CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Teddy Bridgewater Fails to Impress at his Pro Day (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205144)

usc90grad 03-17-2014 06:31 PM

Teddy Bridgewater Fails to Impress at his Pro Day

May help to solidify JC as the #1 pick

Teddy Bridgewater's pro day workout 'average at best'

Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater didn't exactly help himself in his quest to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft with his pro day workout Monday. NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner weren't wowed by the workout, with Warner pointing out mechanical issues and Mayock saying "I expected a little bit more today."

Mayock said that while most quarterbacks have good pro days because they are able to script the workout and are throwing in a controlled environment, Bridgewater's workout was "average at best." Mayock said he saw "a lot of flutters, a lot of inaccuracy."

Warner said Bridgewater had problems with his weight transfer, which led to some poor throws. "Accuracy starts with your base and balance," Warner said, and Bridgewater struggled in that regard Monday. "I have seen a couple of balls hang on him a bit," Warner said.

Bridgewater isn't necessarily going to plummet in the draft on the basis of the one workout, and he obviously has a lot of good game tape or he wouldn't be as highly regarded as he is. But as Mayock pointed out, this is a draft filled with players at other positions who are considered to be elite, and Bridgewater's relatively lackluster workout is concerning. Given the depth of this quarterback class, a team -- if it is not convinced about Bridgewater, Bortles or Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel -- conceivably could find a signal-caller in the second or third round who could develop into a long-term starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...verage-at-best

Rebel4ever 03-17-2014 06:49 PM

Re: Teddy Bridgewater Fails to Impress at his Pro Day

You don't pass up a player like Clowney even if there might be a need elsewhere. You take the chance on an elite physical player like him.

FanofCarolina1 03-17-2014 06:49 PM

Even though he held out of some workouts at the combine and was quoted "Average" Pro day. There's enough game footage that teams have to still make him a possible top 10 draft pic.

Cockypantherfan 03-17-2014 10:11 PM

Hopefully this will push the Texans to take Clowney #1. I would LOVE to be able to see DJ and Clowney live in the NFL.

Lalli25 03-17-2014 10:15 PM

Bridgewater was not impressive throughout his college career, why should his pro day be different?

Acockolypse Now 03-17-2014 10:46 PM

Drafting a QB in the first round is some risky shit.

Flameout12 03-18-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usc90grad (Post 4115287)
"Mayock said that while most quarterbacks have good pro days because they are able to script the workout and are throwing in a controlled environment, Bridgewater's workout was "average at best." Mayock said he saw "a lot of flutters, a lot of inaccuracy."

Not good news for Teddy...could mean there are guys with better arms already available riding benches or practice teams. You gotta impress big time if you want to be drafted big time.

On a side note...wonder how Connor compares to Teddy in one of these kind of workouts?

B-G 03-18-2014 09:22 AM

But who cares what Mayock says, he's a "blowhard"

Clemsux182 03-18-2014 09:57 AM

I dont get many things right, but I've said from the beginning of last season that I just didn't see Bridgewater as an ELITE NFL QB. At one point the talking heads were discussing him as a potential #1 overall and I just never saw it. I would take Bortles over Bridgewater any day of the week. Heck, I'd probably go with Murray over Bridgewater too. Mechanics are just not there with Teddy. I hope I'm wrong and he is very successful, but I wouldn't take him in the first round FWIW.

Jim Lahey 03-18-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalli25 (Post 4115509)
Bridgewater was not impressive throughout his college career, why should his pro day be different?

I agree. Never understood why there was so much hype around the kid. IMO he is a 3rd-4th round pick.

SClawman 03-18-2014 11:13 AM

#1 pick will be Clowney or Bortles. Hopefully Clowney.