CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   8 or 9 Game SEC Schedule to be Decided in May (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205143)

Travelin 03-17-2014 05:17 PM

8 or 9 Game SEC Schedule to be Decided in May

They will also review the permanent rivals issue in Destin this May.

Everything needs to be determined soon because of the SEC Network.

Quote:

The final decision, Mike Slive said, will be made by presidents and chancellors in concert with their athletic directors.
As previously mentioned, the permanent rivals are also being reviewed. However, the feeling now is that those rivals will remain in place.
LSU athletics director Joe Alleva said he believes only LSU, Texas A&M and South Carolina are in favor of making the permanent cross-division rivals more balanced. LSUs annual rival is Florida.
If Im at a school with a permanent opponent that I like and its easier than playing Alabama, LSU or Auburn, why would I want to change? said Alleva. You vote for your best interests, which is contrary to what this league usually does. Everybody is supposed to vote for the best interests of the league. I think well probably keep permanent opponents because nobody will have the guts to change it.
http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/03/s...hedule-by-may/

kingoftheroost 03-17-2014 05:27 PM

Re: 8 or 9 Game SEC Schedule to be Decided in May

Spurrier has noted several times how almost all the schools who want to play 9 conference games have their rivalry game already in the conference. Love or hate them, CU is a good team, so moving to a 9-game conference schedule punishes schools like us, UF, UGA (when GT isn't terrible), and UK. Schools like Alabama, Auburn, MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, and Arkansas wouldn't mind as much. Even UT plays Alabama and VU as their rivalry games.

In other words, if we go to a 9-game conference schedule, then there should be a rule that makes the teams whose arch rivals are in the SEC have to play a school from another BCS conference every year. Of course, even if that were to happen, schools like Indiana, Purdue, Wake Forest, and similar schools would have several suitors.

Thenardier 03-17-2014 05:36 PM

If the SEC moves to 9 games Auburn will move to the SEC East and Mizzou go West.

Acockolypse Now 03-17-2014 05:37 PM

I like the 8 game.

Plus, I'm in favor of us being assigned as a permanent opponent the team from the previous year that finished last in the West.

Thenardier 03-17-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now (Post 4115250)
I like the 8 game.

Plus, I'm in favor of us being assigned as a permanent opponent the team from the previous year that finished last in the West.

A&M is SC's permanent opponent.

Travelin 03-17-2014 05:54 PM

Hyman thinking about profit margin again.

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M and UCLA have agreed to a home-and-home series in 2016 and 2017, the schools announced Thursday.

"We are very pleased this series was able to come together and provides our program with an exciting, premier non conference matchup against UCLA," Texas A&M athletic director Eric Hyman said in a statement.
In all seriousness, if the SEC goes to a nine game schedule, no FBS teams should be allowed to play FCS teams. With the Play-Offs lurking, that only seems fair.

rioninusc 03-17-2014 06:19 PM

I'm going to go with both. For now 9 games works because of how big the divisions are. The SEC can go back to the H/A format if it wants, or have a quicker rotation of games by keeping the same rotation.

Now when the day comes the SEC adds 2 more teams to make it 16 teams. The best bet would be 8 games. The divisions would most likely be split to 4 4 team divisions, which the 4 divisions will rotate playing each other every year. 7 games+ rival game.

BlueHerons 03-17-2014 06:24 PM

If you would have asked Miss State 20 years ago if they were in favor of making South Carolina their permanent cross rival, they would have jumped all over it. Now, notsomuch. Teams change, not all teams will be good forever.

Spurrier_Superior_One 03-17-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thenardier (Post 4115248)
If the SEC moves to 9 games Auburn will move to the SEC East and Mizzou go West.

Bama isn't going to give up UT rivalry, they could play as a nonconference game but that won't happen.

