CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The Military channel (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204629)

auslander 03-04-2014 04:05 AM

The Military channel

Has become "The American Heroes Channel"

Sadly one of the last bastions of TV I could stomach has jumped the shark.:sad:

Thenardier 03-04-2014 04:12 AM

Re: The Military channel

World at War is pretty good, though I prefer my DVDs.

auslander 03-04-2014 04:22 AM

It is but you will see less and less of that sort of thing going forward. I give it six months and it will look just like all the others, full of reality crap TV and Oprahesque type garbage. Anybody else see a show about fat emo firefighters going through an intervention on the horizon? I do! What military stuff I see (if any of it stays on there) is going to be more rah-rah emotional we are the good guys crap and less nuts and bolts history.

If you want to watch a good documentary "Soviet Storm" is a good one and it is on YouTube. It was made in Russia but is nicely dubbed in English.

Thenardier 03-04-2014 04:33 AM

Thanks to the build up over Ukraine, I've dusted off my copy of Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy, good book about a WWIII scenario NATO vs the Soviet Bloc.

auslander 03-04-2014 04:53 AM

Remember "Red Army" by Ralph Peters? That one was a favorite back in the day so was "Team Yankee" which was sort of corny but a fun read

Thenardier 03-04-2014 05:12 AM

I enjoyed both. Clancy's my fave though. It's because when I was little, I'd read his books when my family drove, from Atlanta up to NC, to see my grandparents.

Thenardier 03-05-2014 02:04 AM

Lol, was watching CNN. They interviewed a Russian that lives in Crimea. His name was Sergey Golovko, just as I was reading some of Sum of All Fears, lol.

Cockypantherfan 03-05-2014 11:50 AM

Have you seen TLC in the past several years? If a station stands for "The Learning Channel" then you would think there is some educational programming, but no it is just putrid wedding bullshit and other reality drivel... disgusting I say!

Spur's Addiction 03-05-2014 12:26 PM

TLC hasn't been the learning Channel for at least 10 years.

MTV hasn't been Music television since 20 years.

Discovery used to have some good shows. Now it's just reality crap as well.

Same with History Chanel

The list goes on.

Reality TV is cheap to produce. Most shows are flops. But every now and then something like Duck Dynasty or American Chopper takes off and makes a ton of money.

uscgmck 03-05-2014 08:03 PM

Did you see the Charleston reality show Southern Charm did not even hit a million viewers right out of the box. I watched about 10 minutes of it and my conclusion is; rich or poor its all the same only the homes, clothes, cars and drinks are better if rich. The concerns are also the same but the rich can express them in a more proper way but still make people think "inbreeding".