CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   iCocky (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Microsoft greed. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204385)

kingoftheroost 02-25-2014 05:50 PM

Microsoft greed.

First off, let me say I don't use apple products, so please don't think I'm a fanboy. Anyway, I've seen how a lot of people type Microsoft's name as Micro$oft, and I've never really understood. That is, until today.

A new video game was released today that my son has been counting down the days until he could get it. Well, I went and got it for him today and he was super excited to play it (he's 8, btw). Sadly, I didn't notice until just a few minutes ago that in order to play the game, an Xbox Live gold membership is required, which we don't have. How can a company be so greedy that they require you to buy something in addition to the actual game that has nothing to do with the gameplay before you can enjoy the game you own? It would be different if this had been a Kinect game or something that requires certain hardware, but this really chaps my hide. They should be ashamed of themselves.

taylorssc 02-25-2014 06:02 PM

Re: Microsoft greed.

You should be able to play single player "Story Mode" without a Xbox Live acct. An acct is only needed to use apps, play multiplayer, and download games... I think.

Should you decide to get an acct, the link below will save you $20 on a 12 month membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3fJdg0_0_0_0_0

kingoftheroost 02-25-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorssc (Post 4096826)
You should be able to play single player "Story Mode" without a Xbox Live acct.

Should you decide to get an acct, the link below will save you $20 on a 12 month membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3fJdg0_0_0_0_0

You would think so, but nothing on it works without the account. So I signed up for the free account thinking that would be sufficient, but nope. It says the account doesn't have the proper permissions. It was then my little boy noticed on the game case it says, "Xbox Live Gold membership required."

But thank you for the link. Points to you.

johnnyb 02-25-2014 06:17 PM

what game is it?

rioninusc 02-25-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb (Post 4096841)
what game is it?

It's either Thief, or Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. I'll go with the later, and I can't believe it would be online required to play singleplayer.

By the way you should point your finger at the developer that they required you to have a Gold membership. Edited didn't know all the details of the situation.

kingoftheroost 02-25-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4096848)
It's either Thief, or Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. I'll go with the later, and I can't believe it would be online required to play singleplayer.

By the way you should point your finger at the developer that they required you to have a Gold membership. I agree I think customers should have the option to use their own system as a server, or pay for a premium server. Now if this is a trend of future Xbox 1 titles, then yes start packing up, and get a PS4. If Sony also does it, then man Just get a PC and say bump it, at least you only have to pay money monthly if it's an MMO.

It is Garden Warfare. His version is for the 360, but only because it's a MS exclusive game. I would've liked to have gotten it for his PS4 instead.

rioninusc 02-25-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4096893)
It is Garden Warfare. His version is for the 360, but only because it's a MS exclusive game. I would've liked to have gotten it for his PS4 instead.

It's coming out later for the PC, so no fee's there for ya.

diehardgamecock 02-25-2014 08:52 PM

Companies that try to make money make me so angry. Stupid capitalism.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Spur's Addiction 02-25-2014 09:03 PM

If anything it should clreay indicate this prior to you buying the game.

Kind of lame overall I agree.

diehardgamecock 02-25-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4096944)
If anything it should clreay indicate this prior to you buying the game.

Kind of lame overall I agree.

It's a multiplayer only game. It says it clearly on gamestop's website...I would imagine it says so on the back of the box.

bravecock524 02-25-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardgamecock (Post 4096951)
It's a multiplayer only game. It says it clearly on gamestop's website...I would imagine it says so on the back of the box.

I agree, its not Microsoft's fault he didn't read what the requirements were before he bought it.

jellafever 02-25-2014 11:06 PM

so you bought him an Xbox 360 and a PS4, and you're complaining about an xbox live membership?

rioninusc 02-25-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardgamecock (Post 4096933)
Companies that try to make money make me so angry. Stupid capitalism.

Microsoft especially.:lol:

"It's a multiplayer only game. It says it clearly on gamestop's website...I would imagine it says so on the back of the box.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2 "

Thanks for clarifying that. PS4 will probably be the same story. PC is the only version that he could get that wouldn't have to pay for a Gold/+ account, It's coming out in the Spring 2014 for PC.

sandstorm2001 02-25-2014 11:41 PM

He got super excited about a game he didn't even read enough about to know it was multiplayer only? And this is Microsoft's fault?

ucan'tlickourcocks 02-25-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 (Post 4097060)
He got super excited about a game he didn't even read enough about to know it was multiplayer only? And this is Microsoft's fault?

The kid is only 8...... cut him some slack! He is only reading on a 3rd grade level! :lol:

kingoftheroost 02-26-2014 12:53 AM

Actually, for those of you who are having a hard time understanding, I'll explain it for you. My son has the original game Plants vs Zombies, and I know it is quite appropriate for his age, so when he saw this was coming out, he didn't read anything about it BECAUSE HE'S A KID. And since I knew about the first game and how it worked, I had no reason to think this game would be set up any differently.

But feel free to go back to being judgmental asses about a kid's disappointment.

As for me buying him 360 and a PS4, he definitely did not get them at the same time. He's had the 360 for quite a while, and even then it was a hand-me-down system. But I at least understand your point, and I know you didn't know he had one system for a long time.

Order 66 02-26-2014 12:55 AM

Who has an Xbox without Xbox live? That's 75% of the fun.

Order 66 02-26-2014 12:57 AM

Nm

bravecock524 02-26-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4097089)
Actually, for those of you who are having a hard time understanding, I'll explain it for you. My son has the original game Plants vs Zombies, and I know it is quite appropriate for his age, so when he saw this was coming out, he didn't read anything about it BECAUSE HE'S A KID. And since I knew about the first game and how it worked, I had no reason to think this game would be set up any differently.

But feel free to go back to being judgmental asses about a kid's disappointment.

As for me buying him 360 and a PS4, he definitely did not get them at the same time. He's had the 360 for quite a while, and even then it was a hand-me-down system. But I at least understand your point, and I know you didn't know he had one system for a long time.

It is too bad he is disappointed but that doesn't mean it is Microsoft's fault that you didn't read what it said on the front of the game before you bought it. You could always try to return it to Wal-Mart if you don't want to get the Gold subscription.

Order 66 02-26-2014 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoftheroost (Post 4096893)
It is Garden Warfare. His version is for the 360, but only because it's a MSE usive game. I would've liked to have gis tten it for his PS4 instead.

He has a ps4 and has been waiting months for plants vs zombies? PS4 needs to get some good exclusive games desperately if this is the case. Online only games have existed for a while, like that garbage PS exclusive game MAG from back in the day. I dropped coin on that steamer.