CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   "VIKINGS" (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204729)

GapoGamecock51 03-06-2014 11:09 PM

"VIKINGS"

Anyone getting ready to watch???? Favorite characters, thoughts on this season?

I am really interested to see where the story line goes with Lagertha having left Kattegat and Ragnar.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/754b134c2...to1_r1_500.png

Gapo

Thenardier 03-07-2014 02:09 AM

Re: "VIKINGS"

Need a spoilers warning, I'm still on season 1.

SwampFox 03-07-2014 08:59 AM

I've done my best not to miss an episode, even though you can watch the shows after they've aired on www.history.com . I don't really have a favorite character, nor am I speculating on where the show is going. I have an idea how it will end, but we shall see.

ccured 03-07-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4106877)
Need a spoilers warning, I'm still on season 1.

Not you in general but i am sick of the needs a spoiler crap. I think it is fair for maybe a week. But people calling people out is ridiculous. Another forum i go on from time to time dude flipped out because he was on season 3 of breaking bad and they were discussing the finale. If you haven't watched it don't put yourself in position to find out by opening threads about said topic. Especially something that was months or years ago.
Sorry
/rant

ccured 03-07-2014 01:46 PM

If you know any of the Norse tales you probably have an idea where it is headed. Lagertha is gonna be a bad as when it's all said and done. I do believe. Love the show never miss an episode

snruter amabon 03-07-2014 02:01 PM

I personally like Loki

USCBatgirl21 03-07-2014 02:07 PM

I love the show. Only problem is that I have to catch the 11 pm re-airing as it's opposite SCANDAL. (Hello, my name is Renee and I'm a SCANDAL-holic.)

I was irritated with Ragnar last season when he bedded that princess wench. Can't wait to see how bad a** Lagertha comes back. I loved her when she took down those two hoodlums in the 1st episode. And interested to see Bjorn return as well.

brat 03-07-2014 02:09 PM

I watched the first three episodes of season one, then realized instead of showing true history, it was historical fiction and another soap opera. I stopped watching it.

Tire of watching reality shoes that have virtually nothing to do with history ("Ax Men" as just one of many examples) instead of telling exact history...this happened here, by this person, at this time, etc. I watch less and less TV each year.

USCBatgirl21 03-07-2014 02:17 PM

Brat...honest question...was it ever pitched as being anything other than a historical fiction? I truly don't remember it being pitched as anything remotely being true to history or a reality show, regardless of it being on THC.

TheMule 03-07-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4107227)
Not you in general but i am sick of the needs a spoiler crap. I think it is fair for maybe a week. But people calling people out is ridiculous. Another forum i go on from time to time dude flipped out because he was on season 3 of breaking bad and they were discussing the finale. If you haven't watched it don't put yourself in position to find out by opening threads about said topic. Especially something that was months or years ago.
Sorry
/rant

Agreed. Threads are here to discuss what happened and speculate on what might happen. If you're afraid of seeing a spoiler then man up and stay out of the thread.

ccured 03-07-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brat (Post 4107264)
I watched the first three episodes of season one, then realized instead of showing true history, it was historical fiction and another soap opera. I stopped watching it.

Tire of watching reality shoes that have virtually nothing to do with history ("Ax Men" as just one of many examples) instead of telling exact history...this happened here, by this person, at this time, etc. I watch less and less TV each year.

Yes it is soap operatic but what exactly have you objected to. It has been pretty true to the Norse sagas. Which are rooted in some fact but mostly fiction. Not sure why you would be looking for a history class on something that is not fact

GapoGamecock51 03-07-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snruter amabon (Post 4107253)
I personally like Loki

Floki, actually.

Gapo

GapoGamecock51 03-07-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4107234)
If you know any of the Norse tales you probably have an idea where it is headed. Lagertha is gonna be a bad as when it's all said and done. I do believe. Love the show never miss an episode

I am looking forward to Lagertha's story arch this season....I vaguely understood that she was a famous shieldmaiden, and that she became a powerful woman on her own. And being that Lagertha is played by Katheryn Winnick, doesn't hurt, either. :P

Gapo

GapoGamecock51 03-07-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4107371)
Yes it is soap operatic but what exactly have you objected to. It has been pretty true to the Norse sagas. Which are rooted in some fact but mostly fiction. Not sure why you would be looking for a history class on something that is not fact

Shows like this one actually stoke a fire in me to read about the topic of the show, in this case the Vikings...It is a t.v. show, if you expect there to be little or no dramatic license, don't watch. If you must watch and don't like the liberty taken, stop by the library or bookstore and pick up some books.

Gapo

uscgmck 03-07-2014 08:07 PM

His old wife is hotter than the new one. She did leave because of sharing hubby, however in season one she did invite the young monk to a threesome.

brat 03-09-2014 11:46 PM

I may not have paid too close attention to how it was alluded to prior to it beginning, but I do not recall it other than showing it about Vikings and with it on History Channel, I just assumed it to be more true events. Finding it not so was a mild disappointment to me.

What I oppose is that it seems when something hinges as much on the "Soap Opera", it tends to lean more and more on that than the history portion.

Gapo made a positive point where this helped whet his appetite to read and learn more about the Vikings and that is great.

Pope Paul VI, after the worldwide success of "Jesus Christ Superstar", was asked what he thought of it as many found it controversial. He replied that anything that got the message out was a good thing. So, the same here, I suppose.

What I was expecting was miniseries, similar to the recent three day showing of "Klondike" produced by the Discovering Channel, I think. something around 8 or 9 hours, in total. This was the story of the early days of the Klondike Gold rush around the turn of the 20th Century. While some things had to be slightly twisted to fit time frame and push the story along, it was all based on historic facts, places, events, and people, famous and not so famous. Very well done, acted, and produced.

That was what I thought "Vikings" would be.

As an old history major, I don't mean to sound snobbish, but I prefer as much historic fact as possible. At any rate, as long as you are entertained, it serves the purpose and, of course, many of the events portrayed did happen (raids and slaughter of monks, including the kidnapping of one who later became known as St. Patrick, in fighting, etc.) and the Vikings even sailed down the Seine River, through Paris, went to Arabic lands, and then there was settling Vineland and some believe they explored far inland of the continent of North America. Much material for them to draw upon.

MB_Gamecock 03-09-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 (Post 4107273)
Brat...honest question...was it ever pitched as being anything other than a historical fiction? I truly don't remember it being pitched as anything remotely being true to history or a reality show, regardless of it being on THC.

I like that channel.

dreammachine 03-10-2014 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscgmck (Post 4107530)
His old wife is hotter than the new one. She did leave because of sharing hubby, however in season one she did invite the young monk to a threesome.

Like the show, but I thought that that was strange that she did not want to share her man but was willing to allow the young monk to join in. That being said, overall it is a good show. Keep in mind it is not totally historic, but even a lot so call historic stuff on the History Channel is not 100% true.

I did think that he was a little light on his brother after he betrayed him and killed some of his fellow friends and raiders.