CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Bandwagon Fans (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204390)

Carolina4Life 02-25-2014 09:39 PM

Bandwagon Fans

Bandwagon fans, I would like to say that once Frank Martin turns our program around, please do not bother coming to games. It's going to take Frank just as much time as it did Spurrier to make us top competitors in the SEC. Maybe not even that long but he will get it done. Support the program now! It really needs it. Go Cocks!

gAmkok 02-25-2014 09:54 PM

Re: Bandwagon Fans

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4096975)
Bandwagon fans, I would like to say that once Frank Martin turns our program around, please do not bother coming to games. It's going to take Frank just as much time as it did Spurrier to make us top competitors in the SEC. Maybe not even that long but he will get it done. Support the program now! It really needs it. Go Cocks!

On one level, I agree with your sentiment. The fair weather fans, especially the ones who show up and act like they've been there all along, can be annoying.

But on another level, I believe the Gamecock basketball fan base has been so eroded over the years by poor teams, unpopular coaches (and some flat-out bad ones), and a general lack of commitment to the sport by the Ath Dept (historically speaking), that there aren't many die hards left. In order to build back a once robust following, we'll need to welcome the bandwagon fans and hope some of them stick around if times get lean again.

My opinion though. Take it for what it's worth.

roosterdude21 02-26-2014 01:50 AM

I feel bad for Frank Martin, Horn really set the program back

ReadR00ster 02-26-2014 01:57 AM

Yeah, we like the arena empty. By your definition just about all our fans are bandwagon fans. They show up for football, they show up baseball, they are showing up for women's basketball now. Why aren't they showing up for men's basketball? These are the South Carolina fans, if that bothers you... oh well. You DO want them back because there is no one else, so it's wise to insult them.

spareparts 02-26-2014 01:59 AM

Telling "bandwagon fans" not to follow our basketball team is sorta wild... at this point we should take all the fans we can get

MisterClowney 02-26-2014 02:00 AM

If Martin turns it around, it will take less time than it took Spurrier. Basketball can change on one recruit (plus a big man with some true ability.) IMO that recruit is a freshman on our team right now in Thornwell. If he progresses like he should, and I do believe him and Martin are completely on the same page, we should be better next year and a solid team by his junior season.

I was there on Saturday, and even though we went as cold as you can possibly go, you could still see that we're doing MUCH more than we did under Horn. Couple that with the fact that one of our point guards is out for the season with an injury and the other was in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine, and you can tell that things are pointed in the right direction. Even though our record and some results might not speak it at the moment.

ReadR00ster 02-26-2014 02:05 AM

It doesn't matter what schools you go to, fans disappear when their team is terrible. That is just a fact of life.

jellafever 02-26-2014 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4097124)
Telling "bandwagon fans" not to follow our basketball team is sorta wild... at this point we should take all the fans we can get

Can't we force some juvenile miscreants to put on a garnet shirt and cheer for our team in exchange for some community service time served???

Why do you think prison colors are orange? Clemson figured this out long ago.

Spur's Addiction 02-26-2014 07:54 AM

If there are no bandwagon fans the CLA will never get filled up.Another thread complains that it's too empty. This tells bandwagoners not to show up.

LOL at this thread.

scargamecocks87 02-26-2014 09:38 AM

Yes let's be a top 15 program with the crowd we have now. If you aren't going to games now definitely don't come when we are winning. Then we can have a thread about our basketball team finally becoming elite and we still can't get a packed house.

RoosterBooster 02-26-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolina4Life (Post 4096975)

So you don't want people to show up when the team is winning either. I guess you disagree with Dawn Staley's push to fill the arena for the girls since there were probably a few thousand there Sunday that have probably never been to a Women's Basketball game. What about baseball, should we kick out everybody who we don't remember from the Sarge?

jrussjr 02-26-2014 10:58 AM

I guess I am a "bandwagoner"; however, I have multiple things demanding my time as I am sure many others have so if I am going to take in games of any sort, my return on investment needs to be somewhat "profitable". Nonetheless, here is a link to an article that I read a couple years ago that sums up my frustration with USC men's basketball.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...012-a-timeline

FWIW, I feel that Frank Martin will get this turned around. Nonetheless, I still wish we got Gregg in here, not sure why that didn't happen!!!

