CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Quick nutrition advice needed (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204589)

Nassau Gamecock 03-03-2014 11:07 AM

Quick nutrition advice needed

So, Doc says I need to start an exercise regimen and cut carbs etc.Need to drop 25 lb, lower glucose and hypertension.
Medically Supervised workout is at 2:30 in the afternoon. Assume a 2 egg omelet, high fiber toast and 1 thin slice deli ham for breakfast- about 8:45, what should I have before workout? I'm thinking a high protein ensure and an apple about 1 hr before? Really would appreciate any suggestions for leaving the office and going to the gym.

What a great Gamecock weekend!

BigRedCock 03-03-2014 11:18 AM

Re: Quick nutrition advice needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock (Post 4103104)
So, Doc says I need to start an exercise regimen and cut carbs etc.Need to drop 25 lb, lower glucose and hypertension.
Medically Supervised workout is at 2:30 in the afternoon. Assume a 2 egg omelet, high fiber toast and 1 thin slice deli ham for breakfast- about 8:45, what should I have before workout? I'm thinking a high protein ensure and an apple about 1 hr before? Really would appreciate any suggestions for leaving the office and going to the gym.

I have a protein bar, a fruit cup, and a bottle of water 45 minutes before i hit the gym. Yours sounds comparable
Good luck!

The Yancey 03-03-2014 11:49 AM

Take it slow. Eat 5-6 times per day. Make sure that whatever bar/shake you are using only has around 200 calories. I had gained a lot of weight cooking high density meals for Marie when she was on chemo. I had ballooned up to 212. I made it down to 206 fairly easy but was stuck there. I got this body monitor through my insurance company. Ended up costing me $120 and I am getting a year of the $15 monthly monitoring fee free. Since starting using it on 1-21 I am down to 197. I've been impressed with it. You may be able to take advantage of the discount even without having Cigna. Check it out here: http://www.bodymedia.com/site/landing/cigna.html

The Yancey 03-03-2014 11:52 AM

I also use these free apps from Noom on my phone: http://www.noom.com/

Nassau Gamecock 03-03-2014 12:35 PM

Many thanks, Yancey - how are you doing?

I'm trying to add more beans (white, lentil, black) into our diet and fewer potatoes for me. If I could do this with beer, wine during the week and scotch on the weekend, I'd be OK.

The Yancey 03-03-2014 12:51 PM

Frank, I have managed to use cauliflower to replace potatoes and cheese in certain recipes. Works well!

3MTA3 03-03-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4103195)
Frank, I have managed to use cauliflower to replace potatoes and cheese in certain recipes. Works well!

I can attest to this, as well.

Many are skeptical or hesitant about cauliflower, but if you use it with other ingredients properly, you'll barely be able to notice the dish has cauliflower at all.

usc90grad 03-03-2014 01:09 PM

I eat a spoonful of peanut butter and take an NO3 supplement about 30 mins before I work out. And you should take protein after you work out if you're trying to add muscle.

TKE226 03-03-2014 03:11 PM

Need to make sure you hydrate as well. Didn't see that mentioned in here.

The Yancey 03-03-2014 03:35 PM

Weigh in today and I am down to 196.

GoCCUChants 03-03-2014 04:21 PM

Find a new doctor.

J/K--Old joke by my late grandfather.

uscGRAD04 03-03-2014 05:31 PM

Cauliflower is a great carb replacement. Caulflower rice is easy. Just put it in processor and microwave it for 8 mins.

Like stated above, I've used it in potatoes, rice and even as a pizza crust.

GarnetArmy07 03-03-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

I actually presented a power point for corporate wellness a couple of weeks ago. When I find it, I'll send it to ya. Maybe provide a little more help.

The Yancey 03-03-2014 06:19 PM

I'm making this tonight with the addition of mushrooms, onions, and assorted veggies.

http://www.laurenslatest.com/easy-ca...-mac-n-cheese/

spareparts 03-03-2014 06:20 PM

How about a Hot Pocket?

usc90grad 03-03-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4103519)
How about a Hot Pocket?

:lol: That's for later

JaxcockFL 03-03-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spareparts (Post 4103519)
How about a Hot Pocket?

Hot pocket with a protein boost.

GoldenSpur7 03-03-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

I was doing a quasi-paleo thing for a while, where I cut out most grains, and legumes. I changed my breakfast regime to eliminate a lot of the carbs I was eating then. At first I had an energy drop, but once some weight came off, I could get by just eating an omelet in the morning, with broccoli and mushrooms, maybe some tamaters (or salsa, when they're out of season, like now). 2-3 hours later, I have a banana, and some birdseed (sunflower, usually) and the rest of the day varies, but I adhere to some of the general principles stated above. I workout regularly, and didn't have any real problem, except (like I said) at the beginning. Over a few months, went from 212 to 187, though I've back-slid a little, and I'm back up 6-7 lbs.

So you might try dropping the toast, for starters. You might also try walking, on days when you don't want to work out hard.

Cock Kool-Aid 03-03-2014 10:28 PM

Cutting out the booze would make a big difference, but doesn't sound like you're willing to do that.

ds401 03-03-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOODS and pop/soda
Cut out the bread and ham.
Substitute PLAIN oatmeal and banana Greek yogurt

Sweet potato microwave 3 mins 25 secs
Greek yogurt
Salad- lettuce carrots, cauliflower, tomato, hard boiled egg, beets

SnackMix- oatmeal, 10 walnuts, chopped up apple, blueberries

easy snacks - microwave steam plain veggies, pretzels 10, saltines with natural peanut butter - NO hydronated oils/fat

Everytime a commercial comes on get up and walk around.

Water, skim milk