CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Proving Ground (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   NCAA considering early signing date in football (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204750)

GarnetInChicago 03-07-2014 05:02 PM

NCAA considering early signing date in football

If this actually happens, it will be very interesting to watch how the recruiting game changes.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...eriod-football

Luke Skycocker 03-07-2014 05:08 PM

Re: NCAA considering early signing date in football

I'm all for it

rioninusc 03-07-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker (Post 4107412)
I'm all for it

Same here. What date do y'all think this should be? I'm thinking either First Monday in August, or the Second Monday in December.

LegalCock 03-07-2014 06:13 PM

Not a fan. Hoops recruiting is freaking boring because of this. By the time they actually get to school they've been signed for so long you forget who the hell they are. Big league football needs to break from NCAA asap. Also, how does this serve the student athletes? They should be allowed to change their minds until as late as possible, including once enrolled, if a coach leaves.

gotrice? 03-07-2014 07:28 PM

I'm not a fan of this unless they are allowed out of their LOI if coaches are fired or if other circumstances change. Sounds like a good situation for the school but not a good one for the player because it takes away the option to change their mind if circumstances change.

rioninusc 03-07-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotrice? (Post 4107503)
I'm not a fan of this unless they are allowed out of their LOI if coaches are fired or if other circumstances change. Sounds like a good situation for the school but not a good one for the player because it takes away the option to change their mind if circumstances change.

Doesn't a lot of this start changing after national signing day anyway? Edit I meant position/coordinator coaches, and yeah I do agree if a coach is fired before the late signing day the player should have the right to go to another school.

The Yancey 03-07-2014 08:24 PM

SOS has said that he is in favor of this.

gotrice? 03-07-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rioninusc (Post 4107537)
Doesn't a lot of this start changing after national signing day anyway? Edit I meant position/coordinator coaches, and yeah I do agree if a coach is fired before the late signing day the player should have the right to go to another school.

I would actually say that the vast majority of coaching moves, assistants included, occur before NSD. Plus I'm not a fan of this because let's say a coach promises a kid that he is the only player he will recruit at his position this year and that is a main reason for the commitment. Then after signing an LOI on early NSD the coach goes out and signs another highly rated player at his position. I personally think the player should be allowed to get out of going at that point if he wants to but instead he gets screwed. I just don't see much of a benefit for the players, which means the NCAA will be 100% behind this.

rioninusc 03-07-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotrice? (Post 4107557)
I would actually say that the vast majority of coaching moves, assistants included, occur before NSD. Plus I'm not a fan of this because let's say a coach promises a kid that he is the only player he will recruit at his position this year and that is a main reason for the commitment. Then after signing an LOI on early NSD the coach goes out and signs another highly rated player at his position. I personally think the player should be allowed to get out of going at that point if he wants to but instead he gets screwed. I just don't see much of a benefit for the players, which means the NCAA will be 100% behind this.

Gotcha, kind of saw the HC change usually happening after the regular season, and before bowl season. Can see where this can screw over a recruit, but this also helps give the EE's a day to celebrate. This is why I'm more inclined to the second week of December, especially after reading your posts.

boness 03-09-2014 03:46 PM

I'm for it. No issue with the HC change out option. I don't think the other reasons are valid. Yes the staff may promise this or that or an assistant may leave but these roads go both ways.
Committing, verbally or otherwise, is by definition a promise. One I'm certain the most make in good faith and most keep. However just as they can change thier intent should circumstance lead so should the staff be able. If the staff has a track record of making promises not intended to keep then that track record is known and the prospect can balance that on whatever attracks him then choosing accordingly. Most programs do a decent job of researching prospects, it is sensible prospects do the same.
Should the NCAA make verbals binding however contingent upon the parties reaching an agreement on certain bullet points I'm fine with that but again it goes both ways. If either party is unable to meet any one of the agreed upon points then the other is allowed to void the agreement.
I think it reasonable to presume most players want thier team to be the best it can be. Clearly team and individual success are mutually beneficial. The early sign date allows the team to identify needs secured and thus focus on those remaining. SC does a lot of sceme and need based recruiting. Being able to lock up prospects that fullfill specific roles may help us as much or more than programs who target raw talents that may be more flexible in thier assignments. If they get guys that can play two or three roles well then losing out on a player more suitable for a specific job with in thier sceme isn't as damaging. Given we don't sign as many of the upper echelon raw talents we possibly target more guys who likely fill one specific job well with in our sceme. We may be less able to compensate for losing such players and thus benifitt from being able to secure specific needs at an early point and then pursui those remaining.

roosterdude21 03-09-2014 04:33 PM

When most teams are going after 14-15 year olds what's the harm in waiting until Feb of their senior year to sign them?

b381l 03-10-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4107548)
SOS has said that he is in favor of this.

I read the exact opposite. One of his reasons was if high school kids start signing in the fall, they get way too much attention when the attention should be on the players on our team. The high school kids get their big day on signing day.