paynemd2 02-26-2014 11:06 AM

I'll be honest I haven't gone to a basketball game in a couple of years. I think I have more of a problem with the college basketball system than anything else. The regular season just doesnt matter at all. All 14 teams automatically play in the SEC tournament and whoever wins gets an automatic berth to the dance. I know its obviously HIGHLY unlikely we win the tourney, but the fact is we are still alive to make the dance when we shouldn't be. That fact alone just devalues the whole season to me. I dont watch any college basketball until March. That's one reason why I love college football so much (every game matters so much). If football had a 64/68 team playoff I probably wouldn't watch every single game and losses wouldnt mean as much.

snruter amabon 02-26-2014 11:17 AM

I bet if you asked Ray Tanner what he thinks about bandwagon fans he would tell you he loves them. They pay the bills & fill the stadiums. I bet if you asked Dawn Staley about bandwagon fans she would agree.

markp_vip 02-26-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paynemd2 (Post 4097266)
I'll be honest I haven't gone to a basketball game in a couple of years. I think I have more of a problem with the college basketball system than anything else. The regular season just doesnt matter at all. All 14 teams automatically play in the SEC tournament and whoever wins gets an automatic berth to the dance. I know its obviously HIGHLY unlikely we win the tourney, but the fact is we are still alive to make the dance when we shouldn't be. That fact alone just devalues the whole season to me. I dont watch any college basketball until March. That's one reason why I love college football so much (every game matters so much). If football had a 64/68 team playoff I probably wouldn't watch every single game and losses wouldnt mean as much.

Yep, even more so when you talk about pro-sports other than football. You can skip the entire regular season and 3/4 of the post season. With the NBA you really only need to tune in for the last 5 minutes of the post season elimination games. You can throw at games 1-3 right out of the gate.

tigertime86 02-26-2014 11:40 AM

Clemson used to have a problem with attendance when we were bad at basketball. Now we have a packed house every game and one of the most intimidating environments in college basketball. It's hard to tell who the fair weather fans were now

ipull4usc 02-26-2014 11:46 AM

I'm pretty sure most folks posting on this message board about our basketball team don't qualify as bandwagon fans. Most of my family and friends gave up on our basketball team long ago, and they don't have the slightest inclination to post about the team online.

I also find it ridiculous when certain people insist they are better fans than others because they are positive about the team. We are the worst basketball program in the SEC and one of the worst in the country. We all have our own coping mechanisms with how awful the program is. Some are positive. Some are negative. I'm not going to pretend that one person's coping mechanism is better than another's. I won't blame anyone for being negative or paying less attention. Who can blame them? We're all just trying to cope with one of the most under-achieving, disappointing, and flat-out-bad basketball programs in America.

M.C. 02-26-2014 11:57 AM

Football has a lot of bandwagon fans .. Basketball has been bad for so long we need all the fans we can get

snruter amabon 02-26-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipull4usc (Post 4097293)
I'm pretty sure most folks posting on this message board about our basketball team don't qualify as bandwagon fans. Most of my family and friends gave up on our basketball team long ago, and they don't have the slightest inclination to post about the team online.

I also find it ridiculous when certain people insist they are better fans than others because they are positive about the team. We are the worst basketball program in the SEC and one of the worst in the country. We all have our own coping mechanisms with how awful the program is. Some are positive. Some are negative. I'm not going to pretend that one person's coping mechanism is better than another's. I won't blame anyone for being negative or paying less attention. Who can blame them? We're all just trying to cope with one of the most under-achieving, disappointing, and flat-out-bad basketball programs in America.

A. I agree with you
B. Lou Holtz took over a similar football team not all that long ago & between him & Spurrier (mainly Spurrier) we have achieved great things
C. Dawn Staley was in a similar position.

It takes some time, but I think Frank Martin will eventually get it done.

ReadR00ster 02-26-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paynemd2 (Post 4097266)

No way. I turn on ESPN every Saturday there is always a game with loud fan bases going nuts. They're excited about their team because they are competitive and it probably the best sport those teams have. You can't expect to have that atmosphere just because you want it to be like that at ever game. Let's see how good that Kansas and Illinois and Maryland football crowd is compared to ours.