CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Contact lost with plane carrying 239 people (Malaysia to Beijing) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204756)

ColaCock 03-07-2014 11:14 PM

Contact lost with plane carrying 239 people (Malaysia to Beijing)

http://time.com/16748/flight-with-23...-goes-missing/

FlorenceCock 03-07-2014 11:17 PM

Re: Contact lost with plane carrying 239 people (Malaysia to Beijing)

I just saw this on the BBC news. I hope that by some chance there is a miracle and everyone ends up safe but it does not look good.

ColaCock 03-08-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlorenceCock (Post 4107652)
I just saw this on the BBC news. I hope that by some chance there is a miracle and everyone ends up safe but it does not look good.

Yeah, read it didn't have enough fuel to have lasted this long...and any landing would have been reported already.

Supposedly a source is reporting that a transmitter is sending a signal from the ocean 120 miles southwest of Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam.

I'm following updates on Reddit.

Acockolypse Now 03-08-2014 01:49 AM

Terrible.

Was there any report of bad weather in the area? The 777 is an amazingly safe plane, I'm hoping this wasn't terrorism.

Spur's Addiction 03-08-2014 02:10 AM

Bad news.

nicstockman 03-08-2014 08:45 AM

I don't see any way this ends with a happy ending.

The Yancey 03-08-2014 10:13 AM

Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

catdaddy66 03-08-2014 11:23 AM

Absolutely hate to hear this. News of plane crashes give me a much more visceral response emotionally than other accident or act of God... I am not a fan of flying but have flown before. Thoughts go to the victims and families...

Travelin 03-08-2014 12:33 PM

Two people on the plane were traveling with stolen passports.

This is beginning to sound like terrorism.

One of the passports was stolen two years ago from an Austrian man in Thailand.

The other seems to have been stolen in Thailand last August from an Italian man.

usc90grad 03-08-2014 06:02 PM

Yeah planes doesn't disappear 2 hours into flight unless it's terrorism. Planes crash on takeoff and landing because that's when a human is in control.

SECgamecock453 03-08-2014 07:09 PM

Scary stuff.. just booked a flight for Vegas myself which is in August but hate hearing these kinds of things. Hope everyone is okay... but I think you guys are right..

b381l 03-08-2014 09:41 PM

are they calling this an act of terrorism yet.

BlakelyH19 03-08-2014 09:41 PM

It's starting to sound like a terrorist act with the stolen passports, but you would think if it was some terrorist organization would take credit for this.

theo_robbins 03-08-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4108126)
Yeah planes doesn't disappear 2 hours into flight unless it's terrorism. Planes crash on takeoff and landing because that's when a human is in control.

You sure?

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/07/fren...air_franc.html

Quote:

Faulty air speed indicators and poor pilot training led to the crash of an Air France jet on a flight between Brazil and France in 2009, according to a report from a French transportation investigation board. That failure has led to preliminary charges of manslaughter for Air France and the company that made the plane, Airbus, according to a USA Today story.
French investigators say that the airspeed indicators, or pitots, froze or were obstructed by ice crystals 2 hours and 10 minutes into the flight as the plane headed into a storm. The pilot had taken a scheduled break and the co-pilots failed to realize the indicators were not working.

ds401 03-08-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakelyH19 (Post 4108357)
It's starting to sound like a terrorist act with the stolen passports, but you would think if it was some terrorist organization would take credit for this.

I wouldn't stay in American owned hotels in certain countries or cities. Also, nowadays insurance policies are offered for kidnapping or terrorism acts. Whatever happened to just plain old accident insurance!?

ccured 03-08-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo_robbins (Post 4108408)

Only 9% of plane wrecks happen at cruising altitudes. The plane was also inspected 10 days ago and was given the proper condition grade.
http://news.yahoo.com/oil-slicks-off...--finance.html

theo_robbins 03-09-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4108416)
Only 9% of plane wrecks happen at cruising altitudes. The plane was also inspected 10 days ago and was given the proper condition grade.
http://news.yahoo.com/oil-slicks-off...--finance.html

Well the person I quoted said "planes doesn't disappear 2 hours into flight" (I assumed he meant "planes don't"). I was simply providing a recent example of where another plane carrying 200+ people disappeared 2 hours into a flight where there was zero terrorism.

usc90grad 03-09-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo_robbins (Post 4108408)

Exception to everything really. Needless to say, the story you linked is extremely rare. Even so, it was pilot error/neglect. Planes themselves rarely fall out of the sky.

GamecockNeal 03-09-2014 05:48 AM

Sounds like it was aggression towards china if it was indeed terrorism. Ill be in Malaysia in a few months myself and just booked a ticket for a weekend in Japan. Sure hope it was just mechanical issues.

usc90grad 03-09-2014 09:15 AM

Read there were no distress signals. So whatever happened, happened really quick.