CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Locker Room (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Clemson DB Sues NCAA (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205180)

taylorssc 03-18-2014 08:18 PM

Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

In the filing, the plaintiffs accuse the NCAA and five power conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC – with "price-fixing," creating artificial restraints by capping scholarship amounts to restrict competition. Its intent, Kessler told USA TODAY Sports, is to "strike down the rules that prevent (players) from getting a share" of the revenue generated by college football and basketball at the highest levels.
Quote:

Four players are listed as plaintiffs. Clemson defensive back Martin Jenkins, a junior, has eligibility left. Cal offensive lineman Bill Tyndall, UTEP tight end Kevin Perry and Rutgers basketball player J.J. Moore, all seniors, have completed their college careers.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ences/6520093/

http://video.foxnews.com/v/335755343...#sp=show-clips

Two things here:
1. Boo-freakin-hoo. Coming from somebody with $40,000+ remaining in student loans to pay off, you are being compensated.

2. Ironic a Clempson player is complaining about not getting paid.

FanofCarolina1 03-18-2014 08:26 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Wasn't a tater player in the suit against EA sports too?

Spurrier_Superior_One 03-18-2014 08:44 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
^Yes but I think he wasn't even 3rd string.

roosterdude21 03-18-2014 08:45 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Obviously he isn't going pro so he's gotta try to get paid somehow. I mean, it's not like that degree will be worth a shit

DJCatfish 03-18-2014 09:09 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorssc (Post 4116266)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ences/6520093/

http://video.foxnews.com/v/335755343...#sp=show-clips

Two things here:
1. Boo-freakin-hoo. Coming from somebody with $40,000+ remaining in student loans to pay off, you are being compensated.

2. Ironic a Clempson player is complaining about not getting paid.

What does your loans have to do with anything? The issue isn't whether he is being compensated. It's how that compensation is set. In no other multi-billion dollar industry in America does every single employer openly collude in writing to cap employee compensation (... because it's illegal).

Get over the sour grapes and look at this objectively. Better yet, actually sit down and read the lawsuit before commenting. Yes, I know there is close to a zero percent chance of an informed post in response, but figured I'd at least ask.

ccured 03-18-2014 09:28 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4116302)
What does your loans have to do with anything? The issue isn't whether he is being compensated. It's how that compensation is set. In no other multi-billion dollar industry in America does every single employer openly collude in writing to cap employee compensation (... because it's illegal).

Get over the sour grapes and look at this objectively. Better yet, actually sit down and read the lawsuit before commenting. Yes, I know there is close to a zero percent chance of an informed post in response, but figured I'd at least ask.

This why I think there might something to this lawsuit. Seems like a good argument for collusion but the rub is they are not really employees of anything. It is a mutually beneficial relationship between players and school. It is definitely not an equal partnership but what says it has to be

taylorssc 03-18-2014 09:41 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4116302)
What does your loans have to do with anything? The issue isn't whether he is being compensated. It's how that compensation is set. In no other multi-billion dollar industry in America does every single employer openly collude in writing to cap employee compensation (... because it's illegal).

Get over the sour grapes and look at this objectively. Better yet, actually sit down and read the lawsuit before commenting. Yes, I know there is close to a zero percent chance of an informed post in response, but figured I'd at least ask.

No sour grapes here. Just don't see the logic in signing a contract, then suing because it's not a good as what you think you deserve. These kids don't have to play college football. If they want money to play sports, go pro. College athletics is an amateur event, therefore they do not receive compensation. End of story. A scholarship is more than generous.

Without college football, he'd be Martin Jenkins, the guy that bags my groceries. These kids need to be careful biting the hand that feeds them.

Calm down and learn to make your point without being a chotch.

ReadR00ster 03-18-2014 09:52 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4116302)
What does your loans have to do with anything? The issue isn't whether he is being compensated. It's how that compensation is set. In no other multi-billion dollar industry in America does every single employer openly collude in writing to cap employee compensation (... because it's illegal).

Get over the sour grapes and look at this objectively. Better yet, actually sit down and read the lawsuit before commenting. Yes, I know there is close to a zero percent chance of an informed post in response, but figured I'd at least ask.

scholarships are not compensation dude. They are charity. Schools don't have to give out scholarships and players are don't have to play college football.

DJCatfish 03-18-2014 09:53 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorssc (Post 4116323)
No sour grapes here. Just don't see the logic in signing a contract, then suing because it's not a good as what you think you deserve. These kids don't have to play college football. If they want money to play sports, go pro. College athletics is an amateur event, therefore they do not receive compensation. End of story. A scholarship is more than generous.

Without college football, he'd be Martin Jenkins, the guy that bags my groceries. These kids need to be careful biting the hand that feeds them.

Calm down and learn to make your point without being a chotch.

It's pretty rich that you call someone a "chotch" in the same post as saying Martin Jenkins would be bagging your groceries if it weren't for football. I'm not sure if that's racism or just pure ignorance at work?

Also, since you seem not to have noticed despite your infinite wisdom, you can't go to the NFL or NBA straight out of high school. You don't think it's mighty coincidental that the only two sports that generate money in college athletics are the only ones where the player can't turn professional?

And, again, you're somehow missing the whole point of the lawsuit. Every single D1 program has entered into an agreement not to compete on what contract to offer players. There is only one contract available to sign. Who are you to tell someone that's all they deserve?

