CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The "N word" ...... (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204416)

USCfootball 02-26-2014 07:15 PM

The "N word" ......
 
All the talk about the NFL penalizing and now Chris Bosh says,

"If that's the case, they should ban all slurs. And I know it's a big deal, because I think that word is used too much, especially in the mainstream nowadays"

Let me say this. I'm mid 30-s, white, work in corporate America, and I NEVER. EVER. hear that word in my employment. I'm no saint and like to hear the occaisional dirty joke on the golf course like everyone else, but I can't even tell you the last time someone is my circle of friends has even said that word. The players unions should definately.....ban the use of the harrassing and derogatory term. If I could ever afford coursite seats to a game and take my boys.....the last thing I want them hearing is that word being tossed around. The NFL and NBA are no different than any other corporate job IMO.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...-use-all-slurs

ccured 02-26-2014 07:41 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
I think it is a horrible idea. How can you be positive who said it in a pile up situation. How are you gonna call the penalty. Are you gonna say Player X 15 yards unsportsmanlike language. Now you have labelled Player X a racist.

Also it would be majorly hypocritical of the NFL.Don't see how you can have a racial slur in Redskins but call a penalty for the Nword. The NFL hides behind two surveys say Native Americans don't find the term a slur. Well you are penalizing a word that the majority of players don't find a slur.

taylorssc 02-26-2014 07:46 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 

RGHoskins 02-26-2014 07:46 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by USCfootball (Post 4097690)
All the talk about the NFL penalizing and now Chris Bosh says,

"If that's the case, they should ban all slurs. And I know it's a big deal, because I think that word is used too much, especially in the mainstream nowadays"

Let me say this. I'm mid 30-s, white, work in corporate America, and I NEVER. EVER. hear that word in my employment. I'm no saint and like to hear the occaisional dirty joke on the golf course like everyone else, but I can't even tell you the last time someone is my circle of friends has even said that word. The players unions should definately.....ban the use of the harrassing and derogatory term. If I could ever afford coursite seats to a game and take my boys.....the last thing I want them hearing is that word being tossed around. The NFL and NBA are no different than any other corporate job IMO.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...-use-all-slurs

Yeah. That isn't because it's banned.

Cockypantherfan 02-26-2014 07:55 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Doesn't banning certain words go against the constitutional right of freedom of speech? Isn't that what our country was founded on?

Not saying the N word should be said, but penalizing someone for it? That's dumb.

ccured 02-26-2014 08:02 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4097716)
Doesn't banning certain words go against the constitutional right of freedom of speech? Isn't that what our country was founded on?

Not saying the N word should be said, but penalizing someone for it? That's dumb.

that is not what freedom of speech is.

Cockypantherfan 02-26-2014 08:09 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4097721)
that is not what freedom of speech is.

But the premise is kind of the same. What if swear words bother other people? Are thy going to flag anyone who says "shit, ****, damn, etc." too?

2000grad 02-26-2014 08:29 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
I think we can all agree that using the n word is ignorant, but so is banning words

GamecockMomSC 02-26-2014 08:37 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4097716)
Doesn't banning certain words go against the constitutional right of freedom of speech? Isn't that what our country was founded on?

Not saying the N word should be said, but penalizing someone for it? That's dumb.


Your constitutional right to free speech means the government can't control what you say. Your employer can.

Acockolypse Now 02-26-2014 08:51 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...p1101watjj.jpg

http://dayandadream.com/wp-content/u...s-reaction.jpg

GH 02-26-2014 09:16 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
We should just say "thug" instead

usc90grad 02-26-2014 10:09 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
I bet when it's used in an NFL game, it's a black player saying it to another black player. If a white guy said it, we'd see fights on the field.

RGHoskins 02-26-2014 10:17 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4097846)
I bet when it's used in an NFL game, it's a black player saying it to another black player. If a white guy said it, we'd see fights on the field.

My understanding of the proposed rule is that it has nothing to do with racism, but is targeted at getting black players to stop calling each other that. If a white player calls a black player the n word, I seriously doubt we'll be talking about a 15 yard penalty.

usc90grad 02-26-2014 10:19 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4097853)
My understanding of the proposed rule is that it has nothing to do with racism, but is targeted at getting black players to stop calling each other that. If a white player calls a black player the n word, I seriously doubt we'll be talking about a 15 yard penalty.

I think the idea came about after a white player called a black ref the n-word last season. Think that's what I heard on the radio.

etowngangsta 02-26-2014 10:20 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Over under on thread going to political forum by post number 51?

RGHoskins 02-26-2014 10:21 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by etowngangsta (Post 4097860)
Over under on thread going to political forum by post number 51?

I'm surprised it made it this far.

RGHoskins 02-26-2014 10:23 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4097855)
I think the idea came about after a white player called a black ref the n-word last season. Think that's what I heard on the radio.

I would think if a white player called a black ref the n word, he'd be fired within 72 hours.

ccured 02-26-2014 10:42 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
It was a black player that called a black ref a ******. There was no white guy involved.

The player was trent Williams and the ref was Roy Ellison. Ellison was suspended because he had warned Williams to cut out the profane language and Williams said F you. Ellison called him a disrespectful motherf'er. Williams called him the n word

Cockypantherfan 02-26-2014 10:49 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by etowngangsta (Post 4097860)
Over under on thread going to political forum by post number 51?

Easily the under.

Sir Cuss 02-26-2014 10:50 PM

Re: The "N word" ......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4097716)
Doesn't banning certain words go against the constitutional right of freedom of speech? Isn't that what our country was founded on?

The NFL can ban what it wants; it's not the government.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.