CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke? (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204408)

Harry Tuttle 02-26-2014 04:00 PM

Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/1647

To say when Lawing left he had to push himself seems to be a major statement on Deke's mentality.

BlueHerons 02-26-2014 04:02 PM

Re: Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle (Post 4097539)
http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/1647

To say when Lawing left he had to push himself seems to be a major statement on Deke's mentality.

Why? I think Deke and Lawing were two different kinds of coaches. I always thought of as Lawing as being a hard ass. Not so Deke.

Different coaches get results in different ways.

USCfootball 02-26-2014 04:18 PM

IDK......I don't put the blame on the coaches. I'm sure they tried pushing him but the guy was in it for himself.

Could you imagine a Clowney with Lattimore work ethic? Could have maybe been the best defensive collegiate player of all time....Charles Woodson category at least.

His legacy will always be lacking in my opinion. People will always remember "The Play". Truth is....I think Gilmore, Melvin, Norwood did more. That falls on Clowney....not the coaches.

Harry Tuttle 02-26-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHerons (Post 4097543)
Why? I think Deke and Lawing were two different kinds of coaches. I always thought of as Lawing as being a hard ass. Not so Deke.

Different coaches get results in different ways.

Maybe he needs a hardass. If he goes to Houston something tells me Watt will be a whole new kinda hardass.

ScottK 02-26-2014 04:34 PM

Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCfootball (Post 4097566)
IDK......I don't put the blame on the coaches. I'm sure they tried pushing him but the guy was in it for himself.

That doesn't make sense. So he was "in it for himself?"

Was he "in it for himself" in 2012 when he had a great year? Was he "in it for himself" in 2013 when he didn't perform as well? Because it appears that when Lawing "tried pushing him" it worked.

I don't get what you're saying. They're appears to have been a difference between 2012 and 2013, and according to his comments it may have been due to coaching style.

Some people are self-motivators and self-starters, some are not.

Flameout12 02-26-2014 04:45 PM

Lawing was a better coach for Jadeveon.

Jadeveon needs to be pushed...so whoever drafts him, find him a coach who will push him....maybe go hire Brad Lawing...might be worth it.

2000grad 02-26-2014 04:51 PM

he coached him the first 2 years

LegalCock 02-26-2014 04:52 PM

Lawing was a big loss and they did about as good a job as they could filling that slot given who was out there.

trapper82 02-26-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Nearly 20 years later, Adams gets a chance to not only work alongside Spurrier, but coach a guy, Clowney, who could go down as one of the best college defensive players of the past two decades.

“I haven’t really studied him or anything like that,” Adams said. “I’ve watched him when I had a chance to see him on TV. He’s probably the most dominant defensive linemen in the country right now. My goal is to definitely get in there and coach him up, but at the same time not mess him up. I’m excited to have a chance to coach him.”
http://blog.postandcourier.com/spur-...eveon-clowney/

Personally I think Deke took too much of a "hands off" approach.

USCfootball 02-26-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottK (Post 4097586)
That doesn't make sense. So he was "in it for himself?"

Was he "in it for himself" in 2012 when he had a great year? Was he "in it for himself" in 2013 when he didn't perform as well? Because it appears that when Lawing "tried pushing him" it worked.

I don't get what you're saying. They're appears to have been a difference between 2012 and 2013, and according to his comments it may have been due to coaching style.

Some people are self-motivators and self-starters, some are not.

His bread was already buttered in 2013 - exactly my point! Lot's of good players get schemed against. It was up to him to get coached and perform....lot's of times he didn't or didn't care too. He was great player.....my point was he could have been a lot better.

Cockholio 02-26-2014 05:11 PM

No way to sugarcoat what was said, and what was not said. Direct statement of Clowney's opinion. No doubt that sent a wave of emotion over at least one of our coaches currently on staff, and one of our former coaches.

6pack 02-26-2014 05:19 PM

Threads like this make me wish ESPN hadn't made a big deal about the hit. All this media bullshit could have been avoided. He could have had a good last season without a million different people jumping down his throat for having his hands on his hip, which I've seen numerous college and NFL players do. Publicity like this means you're damned if you do something, damned if you don't. All I have to say is I'm proud he played for our team and he'll only get better once he reaches the pros.

