CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Water Cooler (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cosmos (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205129)

Gamecocks1137 03-17-2014 01:15 AM

Cosmos

I just watched the 2nd episode of Cosmos on Fox with Neil Degrass Tyson, and could not help but feel a little blown away by the necessity to throw GOD under the bus here. Is it not ok to believe in both God and Science? I am one that believes in both with sincerity.

With that said, I do enjoy the show, and I hope reality shows are soon replaced with educational ones such as this.

MisterClowney 03-17-2014 01:58 AM

Re: Cosmos

I watched the first episode.. and while I wished it would have not been so definitely biased towards science (IMO believing in science or even extraterrestrials doesn't mean you can't believe in God) that wasn't the reason I didn't like the show.

It wasn't educational enough for me. I knew most if not all of the stuff that was discussed. Wished it would have gone deeper than what I learned in Astronomy 101. Also did not like the cartoon part, felt it went on way too long.

Wanted it to be more like a Planet Earth with Space. Turned out to be more of a soapbox for Scientology.

3MTA3 03-17-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4114806)
I just watched the 2nd episode of Cosmos on Fox with Neil Degrass Tyson, and could not help but feel a little blown away by the necessity to throw GOD under the bus here. Is it not ok to believe in both God and Science? I am one that believes in both with sincerity.

With that said, I do enjoy the show, and I hope reality shows are soon replaced with educational ones such as this.

I watched most of the second episode and therefore i might have missed it- but how did they throw God under the bus?

Remember- a show like this is not going to specifically "credit" God with something. That is not the intent of the show. It is a purely science based show. So, unless it can be observed (or to the best of science's ability) then it's not going to be referenced.

3MTA3 03-17-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterClowney (Post 4114810)
I watched the first episode.. and while I wished it would have not been so definitely biased towards science (IMO believing in science or even extraterrestrials doesn't mean you can't believe in God) that wasn't the reason I didn't like the show.

It wasn't educational enough for me. I knew most if not all of the stuff that was discussed. Wished it would have gone deeper than what I learned in Astronomy 101. Also did not like the cartoon part, felt it went on way too long.

Wanted it to be more like a Planet Earth with Space. Turned out to be more of a soapbox for Scientology.

Scientology?

Um, no. Try again.

Thenardier 03-17-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterClowney (Post 4114810)

Dou you actually know what Scientology believes?

2000grad 03-17-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4114826)
I watched most of the second episode and therefore i might have missed it- but how did they throw God under the bus?

Remember- a show like this is not going to specifically "credit" God with something. That is not the intent of the show. It is a purely science based show. So, unless it can be observed (or to the best of science's ability) then it's not going to be referenced.

Science based shows HAVE to leave out God? I must have missed that...and if that is what it means, then that makes zero sense

Mr.101 03-17-2014 11:56 AM

Are they obligated to mention religion?

A show with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is going to be strictly centered on scientific discovery.

My question is, what would you have the show say?

Gamecocks1137 03-17-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA3 (Post 4114826)

They basically argued against a form of intelligent design the entire episode. Instead of strictly talking about our DNA and how we are all similar to every living organism on Earth, they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.

Mr.101 03-17-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4114956)
they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.

The purpose of the show is to present what scientists have spent centuries working to discover and educating people about said discoveries. If it disagrees with biblical creation or intelligent design in general.....oh well....

Gamecocks1137 03-17-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.101 (Post 4114977)
The purpose of the show is to present what scientists have spent centuries working to discover and educating people about said discoveries. If it disagrees with biblical creation or intelligent design in general.....oh well....

Your not getting what I am saying, they went out of the way to do so. Picking an agenda, and if Seth McFarlane is producing this show, then I can see why they are doing so.

Cockypantherfan 03-17-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4114806)

If the show is about science why do you feel religion needs to be brought into it?

Gamecocks1137 03-17-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan (Post 4114987)
If the show is about science why do you feel religion needs to be brought into it?

This is the point I am making, they went way out of their own way to bring it in, and then try to disprove it.

2000grad 03-17-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4114997)
This is the point I am making, they went way out of their own way to bring it in, and then try to disprove it.

They basically created a strawman...is that what you are saying?

Thenardier 03-17-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.101 (Post 4114977)

This.

Only problem I has with it was their story about Bruno. Bruno was executed for other things, though to be fair he shouldn't of been executed anyway. Diggers was the real enlightened astronomer who helped expand cosmic thinking.

3MTA3 03-17-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4114937)
Science based shows HAVE to leave out God? I must have missed that...and if that is what it means, then that makes zero sense

What purpose would inserting God have for a show like Cosmos?

3MTA3 03-17-2014 03:33 PM

Cosmos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4114956)
They basically argued against a form of intelligent design the entire episode. Instead of strictly talking about our DNA and how we are all similar to every living organism on Earth, they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.

That's not the way I perceived it.

Thenardier 03-17-2014 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000grad (Post 4114937)

Well, seeing how it's about science, and not religion, you can understand why they talked about science.

Cheezy 03-17-2014 03:40 PM

Fantastic show, and I'm glad that it's back on the air. Hopefully some young minds will be opened and enlightened.

3MTA3 03-17-2014 03:43 PM

Cosmos

Funny thing is- as I was watching it, and seein evolution being discussed, I knew SOME evangelicals would shit a brick because God was not specifically mentioned.

GarnetInChicago 03-17-2014 03:45 PM

If the scientists and people behind the show believe that intelligent design is out of sync with their scientific views, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with bringing it up. Just like there's nothing wrong with presenting an opinion about believing in intelligent design. There are plenty of programs on television that do both.