniff the tourney consistently the fans will be back and the place can get loud with just 10,000 fans much less closer to 18k if we ever get good again. Imagine the fan turnout if we had a good men's team to compliment our elite women's team...

Luke Skycocker 02-25-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipull4usc (Post 4096825)
A lot of basketball tournaments use curtains to considerably improve the atmosphere.

Yea, when they're in the damn Superdome or some other non-basketball venue.
Quote:

Until we start winning games with regularity, which most agree will take years, why not use curtains to create a better atmosphere?
Because it will do NOTHING to help the atmosphere. It will look preposterous and accomplish nothing.

Rebel4ever 02-25-2014 07:35 PM

We need to start playing some games in the Coliseum again.

baitandswitch 02-25-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.C. (Post 4096858)
Martin has other things he needs to worry about.. like actually winning

This is a shortsighted response. Obviously Frank Martin is worried about recruiting and and potential recruits that visit for games or tune into tv that see the stadium empty aren't going to be excited to see the stadium half empty. Frank is concerned with winning, and for you to insinuate that he isn't is just plain wrong.

I still think we should play in McGuire Coliseum, but that's never gonna happen so if hanging curtains and getting people to fill the bottom parts of the arena is what we have to do until we get some more fans in the arena, then I'm ok with it. That said, I do think it's ugly.

Cockhornleghorn 02-25-2014 07:46 PM

Absolutely not. Once we have a decent program, the CLAW will not be big enough. In 2004, the last time we had a tournament team, we averaged over 17,000 per game for SEC games.