CockyTalk

CockyTalk (http://www.cockytalk.com/index.php)
-   The Cock Pit (http://www.cockytalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Director of Athletic Bands leaving (http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=205191)

SirBigSpur 03-19-2014 09:44 AM

Director of Athletic Bands leaving

Dr. Phillips has taken a new job at Colorado State University.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/03/1...-director.html

Gamecock1983 03-19-2014 10:16 AM

Re: Director of Athletic Bands leaving

Big promotion for her...it's a once-in-a-career type opportunity.

It was a pleasure to perform in the Carolina Band under her direction, and I hate to see her go. But, ultimately...our university just didn't have the positions open to offer her comparable professional growth.

The band will be ok...the culture is entirely different than it was 4-5 years ago.

Roosterboy 03-19-2014 10:19 AM

Sad to see her go, she really did a lot.
Hopefully she has set up a system that someone can pick up where she left off.

catdaddy66 03-19-2014 10:47 AM

She really upgraded the music and excitement, and made us the 'sound of the southeast' for sure! Hate to see her leave but wish her well and Godspeed!

evilpoptart 03-19-2014 10:49 AM

Hopefully Dr. Phillips successor will continue the progress she started. I thank Dr. Phillips for everything she did to improve the band here. It really has been an amazing transition.

RoosterBooster 03-19-2014 11:00 AM

Understand if she is doing the best thing for herself, but that sucks. She did a great job. I just hope they get a replacement with a similar philosophy.

Cockypantherfan 03-19-2014 11:10 AM

Sucks that she is leaving as she really injected new life into the band. It was a night/day difference after she took over. Hopefully we bring someone else in who can take what she put in place and run with it.

sandstorm2001 03-19-2014 11:13 AM

I think with what she's built and the ambition of Dr. Weiss we'll get a quality replacement.

Biocockanics 03-19-2014 11:17 AM

Bring someone fun for the fans in.

Like Ohio States band people....I don't groan when the band comes out....I'm actually interested in seeing what they do.

No sense in playing pop songs on brass...I can do that and I haven't played my trumpet in years.

Nureye 03-19-2014 12:42 PM

Uhgg. Terrible news.

sandstorm2001 03-19-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biocockanics (Post 4116622)
Bring someone fun for the fans in.

Like Ohio States band people....I don't groan when the band comes out....I'm actually interested in seeing what they do.

No sense in playing pop songs on brass...I can do that and I haven't played my trumpet in years.

Is Michael Jackson not considered pop? I thought he was like...the king of pop or something.

Does movie music count as pop music or no? When I play symphony gigs that would be the type of thing on a "pops" concert so I'm just not sure what your definition of pop is here.

At any rate it's not like you're forced to sit there and keep quiet or something, so there's not to groan about. I didn't manage to go to any games last season but my experience with the band is that there's generally a pretty good variety in types of musical selections from show to show. They can't pick music that will make everyone in the stadium happy every week.

yazoo 03-19-2014 02:54 PM

Happy for her. She was a great band director for the Gamecocks. Remember the Mizzou fans complaining that our road band was louder than their own band.

uscsandstorm85 03-19-2014 06:43 PM

Prepare for the sound system to be used more with this and the new SEC rules.

sc455 03-19-2014 07:17 PM

wow, so Colorado state is an upgrade..shows you what I know. seems like a downgrade..

yazoo 03-19-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc455 (Post 4117036)
wow, so Colorado state is an upgrade..shows you what I know. seems like a downgrade..

First, Colorado State is arguably not a step down. It has an enrollment of over 30,000 students located in Ft. Collins, a city in the middle of the Rockies. It is a beautiful place, and if you like to ski or the mountains, it would be a nice place to live. Second, she is getting a promotion from her current position.

Quote:

Phillips served as an associate professor and the associate director of bands in the USC School of Music in addition to directing the athletics bands. At Colorado State, she will be the director of bands, which includes guiding the school’s top concert ensemble.

“It’s an opportunity for me to eventually become a full professor someday, and it’s an opportunity for me to run a program completely from top-to-bottom and not just the athletic band,” she said. “These opportunities do not come along very often in this profession.”

davidmc467 03-19-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc455 (Post 4117036)

It is a pretty significant promotion for her.

#1TheBeast 03-19-2014 07:38 PM

Gonna miss her - we sat next to the band in the outback two years ago and it was fun to watch them.

She definitely is leaving us in a better place than we were before

RockRocks787 03-19-2014 10:36 PM

Yeah I hate this for the band. I was a member from 2010 to 2012, and the difference between the 2010 and 2011 season was just unbelievable. 2012 was even better and I'm sure that 2013 was great as well. Definitely gonna miss her.