CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Blackstock, SC Music Festival (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204695)

BigRedCock 03-05-2014 08:57 PM

Blackstock, SC Music Festival

http://www.blackstockmusicfestival.com
Music festival being held May 30-31 2014 in Blackstock SC, about 30 minutes north of Columbia.
2-day general admission tickets (including primitive camping) are $140 for the weekend. Regular price is $160.
This remind me a lot of Wanee Festival in Live Oak, FL for any folks familiar with that festival.
I've seen about half of these bands before and it'll be a funky good time!

Line-up
Mason Jennings
Galactic
Will Hoge
BoomBox
Leftover Salmon
Papadosio
Toubab Krewe
The Revivalists
Hiss Golden Messenger
Simplified
Dopapod
Gwen Sebastian
Key
The Mantras
Big Daddy Love
Stop Light Observations
Sun-dried Vibes
Electric Soul Pandemic
Asian Teacher Factory
Imperial Blend
calm and repose
Jon Linker Band
Brandon Kirkley and the Firecrackers
Floating Thought
Smithtunes
Susan Douglass Taylor

:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

bertoholic 03-06-2014 12:42 AM

Re: Blackstock, SC Music Festival

Nobody is going to pay $140 to go to the middle of nowhere.

Cockypantherfan 03-06-2014 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertoholic (Post 4105965)

But dude, Leftover Salmon is playing!

Acockolypse Now 03-06-2014 12:59 AM

You've obviously never been to Bonnaroo.

Looks like a good time. Holy shit at all the hackey-sack that will go on that weekend.

bertoholic 03-06-2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4105972)
You've obviously never been to Bonnaroo.

Looks like a good time. Holy shit at all the hackey-sack that will go on that weekend.

You've obivously never been to Blackstock. 5 stop signs, a mail drop box, a fish camp and general store. Other than that there are only 2 other things in Blackstock: Cows and drunks.

Acockolypse Now 03-06-2014 03:07 AM

Bonnaroo is sort of near Manchester, TN.

Which is sort of near nowhere.

For that matter Coachella is in the middle of the desert.

Big festivals like to be out where there's lots of cheap land. I'm going to Sasquatch again this year, and there is NOTHING near the gorge, I mean nothing.

The point I'm making is that if the music's good, they will come. The lineup is a little too "jam band" for me, but there's a ton of people who like that sort of thing.

Tony 03-06-2014 10:11 AM

Looks like Woodstock in Fairfield County. There will be lots of beer and hippies smoking merry-wanna. Cops will be all over the traffic in and out of the area, be careful if you go.

ColaCock 03-06-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

That is how all music festivals are...in the middle of nowhere with nothing around. People pay upwards of $300 to attend. I'm going to Wanee Festival in April and it's $238 for tickets...even more for VIP. Middle of nowhere as well in a state park.

That is kind of what it is all about...being in the middle of nowhere, primitive camping, laid back atmosphere, etc. The crowds that hit music festivals don't have desire to eat at Applebee's before going to the show or being in walking distance to CVS or McDonald's.

Cock Kool-Aid 03-06-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

You're clearly not familiar with music festivals. A more appropriate comment would be "Noone's going to pay $140 for that line up."

bertoholic 03-07-2014 01:48 AM

I'm familiar with Blackstock. I wish them the best of luck. I just don't see it being successful.

ultimatetailgater 03-07-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4106539)
You're clearly not familiar with music festivals. A more appropriate comment would be "Noone's going to pay $140 for that line up."

Yep, passes should be more like $50 for that lineup

Cock Kool-Aid 03-07-2014 11:24 AM

Music festival = enclosed area with multiple stages, vendors, activities, camping area. The actual attractions of the town has no bearing. All participants remain within the enclosed festival area which is typically in a field. All that is required is a field.

usc90grad 03-07-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedCock (Post 4105778)
Line-up
Mason Jennings
Galactic
Will Hoge
BoomBox
Leftover Salmon
Papadosio
Toubab Krewe
The Revivalists
Hiss Golden Messenger
Simplified
Dopapod
Gwen Sebastian
Key
The Mantras
Big Daddy Love
Stop Light Observations
Sun-dried Vibes
Electric Soul Pandemic
Asian Teacher Factory
Imperial Blend
calm and repose
Jon Linker Band
Brandon Kirkley and the Firecrackers
Floating Thought
Smithtunes
Susan Douglass Taylor

I honestly don't recognize a single name. What type of music?

Luke Skycocker 03-07-2014 12:21 PM

Yea, I don't know a single one of those groups either

Tony 03-07-2014 01:09 PM

Well, Mason Jennings is not Waylon's son, that would be Shooter. Susan Douglas Taylor is a local Winnsboro talent who is very good, kind of like Emmylou Harris. The others I don't recognize.

BigRedCock 03-07-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4107113)
I honestly don't recognize a single name. What type of music?

It's mostly jam band types…but ranges in format. Some are more country. Some rock. Some electronic.
Here's the ones I know the most about.

Galactic is an awesome New Orleans style funk/jazz jam band. They put on a great, high energy, dance your ass off type performance. The lead singer from Living Colour is currently with Galactic.

Will Hoge is a country-pop kind of guy. He's had a few radio hits. "Not That Cool" and he also sings that real country sounding song that's on the recent truck commercial "Strong"

BoomBox is two guys that make electronic/rock music. One of the guys is the son of one of the members of the Grateful Dead.

Leftover Salmon is an old school string type jam band. They've been around forever

Papadosio is a more electronic group. Mainstay on the festival circuit.

Toubab Krewe is a crazy act. In addition to traditional instruments, they play these odd African string and percussion instruments that you've never seen or heard of before. They're all white guys, but spent time in deep Africa learning these instruments. Really cool

Dopapod I know I've seen these guys, but nothing memorable. They play a lot of festivals too.

Stop Light Observations is from Charleston. Good mix of influences

Sun-dried Vibes. I went to college with the lead singer. Was in a lot of my business classes. They're out of Rock Hill/Charlotte now I think. Reggae/Cali-style rock

markymark550 03-07-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid (Post 4106539)

I agree with this. Haven't heard of a single band on the list, then you tell me it's all jam bands. No thanks.

Cock Kool-Aid 03-07-2014 06:59 PM

I can vouch for galactic and toubab (not live, but I've listened to their recordings). They're both very unique and talented groups. I may hit this up just to do a festival... Haven't been in years because of the price + distance. I wonder what the police force will be like though?

It seems like they'll have a good variety of non jam stuff. Although these are small name artists, those end up being some of the best. I find 90.5 WUSC to be the best pure music station in Columbia and they can't really play any popular artists. I find new artists every day that are very good. That said, I would be more inclined to go if they drop the price to say $99/ticket.

tpep 03-07-2014 07:06 PM

check out Carolina Rebellion the 1st weekend in May in Charlotte. not the middle of nowhere and i'd bet you know a couple of the acts

markymark550 03-07-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpep (Post 4107485)
check out Carolina Rebellion the 1st weekend in May in Charlotte. not the middle of nowhere and i'd bet you know a couple of the acts

Did that use to be called Center City Fest? Or is this a completely different one?