Carolinafan8908 03-17-2014 06:53 PM

I'm in favor of a 9 game SEC schedule. As a season ticket holder it gives me a better match up than South Carolina vs Furman or South Carolina vs South Alabama. I'd rather see a South Carolina vs LSU or South Carolina vs Alabama. Plus you don't have to wait so long to play all the western division teams. Sure it makes our schedule harder, but it makes every team in the SEC have a harder schedule. We're in the best and most storied conference in the history of college football. And looking at a schedule and having tickets to Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, A&M, and a LSU, Alabama, or Ole Miss is more exciting than Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, A&M, and a crap game with a Furman or South Alabama. But that's just me.

FanofCarolina1 03-17-2014 06:55 PM

Why does plan this have Nick Saban written all over it?

Who 03-17-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolinafan8908 (Post 4115308)
I'm in favor of a 9 game SEC schedule. As a season ticket holder it gives me a better match up than South Carolina vs Furman or South Carolina vs South Alabama. I'd rather see a South Carolina vs LSU or South Carolina vs Alabama. Plus you don't have to wait so long to play all the western division teams. Sure it makes our schedule harder, but it makes every team in the SEC have a harder schedule. We're in the best and most storied conference in the history of college football. And looking at a schedule and having tickets to Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, A&M, and a LSU, Alabama, or Ole Miss is more exciting than Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, A&M, and a crap game with a Furman or South Alabama. But that's just me.

We would still play those 2 gimme games a year, we would have to play 2 teams who don't require an away game at their stadium in order to keep the 7 home games a year. therefore if we go to 9 conference games you will no longer see any quality OOC other than clemson, and the only difference in our schedule year-to-year will be the 2 rotating west division teams.

Gamecocks1137 03-17-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 (Post 4115309)
Why does plan this have Nick Saban written all over it?

I am pretty sure he was one of the first to come out in agreement with this proposal. Nick Saban seems like he is trying to ruin College Football or forever rig it in Alabama's favor.

Thenardier 03-17-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who (Post 4115325)
We would still play those 2 gimme games a year, we would have to play 2 teams who don't require an away game at their stadium in order to keep the 7 home games a year. therefore if we go to 9 conference games you will no longer see any quality OOC other than clemson, and the only difference in our schedule year-to-year will be the 2 rotating west division teams.

They'd probably do 2 permanent 1 rotating opponents.

IrishCoach 03-17-2014 07:43 PM

Home field advantage is everything in the SEC! There is a reason every team plays 4 home and 4 away - it levels the playing field. If we go to 9 games, every other year we will be playing 5 away games and 4 home games! That's a major issue in my opinion. Don't give me that win anyway crap. Shaw was undefeated at home because he's an amazing competitor, but it sure wasn't a disadvantage for him to be playing at Williams-Brice. I would hate to lose the SEC East because we had to play one more away game than the team that won it.

Travelin 03-17-2014 08:19 PM

If the SEC doesn't go to a 9 game schedule it will immediately hurt the leagues chances at getting a team in the Play-off. Not to mention two. Pac-12, Big 12 and big 10 will be playing a nine game schedule and you can bet the selection committee will hold that against SEC teams.

Also, the lost revenue of a ninth game by the SEC Network.

Gamecocks1137 03-17-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin (Post 4115393)
If the SEC doesn't go to a 9 game schedule it will immediately hurt the leagues chances at getting a team in the Play-off. Not to mention two. Pac-12, Big 12 and big 10 will be playing a nine game schedule and you can bet the selection committee will hold that against SEC teams.

Also, the lost revenue of a ninth game by the SEC Network.

If this is really the case, then the NCAA should extend season's by one game at least.

Travelin 03-17-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 (Post 4115399)
If this is really the case, then the NCAA should extend season's by one game at least.

I think it will come to that or expanding the Play-off to more teams sooner than later, or both.

Pac-12 and Big 12 will play a nine game schedule next year and Big 10 moves to 9 in 2016.

CockyATO 03-17-2014 08:49 PM

I like hearing that A&M isn't looking forward to having us every year. I feel the same about them.

johnnyb 03-17-2014 09:44 PM

we arent a pushover anymore