CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Sarge (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Legget's Interferance (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204606)

Big Spur 03-03-2014 02:27 PM

Legget's Interferance

Ok, Saturday, Top of the 9th, runners on 2 and 3. Blooper hit 2nd baseman goofs catch and tries to throw out second guy scoring. Player slides under tag called safe. Catcher is arguing with ump and Legget storms field. Meanwhile base runner keeps advancing seeing catcher with ball and back to field. Legget TELLS CATCHER TO TURN AROUND AND THROW BALL!!! Our guy is thrown out at 3rd for final out and the mouthing starts. All the jaw jacking covered up Legget's actions. If not for us being up by 8 runs what should have happened?

JerseyBird 03-03-2014 02:32 PM

Re: Legget's Interferance

Also of concern was the bad DJ Swearinger impersonation the 3rd baseman did afterwards. No style points for him.

markp_vip 03-03-2014 02:34 PM

I would think deadball as soon as Jackleg steps on field of play, so either runner gets 3rd if more than half way there at that point or send him back to 2nd if not. Under no circumstance can I see him being out on the play.

USCBatgirl21 03-03-2014 02:40 PM

Men on either 1B and 2B or 2B and 3B. Leggett called for interference on play.

As you note, with us being up by 8 runs, and the tempers flaring as they were, I honestly believe the coaches and umpires made the right decision by just ending the top half and moving onto the bottom. I truly believe if they'd followed the rules to the letter of the law, Caldwell would have taken one to the head on the very next pitch and all Hades would have broken loose (on the field and in the stands).

Honestly, it would have been incredibly bad form for Chad to push for the interference call being up by 8 runs.

gamecock88 03-03-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp_vip (Post 4103327)
I would think deadball as soon as Jackleg steps on field of play, so either runner gets 3rd if more than half way there at that point or send him back to 2nd if not. Under no circumstance can I see him being out on the play.

This.

It's dead ball or play stops when a coach comes on to the field. Play should have stopped there and the players who advanced or out go back/ No out.

Travelin 03-03-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4103332)
Men on either 1B and 2B or 2B and 3B. Leggett called for interference on play.

As you note, with us being up by 8 runs, and the tempers flaring as they were, I honestly believe the coaches and umpires made the right decision by just ending the top half and moving onto the bottom. I truly believe if they'd followed the rules to the letter of the law, Caldwell would have taken one to the head on the very next pitch and all Hades would have broken loose (on the field and in the stands).

Honestly, it would have been incredibly bad form for Chad to push for the interference call being up by 8 runs.

If they would have called the play dead when they should have, the incident at third would have never happened.

Did the Coaches and Umps agree on ending the inning the way it ended?

HeadCockFan 03-03-2014 03:00 PM

Ray Tanner should've ridden into the stadium on horseback with garnet and black face paint a la Braveheart and trampled Jack Leg.

2000grad 03-03-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4103348)
If they would have called the play dead when they should have, the incident at third would have never happened.

That was the goof

Wingman 03-03-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadCockFan (Post 4103357)
Ray Tanner should've ridden into the stadium on horseback with garnet and black face paint a la Braveheart and trampled Jack Leg.

YES!!

Travelin 03-03-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4103364)
That was the goof

Yes Sir. It's on the umps and Jack Leg.

Not the first time he's pulled some crap like this. I hope Ray does what he has to do and submit a formal complaint about it. Let's face it, our team handled the situation as good as you can hope for. It doesn't take away from the fact that their coach and players were completely out of order.

ReadR00ster 03-03-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4103325)
Also of concern was the bad DJ Swearinger impersonation the 3rd baseman did afterwards. No style points for him.

Completely different, that what DJ Swearinger did. That was just a "Look-at-me, look-how-hard-I-am," moment. He wasn't trying to pick a fight.

1982Gamecock 03-03-2014 03:53 PM

Listened to Coach Holbrook at lunchtime on 107.5. He said it is the umpire's discretion whether or not to stop play when a coach comes on the field to protest. We were up 10-2 and he said it wasn't worth arguing the play at 3rd at that point. Better to move on. He complimented the umpire staff for overall a well-called weekend and keeping the 3rd base incident from escalating.

Cocks have class- what can we say? And we OWN Clemson who has none!!!

markp_vip 03-03-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4103390)
Yes Sir. It's on the umps and Jack Leg.

Not the first time he's pulled some crap like this. I hope Ray does what he has to do and submit a formal complaint about it. Let's face it, our team handled the situation as good as you can hope for. It doesn't take away from the fact that their coach and players were completely out of order.

And you know if we had been safe at third then Jackleg would have argued that the play should have been dead and to send our runners back.

USCBatgirl21 03-03-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4103348)

As indicated in a post after mine, yes they did.

thekob 03-03-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4103332)

Kind of like protesting the call when you're down by so much.

But that's one of the differences between us and them I suppose! :)

COCKYWOOD 03-03-2014 04:21 PM

You can't touch a player and direct them where to thow. Leggo came very close to touching the ump also.

Spurticus 03-03-2014 04:23 PM

Technically it would all depend (umpires discretion) on where Mooney was
at the time Leggett stepped onto the field. ..... Play would have been
dead at that point, BUT ..... if Mooney was more than half way between
2nd and 3rd base, he would have been given third + advance to the
next base (which would have been home, and a score). ..... If he was
halfway or less, then Mooney goes back to 2nd base. Leggett would have been
tossed from the game.

At least that's the interpertation of the dead ball rule several years ago.
If it's changed since the mid / late 90s, I'm unaware of the change.

2000grad 03-03-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD (Post 4103419)
You can't touch a player and direct them where to thow. Leggo came very close to touching the ump also.

That's a little league rule too

ShutTheSuccop 03-03-2014 04:45 PM

how would you feel is Clemson scored nine in the bottom of the inning? I realize that this notion is far-fetched but the truth is that there is a rule in place for this type of situation and it was arbitrarily not enforced. I understand Holbrook not pressing the issue (I don't blame him) but IMO, it should have been called dead the second Leggett stepped on the field (objective application of the rule). I was glad to see the umpires regain control of an otherwise volatile situation....I also can't believe that Clemson's third baseman (Baum?) was not ejected from the game. I know that Leggett said it was 50-50 but after seeing the photo, it was entirely their fault. If they don't like USC running up the score, maybe they should get better pitchers and fielders, no?

USCBatgirl21 03-03-2014 04:51 PM

If they'd scored 9 in the bottom...that's baseball, and we have no one to blame but ourselves for blowing a 8 run lead.

I was there. They did the right thing.