CockTail 02-26-2014 05:50 PM

I love JC and think he has done wonders for our program. I am a Jags fan and hope he falls to us. I wish Spurrier had been more clear when asked about his work ethic.

That being said, essentially blaming your coaches for not pushing you is a really poor excuse and may be harder to defend than his on field play last year. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish. He says he pushed himself after Lawing left, but his play said otherwise. IMHO he should have simply said he took last year off and is now ready to work that he is entering the NFL. I understand he is getting lots of questions about his effort and work ethic, but passing blame is not the answer. Makes him look bad.

He is telling teams unless you have a coach who pushes me, I am not disciplined enough to get after it by my self.

crowcutta 02-26-2014 06:13 PM

i dont think he was making excuses or that he mailed it in last year. maybe hes being truly genuine that lawing was the guy he really wanted to thank and it makes sense considering he spent two years under him and was recruited by him. the other way of looking at it is he's saying hes coachable and if you try to push him he will respond.

of course it doesnt look great for deke, but it is what it is. kelcey went from a solid starter to all sec under deke.

USCfootball 02-26-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CockTail (Post 4097648)
I love JC and think he has done wonders for our program. I am a Jags fan and hope he falls to us. I wish Spurrier had been more clear when asked about his work ethic.

That being said, essentially blaming your coaches for not pushing you is a really poor excuse and may be harder to defend than his on field play last year. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish. He says he pushed himself after Lawing left, but his play said otherwise. IMHO he should have simply said he took last year off and is now ready to work that he is entering the NFL. I understand he is getting lots of questions about his effort and work ethic, but passing blame is not the answer. Makes him look bad.

He is telling teams unless you have a coach who pushes me, I am not disciplined enough to get after it by my self.

Well spoken my friend. Couldn't agree with you more.

ReadR00ster 02-26-2014 07:06 PM

He got ridden hard by Lawing his freshman year because he was a freshman! Lawing does that to freshman. Didn't he almost make Surratt quit? It's not an indictment on Deke or saying that he does not push his players hard he just doesn't act like mad man like Lawing does some times. Y'all think too much and I think it is really causing you to confuse yourselves. I love how you think that Clowney mentions Lawing being a tough coach, you all automatically think Deke is just a little happy go lucky teddy bear with his players.

Carolina4Life 02-26-2014 07:43 PM

You guys will see sooner than later who Deke is.

qcgamecock 02-26-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCfootball (Post 4097619)
His bread was already buttered in 2013 - exactly my point! Lot's of good players get schemed against. It was up to him to get coached and perform....lot's of times he didn't or didn't care too. He was great player.....my point was he could have been a lot better.

He could have been a lot better, really, so he played 2 1/2 games less then most of the team but finished 8th in tackles at DE, led the team in QB hurries by a long shot..... He could have been a lot better, You could say that about anyone but to say that about player who played 3 years of college football, the best 3 years of football in the history of our program and was a factor in every game h played is just insane in my opinion! How good could the rest of the team have been, how good could he have been? What could he have done to reach his potential that you think/know he didn't do? How good will do you think he will be in the NFL?
No matter what your answers are I can tell you he lived up to my expectations and beyond when he signed the dotted line to be a GAMECOCK!

GamecockUltimate 02-26-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCfootball (Post 4097566)

Could you imagine a Clowney with Lattimore work ethic? Could have maybe been the best defensive collegiate player of all time....Charles Woodson category at least.

His legacy will always be lacking in my opinion. People will always remember "The Play". Truth is....I think Gilmore, Melvin, Norwood did more. That falls on Clowney....not the coaches.

Disagree, he disrupted offenses like none other

Barry_gamecock 02-26-2014 08:17 PM

Coach Ward could have tried to get him in open space a little more as well. For all the talk of having him coming from different directions all I ever really saw was the occasional switch to the other D-End spot and a few middle rushes.