CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   iCocky (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   4K screenshot showcase - Metro: Last Light (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=204834)

The Yancey 03-10-2014 10:50 PM

4K screenshot showcase - Metro: Last Light

These images look fantastic!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/10/4k...ro-last-light/

johnnyb 03-11-2014 01:48 AM

Re: 4K screenshot showcase - Metro: Last Light

Was looking at a 4k display at a store the other day, I have a pretty good 1080 tv, good enough in fact that I have had people swear it was some kind of 3d without glasses. And the 4 k makes it look like dog poo. That being said, when I do go to 4k (or the next standard whatever it may be) I will be going to a 60 in plus screen size

uscbrasco 03-11-2014 10:18 AM

Maybe someone here can explain this, but I have read several different places that the human eye cant actually discern the difference between 1080 and 4k (which may or may not actually be 4k). On top of that, I didnt think anyone is even producing 4k material.

Any thoughts?

RebelGamecockfan09 03-11-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscbrasco (Post 4109608)
Maybe someone here can explain this, but I have read several different places that the human eye cant actually discern the difference between 1080 and 4k (which may or may not actually be 4k). On top of that, I didnt think anyone is even producing 4k material.

Any thoughts?

4k is starting to come out but I don't think there's any "4k" tv channels yet. From what I understand, there is a difference. I think it probably wont be noticeable at all from these images because you're viewing it through a computer screen that most likely isn't 4k. Despite this, again from my understanding, images in 4k still should look slightly better on a normal computer screen.

MWard 03-11-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebelGamecockfan09 (Post 4109626)
4k is starting to come out but I don't think there's any "4k" tv channels yet. From what I understand, there is a difference. I think it probably wont be noticeable at all from these images because you're viewing it through a computer screen that most likely isn't 4k. Despite this, again from my understanding, images in 4k still should look slightly better on a normal computer screen.

For 4K to work as it's advertised you have to have several parts lined up.

If you're talking about 4K TV, you're provider has to have fiber optic cable. The regular coaxial or regularHDMI cable isn't enough. So you need a Verizon Fios service or something like that. You'll need HDMI 2.0 cables. You'll need specific 4K blue ray discs for that. Also, I don't think all blue ray disc players will be 4K compatible if you want to buy/rent a movie, so you need to check the player model's spec.'s.

The biggest challenge for 4K tv's will be the current cable market infrastructure/wiring isn't setup to handle the 4K signals. Laying new cable to millions of people is extremely expensive and would cost a company with Time Warner's geographic coverage, $billions$.

The upcoming 4K status quo is probably a big reason Comcast and Time Warner want to merge. They'll have more buying power when the contract a company(ies) to lay that cable. Although, Google is doing some of the legwork here, Google selected 30 cities that they are going to fit with fiber optic cable recently. Charlotte is one of them.

Cockadoo 03-11-2014 01:54 PM

TV channels may be far off, but as for Blu-Ray and Gaming they are out now.

The Yancey 03-11-2014 08:12 PM

Dear Lifehacker,
4K TVs hit the market last year and lots of companies are in the process of releasing budget-conscious 4K monitors. I like the idea of higher resolution, so is this something I can benefit from or should I just stick with the monitor I've got?P

Sincerely,
Flustered Over 4KP

Dear Flustered,
In short, no, you probably won't benefit from buying a 4K monitor right now. The cheaper ones aren't that great, the TVs have very little content you can watch on them, and the monitors worth purchasing cost so much that you really need a good reason to spend upwards of $3,000 on them. But later this year things may change a bit, so let's first discuss what 4K can do for you and when it'll be worth your money.

http://lifehacker.com/what-is-4k-and...ium=socialflow

johnnyb 03-11-2014 09:06 PM

Just like with the jump from 720 to 1080 it depends on the screen size, on 19 in monitor you will be able to tell no difference in 4k, 720, or 1080...the screen size isn't large enough for 720 to begin to degrade jump to around a 32 and you can tell a noticable difference in 720 and 1080 the break point for 1080/4k will prob be somewhere around 40-46 in