DJCatfish 03-18-2014 09:55 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadR00ster (Post 4116329)
scholarships are not compensation dude. They are charity. Schools don't have to give out scholarships and players are don't have to play college football.

So if a player quits playing football, he can keep his scholarship? I was under the impression the scholarship was what he got for, you know, playing football. Sounds like compensation to me.

taylorssc 03-18-2014 10:04 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
College football is not the only option. Go overseas, go to Canada. They can go play pro ball if they want. NFL and NBA don't stipulate that you have to play in college, just that you've been out of high school for a certain number of years.

ReadR00sters got it right, scholarships are charity. Again, college sports is amateur athletics. Amateur stipulates non-paid. All schools agree on the same amount, you're correct. That amount is zero. It's not collusion, it's a group of institutions all competing under the banner of amateur athletics.

If they want anything more than zero, go pro or change the definition of the word amateur.

I'm not familiar with you on this board, are you always like this? You're acting like somebody kicked your dog. It's a message board discussion. Relax.

ccured 03-18-2014 10:12 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4116331)
It's pretty rich that you call someone a "chotch" in the same post as saying Martin Jenkins would be bagging your groceries if it weren't for football. I'm not sure if that's racism or just pure ignorance at work?

Also, since you seem not to have noticed despite your infinite wisdom, you can't go to the NFL or NBA straight out of high school. You don't think it's mighty coincidental that the only two sports that generate money in college athletics are the only ones where the player can't turn professional?

And, again, you're somehow missing the whole point of the lawsuit. Every single D1 program has entered into an agreement not to compete on what contract to offer players. There is only one contract available to sign. Who are you to tell someone that's all they deserve?

But it's not one contract. Scholarships are not worth the same at every school. If it was one contract the players would sign and be assigned a team. Also the rules about not going to the NFL and the NBA are those organizations rules not the NCAA rules.

DJCatfish 03-18-2014 10:22 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorssc (Post 4116343)
College football is not the only option. Go overseas, go to Canada. They can go play pro ball if they want. NFL and NBA don't stipulate that you have to play in college, just that you've been out of high school for a certain number of years.

ReadR00sters got it right, scholarships are charity. Again, college sports is amateur athletics. Amateur stipulates non-paid. All schools agree on the same amount, you're correct. That amount is zero. It's not collusion, it's a group of institutions all competing under the banner of amateur athletics.

If they want anything more than zero, go pro or change the definition of the word amateur.

I'm not familiar with you on this board, are you always like this? You're acting like somebody kicked your dog. It's a message board discussion. Relax.

Scholarships are not charity. I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion. A football scholarship is contingent on a person having a specific skill set and using that skill set for the benefit of the athletic program. It is not freely given, and has nothing to do with the financial need of the person receiving it.

I do find humor in the relax comment though. I guess when someone points out that your comments are uniformed and, in some cases, pretty overtly racist you think it's a contentious affair. Get some thicker skin -- it's just a message board, remember?

taylorssc 03-18-2014 10:28 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4116356)
Scholarships are not charity. I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion. A football scholarship is contingent on a person having a specific skill set and using that skill set for the benefit of the athletic program. It is not freely given, and has nothing to do with the financial need of the person receiving it.

I do find humor in the relax comment though. I guess when someone points out that your comments are uniformed and, in some cases, pretty overtly racist you think it's a contentious affair. Get some thicker skin -- it's just a message board, remember?

Surprise, surprise. Somebody in Washington uses the word racist to bolster a weak argument.

ccured 03-18-2014 10:48 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCatfish (Post 4116356)
Scholarships are not charity. I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion. A football scholarship is contingent on a person having a specific skill set and using that skill set for the benefit of the athletic program. It is not freely given, and has nothing to do with the financial need of the person receiving it.

I do find humor in the relax comment though. I guess when someone points out that your comments are uniformed and, in some cases, pretty overtly racist you think it's a contentious affair. Get some thicker skin -- it's just a message board, remember?

Overtly racist? I must have missed something

Antiochus 03-18-2014 10:51 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
High Schools Charge for admission. Does that mean I should sue my old school to get my cut of the gate?

usc1 03-18-2014 10:52 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Yep put me on the Boo-freakin-hoo bandwagon

sandstorm2001 03-18-2014 11:23 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4116372)
Overtly racist? I must have missed something

Apparently noting that many college athletes wouldn't be going to college at all if not for their athletic abilities is considered racist. That goes for both grades and financial situation. Is it also racist when people want scholly's to be a 4 year deal and one of the reasons they give is that without the scholarships a lot if these guys wouldn't be able to finish school?

I will give him credit though there's no reason for us to assume this Clemson player is one of those athletes. Honestly I couldn't even tell you for sure if the guy is black, but I would assume he is. Does that make me racist?

Sir Cuss 03-18-2014 11:40 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccured (Post 4116316)
It is definitely not an equal partnership but what says it has to be

A partnership, for the most part, demands some type of profit sharing. That's not prevalent here. Screw "equal" partnership; there is NO partnership.

And clem5on sucks.

bigdawg77 03-18-2014 11:43 PM

Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA
 
The problem with this lawsuit is its basic argument is there are no other options outside of NCAA or NFL for football when that is in fact not true. You might not like the other options but they exist and since they exist there is not colluision. Also this lawsuit is arguing that every college degree has the same value when in fact they do not a degree from Vanderbilt or Stanford is worth more then one from Alabama or FSU it's your personal choice as to what you value football training or life training.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.