CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   Fowl Shots (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   CBI hopes for Gamecocks (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205112)

Lee W 03-16-2014 03:19 PM

CBI hopes for Gamecocks

The Gamecocks ended the season on a 6-5 run and put up a strong showing in the SEC Tournament. At 14-20, it may be a long shot. Do you think we will be invited to the 16 team college basketball invitational? It's a 3rd tier tournament and we bring name and big time coach. Last season losing record teams such as Purdue and Texas were invited. I'm giving us a 20% chance. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Cockypantherfan 03-16-2014 03:53 PM

Re: CBI hopes for Gamecocks

I've honestly never heard of it but playing together in another tournament can't hurt us at all.

FanofCarolina1 03-16-2014 03:56 PM

It would be nice to see the guys play some more but I highly doubt it. I give our chances 0%. Might as well keep enjoying Baseball season and hope the guys have a good summer and fall in preparation for the 2015 season.

sporkgod50 03-16-2014 03:58 PM

20 percent chance seems about right. How many teams does the cbi take and would the cocks play in cola?

Lee W 03-16-2014 04:01 PM

16 teams and we could play in cola

sporkgod50 03-16-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee W (Post 4114498)
16 teams and we could play in cola

Thanks. Points.

Cockhornleghorn 03-16-2014 04:04 PM

I'd love to play some more games. More games = more practice = more hope for next season.

chaostheorysc 03-16-2014 04:06 PM

On their website, it does say that they look at how teams played at the end of the season. That would be the biggest selling point for us, as well as a big name coach, and being a time on the rise.

Lee W 03-16-2014 04:06 PM

I want to see us play in another tournament a lot

Lee W 03-16-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostheorysc (Post 4114501)
On their website, it does say that they look at how teams played at the end of the season. That would be the biggest selling point for us, as well as a big name coach, and being a time on the rise.

Nice find

Spurrier_Superior_One 03-16-2014 04:09 PM

0% more than likely if we didn't get a bid to the CIT we sure aren't getting a bid to the CBI.

markymark550 03-16-2014 04:11 PM

Like FoC1, I give our chances at playing in the CBI at 0%.
1. For whatever reason, the SEC has never had a team play in it.
2. At 6 games below .500, there are other high-major and mid-major teams more deserving to keep playing.
3. It's pay-for-play, and I don't see our athletic department wanting to put money into this.

I think the extra practices and game(s) would be beneficial for the younger guys, but it's time to put this season behind us and focus on the future.

Lee W 03-16-2014 04:11 PM

CiT already sent teams invitations?

markymark550 03-16-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4114506)
0% more than likely if we didn't get a bid to the CIT we sure aren't getting a bid to the CBI.

I'm pretty sure the CIT is solely for mid-majors. We wouldn't get a bid to that one regardless of how good we were.

SanAntonioCock 03-16-2014 04:14 PM

I think it's a pay to play tournament and a SEC team has never gone to it.

chaostheorysc 03-16-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One (Post 4114506)

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the CIT takes power conference teams. I think it's for mid and low majors only. I quickly looked back through the brackets from previous years, and didn't see any power conference teams.

chaostheorysc 03-16-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock (Post 4114512)
I think it's a pay to play tournament and a SEC team has never gone to it.

In the end, it will probably come down to whether Frank and Ray decide they want to do it. If it's one of those "unspoken" things with the SEC, not only is that dumb as hell, but I don't see Frank or Ray backing down if it's something they decide together to do.

chaostheorysc 03-16-2014 04:34 PM

According to wikipedia, the CBI selection itself is not pay to play. Getting home games before the best of 3 finals is the pay to play part of the process.

markymark550 03-16-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostheorysc (Post 4114525)
According to wikipedia, the CBI selection itself is not pay to play. Getting home games before the best of 3 finals is the pay to play part of the process.

From what I understand, all teams in the tournament must be willing to host. The teams with the highest "bids" actually do get to host. This may or may not be true, that just came from talking with fans of a low-major conference that had their school in the tournament.

From a financial standpoint, it's not a good tournament to be in. I think most teams wind up in the red and the ones that make any money at all have to have sell outs. That is the aspect that Tanner should be looking at the most.

Spurrier_Superior_One 03-16-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee W (Post 4114508)
CiT already sent teams invitations?

Yes, Upstate got a bid and a first round home game, two years in a row. I didn't know if the CiT was a midmajor only tourney. I still hope for a CBI invite given how the team played going down the stretch.