CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Quitting Smoking. (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204752)

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 10:13 PM

Quitting Smoking.
 
It f---ing sucks. Today is day 8 and for whatever reason it's the hardest day yet. I keep telling myself that tomorrow can be day 9 or it can be day 1 and so far I'm not willing to let go of over a week without cigarettes, but damnit this sucks. I don't like to lose and if I did give in I'd feel like a failure but f********ck I'm looking forward to not feeling like this anymore. 20 years is hard to let go of in a little over a week.

acejrock 03-07-2014 10:23 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Are you doing it cold turkey or patch or what?

The Yancey 03-07-2014 10:23 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Are using the patch or pill?

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 10:23 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Nope. Just quitting.

The Yancey 03-07-2014 10:26 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Using patch or pill has been shown to be more effective. I quit a thousand times until I used the patch. I wore them fo r6 weeks. Gave me time to deal with the social parts and the constant hand to mouth routine. It will be 21 years this May 25.

acejrock 03-07-2014 10:26 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
If you are on day 8 with no patch or pill you are past the nicotine part.. now you have to break that habit.

Like Yancey said the oral fixation/hand to mouth part sucks.

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 10:30 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yancey (Post 4107618)
Using patch or pill has been shown to be more effective. I quit a thousand times until I used the patch. I wore them fo r6 weeks. Gave me time to deal with the social parts and the constant hand to mouth routine. It will be 21 years this May 25.

I know what you mean and I appreciate the insight.
Quote:

Originally Posted by acejrock (Post 4107619)
If you are on day 8 with no patch or pill you are past the nicotine part.. now you have to break that habit.

Like Yancey said the oral fixation/hand to mouth part sucks.

Yup. That's what I have to beat. I'm holing myself up in my house for a few weeks and riding this out. I just don't know what's so different about tonight. Maybe because it's the first Friday that not smoking isn't a novelty.

Spur's Addiction 03-07-2014 11:00 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Hang in there. My wife quit about 3 months ago. Cold Turkey. She pretty much did what you did. Just holed up when she got the craving.

She's doing pretty well now but it was a rough month or two. But whenever she get's stressed she says all she wants to do is smoke.

That is one habit I am glad I never picked up.

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 11:05 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction (Post 4107637)
Hang in there. My wife quit about 3 months ago. Cold Turkey. She pretty much did what you did. Just holed up when she got the craving.

She's doing pretty well now but it was a rough month or two. But whenever she get's stressed she says all she wants to do is smoke.

That is one habit I am glad I never picked up.

I think I get what she was going through. I'm in sales and week 1 is "Wind in the sales" (stupid, I know). I had a very very good week, but that doesn't reduce the stress I guess. I just need to learn to adapt to situations without that crutch. Good luck to your wife, as well.

Cockholio 03-07-2014 11:14 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
It f'n sucks, that's all there is to it. Be strong man. A few things to think about.. Are you going to continue allowing big tobacco to control your life, or are you going to take it back? Are you going to allow them to hold you prisoner, or are you going to bitch slap their gatekeeper and march on down the road? Are you going to continue emptying your pockets at $4 a pack, contributing to their riches while they slowly kill you? Hell no! F big tobacco! You're not their slave. It isn't easy, no, but it's worth the pure hell you're experiencing now man. IT WILL PASS. Best wishes.

ccured 03-07-2014 11:16 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
I quit cold turkey almost 6 years ago. I don't drink near as much anymore either because I stopped going out because for years a beer went in one hand and a cigarette in the other

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 11:19 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4107649)
I quit cold turkey almost 6 years ago. I don't drink near as much anymore either because I stopped going out because for years a beer went in one hand and a cigarette in the other

I quit drinking hard liquor in January, lol. It would be easy to argue that this is too much too soon, but once it's done, it's done.

markymark550 03-07-2014 11:32 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Good luck to you. I smoked back in my late teens and early twenties. I tried quitting a few times because my girlfriend (wife now) absolutely hated it and wanted me to quit. I would go a few days and be ok, then something would happen (go out to the bar, stress from work, etc) that would get me to start back up again. It wasn't until I was truly ready to quit for myself that I was able to quit. I quit cold turkey and the worst time for me was week #2. That week was the worst for my cravings. After that it got easier and easier. It's been almost 8 years that I quit.

Again, good luck to you. I know it's hard, but stay the course.

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 11:40 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4107658)
Good luck to you. I smoked back in my late teens and early twenties. I tried quitting a few times because my girlfriend (wife now) absolutely hated it and wanted me to quit. I would go a few days and be ok, then something would happen (go out to the bar, stress from work, etc) that would get me to start back up again. It wasn't until I was truly ready to quit for myself that I was able to quit. I quit cold turkey and the worst time for me was week #2. That week was the worst for my cravings. After that it got easier and easier. It's been almost 8 years that I quit.

Again, good luck to you. I know it's hard, but stay the course.

Thank you! This is the first day of week 2 and I was under the impression the worst was over. I can take it if there's a deadline on it getting harder and I know I'm still going uphill.

GamecockMomSC 03-07-2014 11:46 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
You are doing great!
:clap:

markymark550 03-07-2014 11:51 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGHoskins (Post 4107663)
Thank you! This is the first day of week 2 and I was under the impression the worst was over. I can take it if there's a deadline on it getting harder and I know I'm still going uphill.

Maybe the worst is over for you and I hope it is. That was just my experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I will say that in the month after I quit, I think I single-handily kept Wrigley's in business. I was chewing that spearmint gum like it was going out of style.

RGHoskins 03-07-2014 11:53 PM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markymark550 (Post 4107668)
Maybe the worst is over for you and I hope it is. That was just my experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I will say that in the month after I quit, I think I single-handily kept Wrigley's in business. I was chewing that spearmint gum like it was going out of style.

Thanks man. I'm just gonna hop on the elliptical instead.

Acockolypse Now 03-08-2014 01:51 AM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Dude, very proud of you.

Keep it up!

COCKYWOOD 03-08-2014 02:14 AM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
:clap::clap::clap:Buy some cloves and give them a try. Worked for my dad after 30 years of cigs. They last a long time and help with urges. Good Luck! :wink::wink::wink:

The Yancey 03-08-2014 02:30 AM

Re: Quitting Smoking.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD (Post 4107709)
:clap::clap::clap:Buy some cloves and give them a try. Worked for my dad after 30 years of cigs. They last a long time and help with urges. Good Luck! :wink::wink::wink:

Recent research has shown that clove cigs cause quite a bit of liver damage.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.