CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11) (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204795)

Spurticus 03-10-2014 06:25 AM

Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Quarterfinal Matchup.
Vote for your favorite between these two artists:


DEF LEPPARD







WHITESNAKE




JerseyBird 03-10-2014 06:50 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Hmmm...a tough one because I would consider both of these bands a little above the "hair metal" level (where the music is secondary to the image) - I liked them both but DL gets the nod for longevity.

Legalman72 03-10-2014 07:21 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Brutal matchup. Whitesnake, as was said, transcends hair. So does DL, for that matter.

Music snob or not, imagine this one live. This is rock n roll.


Spurticus 03-10-2014 07:25 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Voting for Def Leppard as well. Whitesnake had an "appeal" with a couple
of their songs (to me anyway) but as a whole, I never cared for them that
much. Def Leppard was a band I liked a lot, but never could see them as
neither a "Hair Band" act, nor a serious Rock Band. Even after they were
past their prime (80s) and they matured, they kept trying to change their
image to fit what was popular at the time. They tired to get "serious" and
do a more Bluesy Rock thing. Tried an album of classic British Rock and
Glam, and even dabbled in Grung. None of it fit them. Eventually they
ended up full circle and their most recent success came when they tired
going back to their 80s stuff, and even though it only appealed to a certain
sect of the population (aka: The Old Crowd), it had a nice "flavor".

Voting for Def Leppard in this matchup. They are the better band, and
they were the better of these two acts when both were in their prime.

Spurticus 03-10-2014 07:34 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyBird (Post 4108924)
Hmmm...a tough one because I would consider both of these bands a little above the "hair metal" level (where the music is secondary to the image) - I liked them both but DL gets the nod for longevity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legalman72 (Post 4108925)
Brutal matchup. Whitesnake, as was said, transcends hair. So does DL, for that matter.

Music snob or not, imagine this one live. This is rock n roll.


I like the way this tournament is shaping up. In pretty much all of the
ones we've done in the past, the first couple of rounds were Odd at times.
With the lower seeds blowing out the top seeds because a lot of people
didn't list the lower seeds on their priority lists when we were voting for
priority. But when the head to head matchups began, the lower seeds
were the better of the two in comparison.

This one played out well when we were doing the nominations lists, and
getting the seeding set. So far it has gone the way you'd expect a
well seeded Tournament to go. ... The upper seeds Blew away the lower
seeds, and toward the middle of the bracket, the head to head matchups
were tougher and closer voting, but the top seeds won.
Looking at the second round now, there are four pretty good matchups.
Should be interesting to see how the rest of the second round plays out.

gamecock88 03-10-2014 08:35 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Toughest one so far in my op. Voted DL for the overall body of work but WS had a several songs that kicked azz back in the day. Solid bands.

uscjeremynca 03-10-2014 11:56 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Sorry, this isn't even close. Talent wise Def Leppard is light years ahead of Whitesnake. Def Leppard one of my favorite bands of all time. Number of quality songs and talent should make this a landslide victory (which it is so far).

Acockolypse Now 03-10-2014 12:13 PM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Sitting this one out in protest.

Spurticus 03-10-2014 02:30 PM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
WOW !

Just checking back in with the thread since posting it this morning and I
am surprised. Not that Def Leppard is winning, but by the margin they are
winning.

Most people have stated it was a tough choice between the two, but D/L
got the vote. I figured Def Leppard would win this matchup, but had no idea
they were going to be an overwhelming pick here. ... less than a day up I
know, but this one is looking like a complete route.

Cockholio 03-10-2014 03:11 PM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Def Leppard all the way for me. They're a real band whereas Whitesnake was mostly just a different bunch a hired guns for each album. Neither band was a 'hair band' imo.

Def Leppard was one of my favorite bands in high school. They were so raw and kick-ass. Their song "Saturday night, High and Dry" was the song I listed as my senior year 'song to fit my personality'.



My personal story of DL fandom..

I saw Def Leppard back in '83 opening for Billy Squier at the Omni in Atlanta. DL blew Squier off the stage, and were headlining within a couple of months after that. Squier said later that allowing his management to sign DL as his opening act was one of the biggest mistakes of his career. The video for 'Rock me tonight' being THE biggest mistake of his career.
Career Suicide video..


Last August, 30 years after seeing Def Leppard for the first time, I saw them again at the Verizon Amphitheater in Charlotte. They were awesome and was a milestone concert for me.

uscjeremynca 03-11-2014 02:39 PM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockholio (Post 4109182)
Def Leppard all the way for me. They're a real band whereas Whitesnake was mostly just a different bunch a hired guns for each album. Neither band was a 'hair band' imo.

Def Leppard was one of my favorite bands in high school. They were so raw and kick-ass. Their song "Saturday night, High and Dry" was the song I listed as my senior year 'song to fit my personality'.



My personal story of DL fandom..

I saw Def Leppard back in '83 opening for Billy Squier at the Omni in Atlanta. DL blew Squier off the stage, and were headlining within a couple of months after that. Squier said later that allowing his management to sign DL as his opening act was one of the biggest mistakes of his career. The video for 'Rock me tonight' being THE biggest mistake of his career.
Career Suicide video..


Last August, 30 years after seeing Def Leppard for the first time, I saw them again at the Verizon Amphitheater in Charlotte. They were awesome and was a milestone concert for me.

DL is one of my favorite bands of all time. However, sad thing now is Joe's voice. Can't hit the high stuff like he used to. Just doesn't sound the same anymore.

The band is still awesome. May be the best backing vocals of any band in the world. All the guys are really good singers. You don't get that with a lot of bands.

Spurticus 03-14-2014 07:25 AM

Re: Greatest "HAIR BAND" Tournament - Round 2: DEF LEPPARD (#3) vs WHITESNAKE (#11)
 
DEF LEPPARD with the huge win moves on to Round #3

Next matchup in round 2 will go up Monday Morning around 6:am


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.