CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Long road for Coach Martin but... (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204699)

Rebel4ever 03-05-2014 09:49 PM

Long road for Coach Martin but...

he can make a winner here if he chooses. Now it's going to take as long as it did Coach Staley. If he decides to stay that long. I don't think changing coaches again within the next 5 years is the answer from an administration point of view. He needs as much time as Coach Staley and obviously show improvement. Improvement in our case is winning 5-6 SEC games within the next 2 years and hopefully 8-9 SEC wins in the next 5-6 years. We are looking up at Mount Everest. If Coach Martin can't get us to at least .500 in SEC play in the next 5-6 years then it might be time for a change. Coaching carousel in our case doesn't work like it does at UK and UNC when they had their minor bumps. If it doesn't work out with Coach Martin then the only way I see us being relevant in basketball is to make a splash hire. I mean a huge name like Spurrier in football and Staley in women's basketball. That would mean hiring a coach and paying him the big bucks. From what I see, it's Coach Martin with a 5-6 year window to get us to 8, 9-10 SEC wins or hire a BIG national name. Either way it's going to take a LONG time. I hope I'm wrong though.

JaxcockFL 03-05-2014 09:53 PM

Re: Long road for Coach Martin but...

The issue that I have is the amount of screaming and cussing he does to his players. It's a little over the top. JMTC

b381l 03-05-2014 09:55 PM

He's not going anywhere without turning our program around first.

Plus if he leaves without turning our program around, his value will have been diminished
substantially.

M.C. 03-05-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxcockFL (Post 4105843)
The issue that I have is the amount of screaming and cussing he does to his players. It's a little over the top. JMTC

Yea he is always looking like he is gonna kill someone during timeouts...and the way he yells is rediculous

4gamecockfb 03-05-2014 10:19 PM

I sure do hope we keep him. He will turn us around. Frank is no quitter

roosterdude21 03-05-2014 10:25 PM

He has his work cut out for him

jfbreb94 03-05-2014 10:42 PM

He's old school. Let em raise hell!! Give him some time.

scfanz 03-05-2014 10:46 PM

I really think Coach an turn the team around, but he does need to rein in his language and temper.

doc 03-05-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

I agree, not proper behavior from a leader and a teacher. I'm afraid
this type of behavior will keep us from getting certain athletes. I like
his passion, just not the way he expresses it.

gamecock88 03-05-2014 11:15 PM

If you're winning a lot of that can be overlooked. If not, other than losing and bad basketball, his behavior is about all we see. I agree with the OP, long tough road ahead and I see very little to think things will change anytime soon. There are a few bright spots but not many and not often.

Gamecocks1137 03-05-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 4105916)
this type of behavior will keep us from getting certain athletics. I like

Spurrier curses on the sideline, yells at players, hell he even throws his headset occasionally. Look where we are in football.

GamecockUltimate 03-05-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

This team fought like no other 11-18 team i have ever seen. The man gets through to his players, and you dont see the otherside of the coin. They all love Frank.

GamecockUltimate 03-05-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 4105916)
this type of behavior will keep us from getting certain athletics. I like

Have you seen how much Dawn yells and carries on, and she has a top 5 team. On that note, Tanner was also ruff on players during there first year, granted he had guys who "figured it out" sooner seeing as how it has been pretty easy to recruit at sc

Rebel4ever 03-06-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b381l (Post 4105846)
He's not going anywhere without turning our program around first.

Plus if he leaves without turning our program around, his value will have been diminished
substantially.

This is true. Whatever rep he has would take a hit if he bails on us without at least making steps forward. If he could make those steps in years to come, he could stay here a long time. I hope he can land some top players and make us competitive year in and year out. He's supposed to be a good recruiter. I just want us to be a solid program that can average 9 wins a year in the SEC, once in every few years make a run at an SEC title and national title. Just be one of those programs that people say, "Watch out for them", I'd really like for us to be a program like a Pitt or a Villanova or OK State. Name some more that you'd like us to be like. Not the Duke's or UNC or Syracuse or UK or Kansas cause we'll never be like that, I wish we could, but just a solid program that can make some noise every now and then.

CoverTwo 03-06-2014 12:38 AM

It'll be interesting to see if the Miami job opens up again whether he tries to go after it. Other than that, I can't see another job that would pull him from Columbia right now.

As far as his behavior.. We knew what we were getting. I don't understand why people still complain about it.

TwoNotch Dreams 03-06-2014 12:41 AM

Breaking News: Most College Coaches Yell At Players

Bob Knight made a Hall of Fame career out of it. As are Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino and countless others. Frank will go overboard sometimes like all coaches who get caught up in the moment, but he means well. Bottom line is that the players are responding to the type of style he wants to play and are competing hard.

jared 03-06-2014 01:02 AM

I've sat down and had lunch with Michael Carerra in Russell House before. The way he talked about Frank, you could tell he loved him. He said Frank was the reason he came here. I believe his exact words were "Yeah he yells a lot. Frank is crazy, but he's a great guy." Something of that nature. He gets into his guys, but they believe in him. Let them worry about all the yelling.

ReadR00ster 03-06-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Yeah, well you better get used to it. Same for anyone else that has a problem with it.

ReadR00ster 03-06-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scfanz (Post 4105899)
I really think Coach an turn the team around, but he does need to rein in his language and temper.

He needs to win. Who cares about anything else.

BigOrangeCrush 03-06-2014 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams (Post 4105964)
Breaking News: Most College Coaches Yell At Players

Bob Knight made a Hall of Fame career out of it. As are Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino and countless others. Frank will go overboard sometimes like all coaches who get caught up in the moment, but he means well. Bottom line is that the players are responding to the type of style he wants to play and are competing hard.

apparently you haven't witnessed TN coach Martin...he is the exact opposite of SC coach Martin...I wish our coach had your coaches fire...actually I wish we had Bruce Pearl back...